DS, 4 yrs old, had a reaction to a nibble of shrimp last Wednesday. He had small red bumps on his face and his lip swelled up. I gave benedryl and took him to the pediatrician the next day. Pediatrician said he is allergic to shellfish, put him on prednisone for 3 days, and gave a script for an epipen.
Last night he got a welt on his face after eating pizza (a brand he has eaten many times). It resolved with Benedryl and there was no other reaction. Others suggested his system and skin are still sensitive from the shellfish reaction. I have gotten such wonderful advice from everyone under the welcome section--I am brand new to all this!
We will not be able to get the epipen until at least Monday. He will see an allergist at the first of February--3 weeks.
To what extent should I be micromanaging? Is there a typical threshold level? I mean, I know to not let him eat any shellfish. I am going to keep him away from fish and restaurants that have any shellfish on their menu, as well. I also know to avoid items that note that they are processed with shellfish.
Should I worry about the fish food (which probably has shrimp) for his pet beta fish (in his bedroom)? His gummy vitamins? Would he be likely to react if he touched the fish food?
I have been trying to find information about typical threshold levels for shellfish allergies, but I can't find anything. Is he likely to have suddenly developed a very low threshold? Could he suddenly react to touching something like the fishfood, whether he ingests it or not?