FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Question about alcoholic bevarages---no ingredient lists!  (Read 10725 times)

Description:

Former Member

Question about alcoholic bevarages---no ingredient lists!
« on: December 27, 2013, 10:42:27 AM »
I really don`t know why the law does not require ingredient lists for alcoholic bevarages.  Does anyone know of a link where I can find general information?  I am concerned about pa/tna and would like to know about the Jose Cuervo mini maragaritas.  It is a small 6 - 8 ounce already made margarita.  Thanks!

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Question about alcoholic bevarages---no ingredient lists!
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2013, 01:47:12 PM »
DS has not had any problems being around this. And I haven't had problems consuming it. :)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2013, 02:36:33 PM »
I avoid nut liqueurs (Frangellico, amaretto, etc. and nut flavored vodka), but I've always been fine with standard vodka, tequila, rum, packaged pre-mixed drinks, etc.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2013, 03:49:52 PM »
I have very different allergies, but I will say that all of the companies that I have contacted have been very nice about answering ingredient questions.  They won't always give me a complete list to read myself, but will go over a list and tell me if I need to avoid things.

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 08:29:49 PM »
I've always called the manufacturer, and like others get good information/responses. Things I've found are not safe:

- Bailey's told me everything is cross-contaminated...once they added the flavors it became a no-go for me
- Same with Kahlua
- Carolan's Irish Cream liqueur is safe :)
- I make own Kahlua :)
- Bombay Gin Sapphire has almonds
- some artisan beers might use nut products in their brewing

good luck!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline krasota

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2013, 12:47:35 AM »
As for why it's not labeled, it's because it's not required to be.

Write your Congress-critter.

I usually have good luck contacting the beverage manufacturer.

Alcohol falls under Dept of the Treasury, I believe.  The Tax & Trade Bureau.

Packaged foods fall under the FDA.  Fresh meat falls under the USDA.  Different labeling requirements on those.  Different departments, different cabinets, different headaches.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Former Member

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2013, 11:32:42 AM »
As for why it's not labeled, it's because it's not required to be.

Yes, like I said in my first line in my original post, I don`t know why the law does not require it.  If the person is consuming it, they need to know the ingredients, no matter who is regulating it.

Thanks for the help, everyone.  I could not get the manufacturer to help, so I was hoping people here would know.  The person I spoke with at the company was clueless.  I emailed through the website and they did not reply.

What about wine?  Is that okay for pa/tna?  Unfortunately, often alcohol is offerred in social settings with no time at the moment to contact the manufacturer. 

I am trying to figure out what general alcoholic drinks should be avoided due to high risk of peanut cross contamination, sort of similar to the idea of avoiding ice cream and bakery items. 

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2013, 02:09:55 PM »
Plain wine should be about the safest of beverages, truly-- it's not much "processed" other than bottling and aging, and fruit is about all that goes into it (generally speaking).  The only concern in wine is with agents intended to 'clarify' wines, generally reds.

Fining agents aren't a concern really if you're PA/TNA only-- it's those with fish and egg allergy that have to be most concerned about that, and most vintners are open about what kinds of fining methods (if any) they employ.  Get to know what various wine-making regions tend toward, and let that be your guide.

I'd avoid manufacturers that produce a lot of frou-frou flavored beverages.  Personally that means most liqueurs, ready-to-drink-fruity-things, etc. are off limits.

Wine spritzers are a good substitute for the latter, by the way. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2013, 11:05:14 PM »
Beer gives me hives.

It never made sense until a few years ago when labelling laws were being improved in Canada.  Well, except the labelling laws regarding alcohol.  ~)

Offline starlight

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2014, 08:14:58 AM »
I saw these on the shelf of my grocery store http://adultbeverage.co/, so I emailed. I mentioned the peanut allergy and asked about tree nuts, excluding coconut. Here's the (very quick) response I received:

I am happy to report that our products are peanut free and made in a nut free facility! Enjoy...

At time I'm posting this, they're only making Adult Strawberry Milk, Adult Chocolate Milk, and Adult Limeade. If they come up with any other flavors, we'll have to check again that this still applies. I know they don't sound all that great at first, but since Kahlua and Bailey's are out, depending on how these taste they might make ok mixers...

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2014, 07:46:50 AM »
Thought this would interest some adults here (no guarantees that it's correct, but here ya go):

The Ultimate Nut Allergy Alcohol Guide
May 12, 2014
http://www.nutfreeninja.com/blog/2014/5/16/the-ultimate-nut-allergy-alcohol-guide
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline nameless

« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2014, 05:35:36 PM »
thanks for the link!

I posted a comment reminding about cross-x at bars...very very high chance with how things are made.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2014, 10:26:51 AM »
I worry about drinks when restaurants serve a lot of shrimp. I worry about the lemon slice u less I get the sense that they are sliced at the bar.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2014, 01:55:11 PM »
And I just worry about citrus slices at a bar at all.  But I guess that one saves me from worrying about shellfish contamination. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2014, 08:39:25 PM »
Oh I bet. Yeah--far more than I should first shrimp XC.