FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Would you trust this label?  (Read 3342 times)

Description:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Would you trust this label?
« on: December 02, 2013, 06:34:19 PM »
I went with ds to the store tonight to look for peppermint stick ice cream. Our local store brand had this warning...This product is manufactured on common manufacturing equipment that processes peanuts and tree nuts. Effective procedures are in place to avoid cross contamination.

I had feelings both way so I asked ds if it sounded safe for him to eat and he wasn't sure either. It was the first time I'd seen it. Just curious how you guys feel about it. For the record we didn't buy it.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Would you trust this label?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
Once burned, twice shy. I don't trust that labeling.

But that's just me.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 08:32:21 PM »
Depends by what they mean.

Turtle Mountain cleans and tests - that is good for me.

Whole Foods/365 labeling has a similar statement about cleaning (no testing mentioned) and it meant several mystery reactions for DS1 to be the point that I thought I was crazy.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
I never trust that type of labeling. What does "effective effective cleaning practices" mean?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2013, 09:37:14 AM »
Not safe for us, as no amount of cleaning on shared lines/equipment seems to prevent reactions here.  Much like YouKnowWho, we had many mystery reactions driving us up the wall only to find out it was something made on shared (and thoroughly cleaned) lines but not labelled as such because the company declared that they had 'effective procedures to eliminate contamination.'  No. 
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2013, 11:07:11 AM »
I never trust that type of labeling. What does "effective effective cleaning practices" mean?

We don't, either-- not with some allergens, that is.

Cleaned lines are one of those things that SOME people with higher thresholds may tolerate.  So it is really individual-- we have had pretty good luck trusting these kinds of processing statements (in the past, I mean) with:

soy
wheat
milk

and not-so-good-luck with egg (depending upon what the manufacturer MEANS by "cleaned"-- and this involved phone calls to determine, btw), but now that DD's egg threshold is higher, she can do a lot of the things that used to be off-limits.

With nuts, we've been burned every time-- and mostly, we find out after the fact that there are shared lines.  She always knows.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
They should have left it at the first sentence because it imparts valuable information for decision making on risk. The second sentence is lame like it's making the decision for you without any tangible reason like a Turtle Mountain provides on manufacture and test. I think that's why it reads strangely.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2013, 12:12:17 PM »
DS1 tolerates shared egg lines, but shared lines with wheat (and sometimes even facility) is BAD news.  Allergist wants to stick with him having shared lines on the egg front (tolerance building or not removing another subset of foods, who knows).

Obviously, IMMV.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2013, 12:24:02 PM »
Oh that's true. I ignore shared lines for tree nut and egg for oldest. For youngest I shut my eyes and cross my fingers on most allergens to concentrate on wheat and milk.

jschwab

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2013, 06:01:33 PM »
Before I always ate most things made on shared equipment (milk) and it was fine. But with this new nut allergy, it feels like a completely different ballgame. My reactions to cross-contamination have not been full-blown and if I really wanted to buy this product on a regular basis I would try it. I don't trust the labeling completely but I don't think it's completely bogus either when manufacturers use language like this. If it was a one-off purchase, I would probably not buy it. If I needed this kind of ice cream in my life, I would try it, KWIM?

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2013, 08:11:21 PM »
If I needed this kind of ice cream in my life,

I completely understand what you meant there, but this still made me smile a mile wide.   ;D
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

jschwab

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2013, 09:11:12 PM »
If I needed this kind of ice cream in my life,

I completely understand what you meant there, but this still made me smile a mile wide.   ;D

Well, everyone has their non-negotiables :). For us, I am much more likely to risk trying a staple that we use every day than just any kind of whatever thing. The risk is worth it in terms of quality of life to be able to buy, say, Bob's Red Mill, even though it's shared lines.

Even though I cannot eat it, I will support anyone who needs ice cream in their life!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2013, 11:41:34 AM »
Thanks for your opinions, I really wasn't sure what to think. It made me uncomfortable enough to not buy it though. I like that they acknowledge the risk and wonder if it isn't the same with most others, just not listed on label.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2013, 08:53:22 PM »
You could call them and ask what it means and get more details and that would probably make your decision for you. 

I don't like that particular label.  I do like Turtle Mountain's labels and we use their stuff no problem.