FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Looking for some Help and guidance!!  (Read 6718 times)

Description:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Looking for some Help and guidance!!
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2014, 10:02:46 PM »
I've messaged two members, both of whom recently moved from Arizona with a link to this thread. They may be able to help with allergist recs.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2014, 10:04:51 PM »
Oh--what I didn't mention was that my food allergies are adult onset.  In 2004, after we moved to Houston, I started eating a lot more shellfish. In 2005, BOOM--allergic.  And to sesame, too. 

It happens.  It's awful. But it happens.  :grouphug:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2014, 11:56:12 PM »
Macabre,  Thanks so much!!  Any recommendations would be great!!  It's interesting how you said you started eating a lot more of it.  That's what I did too.   Cravings for things that had soy in it and then reaction found out soy and sesame.   Then ate peanut butter for a week straight because I couldn't get enough of it.  7th day throat closed and we were at the hospital.  Allergist told me (I may explain it wrong) but sometimes the body starts craving things almost like it is trying to fix it and then boom.....

twinturbo, The problem with her is if I said I needed it she or my Dad would give it, but I would have to be able to say that.  I know they would call ambulance and use it if they found me.  I think our biggest problem is just the area here.   They have parrots on the property, lots of horses, cows, chickens, etc.  Parrots in their house.  So lot's of peanuts around......   My dad is pretty good about it.  If I go over there won't take things out etc.  Just lot's of allergens around. 

I know my husband has started making a couple comments here and there.  He is very supportive and does what he can.   We have thought about looking in other areas as well for housing.  But the area we want is about 2400 sq feet nice homes.   Other areas would be like 1700....   So pretty big difference.  And if he is able to stay in San Diego like we are hoping we would rather move right there instead of having to move again.  We are still trying to wrap our heads around the possible move overseas and how that would be for me.  I know my husband and I both agree we are trying to get out there ASAP, but at same time going to try to see allergist here ASAP as well.   

We are trying to get into housing fast.  And are putting more pressure that way.  Luckily we have our own space over here so that helps.  Trying to be more careful and stress it to her when I can.   I'm thinking about bringing her with me to the allergist so they can stress it to her....  That was one idea I had....     And we have talked to our kids about it and told them if they eat peanut butter at school for lunch that is ok if the wash their hands and rinse mouth (I think it is actually sunflower butter at their school), but when they are at home or even at their grandparents they need mommy or daddy's permission first.

Offline Penny

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 03:51:51 AM »
I no longer live in Arizona - but when I did, I used Arizona Asthma & Allergy Institute. http://www.azsneeze.com/  They've got three offices in PHX including one in Glendale, which is N. PHX, closer to Anthem.

I'm glad you found this website. Listen to what the wise women here have to say! They came to my rescue years ago when I was diagnosed with adult-onset peanut allergy. Best of luck to you.

twinturbo

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2014, 10:46:47 AM »
I got the answer from the other Arizona member. I'm hoping she'll share the one she went to even though it was a horrible experience so OP doesn't end up at the same place unknowingly.  :misspeak:

Offline jenavy21

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2014, 03:29:13 PM »
Thank you Penny!  Did you have a good experience?   And I have found a lot of helpful women and information already!!  I just wish I would have found them all sooner!!

twinturbo I am all for who to avoid!!!

twinturbo

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2014, 05:24:28 PM »
I know! And I apologize for still not having a clear answer. The other FAS member knows it was in Phoenix but doesn't remember the name of the doctor or practice. I did, however, take an initial look at the physician search at AAAAI.org. It's the best vetted listing of allergists so you don't end up getting a doctor who specializes in environmental allergies dabbling in food anaphylaxis. Not always but sometimes the two are mutually exclusive in terms of best known practices and up to date knowledge.

You're jammed for time I'll take another look today and see if I can sniff out a good one. Here's the link to the search in the meantime. Use geographical tab and try either zip code or state. See who is near you and maybe start sorting by insurance plan acceptance. http://aaaai.execinc.com/edibo/FindAnAllergist

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2014, 05:42:37 PM »
Another means of vetting your food allergist (potential) is to use their name to suss out their background and training-- figure out where they did their allergy rotation, where they went for internship, etc-- who they are associated with.  There are some BIG names and BIG institutions in terms of research top-guns.  That's who you want, given a choice. 

For example-- while I live in a small nondescript town on the west coast, I have a top-notch allergist.  How do I know?  (Well, I have pet "test" questions for food allergists, but that's another post.)

1.  Med school background includes Mt. Sinai.  And Sampson.  ding-ding-ding-ding-ding!!

2.  He's answered "ask the expert" questions over at AAAI's website.  (winner again!)

3.  He keeps in touch with his old homies-- like Sicherer et. al.  He goes to meetings and works hard to stay current.  He publishes (though heaven knows how he finds the time) and serves on committees/boards with other allergists.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.