Food Allergy Support is now on Twitter. Follow us @FASupport. You may also follow our Tweets in our new global footer at the bottom of the page here at FAS!

Specific Food Allergies > Sulfite/Food Additive Sensitivities

What to do when having a sulfite reaction

(1/4) > >>

bentleysmom:
The week before Christmas,  I was given the antibiotic sulfur,  since then I have been to er 4 times, have been living on steroids and benadryl.
I had a BAD reaction to sherbert on Saturday night, read the label had e preservatives,  and four food colorings. (Mymhusband brought it home because I had been feeling so sick, without reading the label I ate a small bowl)
ever sinse then I react everytime I eat. I have been eating only oatmeal w/cinnamon,  milk, sugar and whole milk, homemade bread(contains yeast), chicken,  rice, salt pepper, air popped popcorn with butter. ALL ORGANIC FROM WHOLE FOODS AND TRADER JOES.
I have been using benadryl is there anything else that I can do to get rid if the toxins?

twinturbo:
My understanding of sulfa antibiotics is that they are unrelated to the food additive sulfite. An anaphylactoid reaction is treated the same as an anaphylactic reaction. Allergic reactions are not toxins.

In the wake of a really bad reaction many things your body would normally tolerate set it off making it seem like you're reacting to many things. To sort out the subjective from the objective you should see an allergist that ideally has a good understanding of antibiotic as well as food allergies to help you sort this out in a clinical setting. Chasing down the idea of toxins and organic foods won't help you pin down the proper allergens to practice avoidance. Although familiarizing yourself with IgE-mediated allergic reactions and keeping a food diary would help once you get the right board certified specialist.

What symptoms presented during the sulfa drugs? How were they treated?

SilverLining:

--- Quote from: twinturbo on January 16, 2014, 11:32:04 AM ---My understanding of sulfa antibiotics is that they are unrelated to the food additive sulfite. An anaphylactoid reaction is treated the same as an anaphylactic reaction. Allergic reactions are not toxins.


--- End quote ---

That is what the allergist told me when we were discussing my son's serious reaction (not anaphylactic) to a sulfa antibiotic.  The allergist said it is NOT related to sulfite (and he has had not reactions to foods).

leesieleesie:
I also developed a sulfite sensitivity (it is not called a true allergy) after taking a course of SMZ-TMP (sulfa antibiotic) in the fall. Have also ended up at the ER and at the urgent care clinic as a result. You will read (and many doctors will say) they are not related but IMO they are. (I've had two doctors tell me I was just suffering from anxiety!)

I'm sorry you're suffering from this, too; it is awful. I can't even color my hair anymore without an ER trip! I am currently on the hunt for an allergist, but in the meantime I am avoiding sulfites as much as possible, taking B12, cooking organic, no longer eating out, and carrying Benadryl with me at all times.

I recommend a site with a free e-book. Google "Headaches, Asthma, Fries, and a Cola" for tons of information to help you. Good luck. I know what you're going through, unfortunately.

leesieleesie:
Also, here is one link for you. http://www.learningtarget.com/nosulfites/index.htm

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Reply


Go to full version