FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Deli Sandwiches safe PA/TN and Sesame  (Read 5866 times)

Description: Are Quiznos, Subway or Jimmy Johns safe?

Offline Debher7122

Deli Sandwiches safe PA/TN and Sesame
« on: January 11, 2014, 02:00:31 PM »
 :coffee: trying to find a place to order a party sandwich tray that is peanut, tree nut and sesame safe. Any suggestions??

twinturbo

Re: Deli Sandwiches safe PA/TN and Sesame
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 02:14:17 PM »
Quizno's for PA. Sesame is at least heavy cross-contamination concern. If a burrito can be subbed Chipotle should work.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:09:10 AM »
For peanut and tree nut I'd look for Boars Head (their mortadello does not contain pistachios) deli meats.

Sesame is the difficult one.  I have never found safe sandwich rolls I trusted anywhere.

Can you do a meat & cheese tray, and just buy safe bread?  My DD's current favorite store bought bread is Pepperidge Farms Swirl Rye and Pump.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 12:21:27 PM »
Yeah, sesame-safe BREAD is a huge problem.

:-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 12:37:46 AM »
I'm sesame allergic, and in addition to Pepperidge Farm, I personally use King's Hawaiian, and I buy their mini-sub rolls. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2014, 05:01:13 PM »
I'm sesame allergic, and in addition to Pepperidge Farm, I personally use King's Hawaiian, and I buy their mini-sub rolls.

After reading this I checked out their website and emailed for clarification about the egg ingredient.  Is it possible, a sesame safe roll with no egg wash?  My DD can eat baked egg, but NOT egg wash (you know - to make roll tops shiny or to stick on seeds).  The egg is mixed in the batter, not washed on top.

We went to Target today.  That's the only store that sells their bread here.  We left with sweet rolls, savory rolls, hamburger buns, and mini sub rolls.  There were more kinds.  DD's eyes were all buggy in disbelief.  Really?  A roll my friends parents can buy for a party and I won't have to bring a homemade one????

We haven't tried them yet.....but the possibilities are exciting.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 11:16:33 PM »
That's exactly how we feel about our regional brand, Franz.  Yes, they make some seasonal cookies that are unsafe, and some of the multigrain frou-frou bread has a (low) risk of almond XC...

but most of what they make is SAFE for DD.  Even donuts, nevermind hotdog and hamburger buns.  It makes me giddy just thinking about how easy it is to just go... BUY a loaf of sourdough sandwich bread. :happydance:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 12:38:58 PM »

Pepperidge Farm has safe breads?  Do they label for may contain or do you keep track yourself?

I'm googling, but not yet finding information.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 01:21:22 PM »
Yes, Pepperidge Farms for sliced bread, but not buns.  I don't think we've ever found a safe bun from them due to sesame cross contamination which they label for.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 09:26:54 PM »
Thanks.  Is the sesame safe bread fresh or frozen?  I'm not actually sure it's even available here, but I'll look.

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 10:32:24 PM »
Fresh