FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Hello + question about dpi-pen pouches  (Read 4556 times)

Description: epi-pens, pouches, insulated

Offline SteveClark9

Hello + question about dpi-pen pouches
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:54:00 PM »
Hi.

I am looking for a source for a insulated epi-pen/medication carrying pouch.

My son has a severe pea/nut allergy and carries an epi-pen and Benadryl with him everywhere he goes.  Also has asthma so an inhaler is part of his go everywhere kit.

The challenge I have is leaving the epi-pen pouch in places like a car glove box in the winter and/or summer.  If the temp inside the pouch gets too hot or too cold there is no guarantee the epi-pen is effective.  Those things are not cheap to replace.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Hello + question about dpi-pen pouches
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2013, 01:44:47 PM »
No, they aren't.

The bottom line, though, is that you should NOT be leaving them in the car.  I know of no way to maintain temperature within the fairly tight specs that are required if you leave them in an enclosed, non-climate controlled space like a vehicle. 

There are a number of carriers that will allow men/boys to discreetly carry an autoinjector or two, however.

I know that we discuss that fairly often around here (for obvious reasons)!

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2013, 01:52:20 PM »
I'm reading OP funny because son carries everywhere but bag is in car glove box? Anyhow, is this to facilitate son self-carrying? I don't know how carrying an inhaler works (but hey, the decade is YOUNG I'm sure my number's coming up) but you may want to consider an Auvi-q because its form factor is rectangular and flat. That might make it a much easier constant EDC everday carry on person instead of stashing the giant magic marker sized object(s) in car. Which you can't do due to temp as stated above.

My husband and son prefer carrying Auvi-q. As the family pack mule I carry EpiPen brand in pockets/purse.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
Belt-style carriers can handle inhaler and injector combo, by the way. 

for self-carry, those can be very low-profile with a shirt which is untucked, like a polo shirt or tee.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2013, 02:16:41 PM »
I know they have them. I have seen them when I was looking for a holder and thinking about summer camping trips. I was not impressed, though, since the holders generally do not scream "here is the life-saving device!". I want the Epi to be easy to find in case of loss on consciousness. How old is your son? Could he carry his Epi yet or is he too young? If not, I know there are some cute styles for moms to wear over their shoulder (a little shoulder bag). I would not leave mine i in the car ever.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 01:52:10 PM »
As many have mentioned before me, please don't leave your EpiPens in the car.  In an emergency you won't be able to get into the car fast enough.  EpiPens really need to be kept with your son, attached to his person some way. 

I know several kids who like the KozyEpi carriers because they come in fun designs and can be worn as either an over the shoulder pouch or around the waist.  They come in various sizes to hold EpiPens, Allerject/AuviQ, and inhalers.  I prefer the SPIbelt because it's smaller, fits tight to my body, and stretches to hold just about anything I put in there (2 EpiPens + inhaler + phone + key + money).  For climate control, we like the Frio wallet.  For water activities, Otter boxes and Aquapac pouches work extremely well as long as you inspect the seal every time they close.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum