FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Japanese food b-e-y-o-n-d sushi  (Read 2847 times)

Description:

twinturbo

Japanese food b-e-y-o-n-d sushi
« on: December 29, 2013, 07:40:21 PM »
oyako don

This is from distant memory because it's been years since I've cooked with eggs. I don't remember ever measuring and like any standard home food there's no real single recipe.

1-2 eggs depending on size
1/4-1/2 c broth of choice (dashi if you like it)
3-5 shiitake (reconstituted if dried)
green onion
brown onion
pinch sugar
dash of mirin (rice wine)
2 T light soy sauce

slivered chicken thigh or breast

Mix broth, mirin, soy sauce and pinch sugar together. Pour into pan to come to light boil, add slivered chicken to cook, once chicken starts to cook fairly well add slivered shiitake and brown onion, let cook a while longer then add slivered green onion 1-2 minutes before done. Done meaning most of liquid has boiled off and all ingredients are nearly cooked. You still need a little liquid left to steam eggs.

Mix eggs together (no need to beat not baking) then pour over all of over ingredients in pan. Cover and let steam until lightly set. Serve over medium grain rice unless you really like another rice. But if you plan on serving this in a bowl with rice specifically using chopsticks you'll need some sort of rice sticky enough to use with chopsticks.

oyako = parent and child
don/donburi = bowl

There are other types of donburi, gyuudon (beef bowl), katsudon, butadon, and others. Essentially, you got eggs and leftovers (and rice) you got a meal.

Offline Jessica

Re: Japanese food b-e-y-o-n-d sushi
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2013, 07:43:47 PM »
Yumm!! Thank you-this is the kind of donburi my mom always made. Minus the mushrooms but I might try it with them.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2013, 08:38:26 PM »
How about the hard fried eggs on both sides w/soy sauce. Did your mom do those? It's the only way I'd eat fried eggs.

Speaking of eggs I'm going to look at cotton soft cheesecake recipes maybe if it's low carb enough and no flour becca and catelyn can use it.

Cotton Soft Cheesecake. It does call for some cake flour but maybe sub out the wheat flour for more corn flour or tapioca flour. It has a lot of egg whites so I wonder if that works better for becca because there's no crust.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 08:46:42 PM by twinturbo »

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2013, 08:47:52 PM »
Yes! I always loved a fried egg on top of a pile of rice with soy sauce on top. I put soy sauce on almost everything. I even eat potato salad mixed with rice and soy sauce.  Someday my blood pressure will be through the roof.

Something that I think is gross now, but ate a lot as a kid, was raw egg mixed with rice. She would beat up a raw egg, add soy sauce and ajinomoto, and mix it with hot rice. Probably not hot enough to cook the egg. At some point I just stopped being able to eat it but I loved it as a kid. I also add egg to my junk food ramen. Oh speaking of egg-omelet rice. Yum. Rice with meat and onions mixed with ketchup (and probably something else) and a plain omelet laid on top.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2013, 09:00:31 PM »
When I was a kid living with my grandparents we'd eat the raw egg with mountain yam over rice. I think my mom Americanized out of that. Or maybe she didn't have time to track down mountain yams in the middle of Massachusetts, lol.

I <3 MSG. Boy do I miss instant ramen.

Eat some cheesecake for me while I gnaw wistfully on some vegan, gluten free FA friendly 'dessert'. I always feel like a whiner when I think that way because at least I have food. It may not be what I want but it'll fuel my body.

I might fudge things a bit later posting some dim sum (yum cha) items. Those can be tweaked to be MFA friendly.

Maybe becca will post her potsticker recipe w/pics. I think it's becca?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2013, 09:05:08 PM by twinturbo »

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2013, 10:42:43 AM »
I have made pot stickers, or dumplings.  I am mostly wheat free these days, though, so did not do them this year.  Was considering for New year's, but I am tired of labor intensive cooking this season.  Just did a turkey dinner Saturday. 

My dumplings are just some ground meat(turkey or pork), green onion, maybe a little celery, if you like, a bit of soy sauce, ginger, garlic.  Oh, a teaspoon or so of corn starch.  Mix together.  I use purchased wrappers, but have also made them.  Nasoya are safe for many allergens, I believe, but check. 

The big improvement in my dumplings was seeing how one of my (Chinese) friends wraps hers.  She and her girls served them when we were there for Chinese New Year, once.  They simply place the filling in the middle of the wrapper, and pinch the corners together.  Moisten it a bit to stick.  They sit flat, this way, like a little "purse", and you steam in a bit of water and olive oil on a non-stick pan, covered, and brown once the water evaporates.  About 10 mins for a pan full.  I will see if I have a saved image of mine.  I may have posted them before. 

Found it:

« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 10:46:28 AM by becca »
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy