login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Remembering and thanking FA 504 trailblazers and advocates  (Read 3667 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Remembering and thanking FA 504 trailblazers and advocates
« on: January 21, 2014, 11:29:30 AM »
FA 504 Plans seem to be a "hot topic" these days, but I think it's important to acknowledge and thank those individuals who were involved in education and advocacy early on before the idea of FA 504 Plans gained such legitimacy in our community.  Their efforts have undoubtedly helped to keep many FA children safer and more included at school.  :heart:

So this is a thread to say thank you to those individuals and to let them know how much their efforts are appreciated.  Feel free to post and thank whoever has helped you in your school 504 Plan journey.

---------------------------------------

A few threads to remember ...

"Why Not Obtaining a 504 is a Disservice to Your Child"
http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/why-not-obtaining-section-504-for-your-child-is-a-disservice-to-your-child

Re: AllergicChild blog post re: 504: input/discussion?

---------------------------------------

Re: Docs helping patients to surf the internet

I'm beyond proud of FAS for being the force behind the shift toward Section 504 for LTFA, and for being home to several people who have said "No.  I'm NOT going to go away.  I'm going to win, and if I burn bridges so be it, because this is WRONG."  I am in awe of the fortitude that it takes to pursue due process or court action with a school (or other organization) when it is so much easier to just walk away.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 09:49:25 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Remembering and thanking FA 504 trailblazers and advocates
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 11:44:01 AM »
Thank you to:

Gail
CM
Momcat
gvmom
Notnutty
Rhonda
WarmT (and no one probably realizes just how much everyone in the country who got a 504 after June 2008 owes her)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 01:32:23 PM »
Macabre is FAR too modest, let me just say.  Because probably people underestimate just how instrumental she has been when they stumble upon Wrightslaw in their search for food allergy 504 assistance.  :heart:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline yelloww

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 06:20:56 PM »
Gail, I don't know if you read here still or not, but your posts way back on the old board came at the most perfect time for us. They changed my way of thinking for the better and I think my son's quality of life has been much better for it too.

The other thread for me was the "why I am not sending in safe treat" thread from the old board. That was also quite timely.

I know our lives would be much different if it weren't for your posts there. I can't even begin to tell you what a difference those posts made in our lives.  :heart: :yes: :thumbsup:

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2014, 08:22:58 PM »
Gail and Cam's mom helped me so much! My ds was the first in the district to have a 504 for pa. Miss them both!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2014, 01:20:19 AM »
Ryansmom who had the ORIGINAL "Cadillac" of 504 plans and so graciously shared so much of it for years and years.   :heart:

Really, though, my epiphany was in GVmom's "I'm not sending treats" thread at PA.com.  That changed me, and it's the reason why I continue to pay it forward here every day.

That one thread made my daughter's life immeasurably better, and opened my eyes (and ultimately-- hers) to the world in a way that I'd not allowed myself to think about it until then.  Not really.

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2014, 03:35:26 PM »
Thanking the list above, most certainly.

I'd like to add my thanks to mommabear (esp discussions vs Gail) who inadvertently forced me to REALLY get the difference between 504 and IEP . . . which made me learn 504 even more.

And as to the "I'm not sending in safe treats" thread . . . I must echo CM's comments above.  That discussion (and my own experiences with son and school at the time) were life altering for me.

A "later" thank you would go to Stinky here for her thread as to why an IHP/IHCP "just won't do" . . . and her education of the school/district in her situation.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline daisy madness

« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2014, 09:13:52 AM »
I'd like to send a thank you to TwinTurbo and Macabre.  They've both been immensely helpful to me and are gifted at reading through paragraphs of information and pulling out the key points without getting distracted by the rest of it.  I'm still muddling through our issues with the school district but I'm hoping for a resolution soon.  When I get one, I'll post it. 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2014, 05:54:17 PM »
Is this the safe treats thread?  This was before I joined you all  :).

http://www.peanutallergy.com/boards/i-am-not-sending-in-safe-treats

Offline yelloww

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 08:39:43 PM »
Yep, that's the thread! Blast from the past with some of the old user names!

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2014, 10:18:52 AM »
That was a blast from the past! Ended up reading that one and some others last night. Weird going back to that stage of this journey.  So many people I miss though.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 11:42:32 AM »
YES!   :heart:   That is the one.  The one, really.

While "disservice" is one that opened my eyes intellectually... and strategically...

"Treats" is the one that opened my heart and soul.    :smooch:

BIG shout-out to Ark, Nutternomore, lilpig and Notnutty (as well as gvmom and saknjmom) in that thread, in addition to those I mentioned before.

In some ways, it's a bit depressing to read my own posts some 8 years on, and realize that some things have not changed for my DD.  It's like holding back the sea.   :-[   Any break in your resolve and the dike begins to crumble. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Those reading it for the first time, though-- should be aware that much of the 'meat' in some posts has been gutted with time.  Not all posts, and some of the very powerful ideas are intact-- but there are parts of that thread that are no longer there.  Some of us were prescient enough to grab full versions during the 2008 exodus.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2014, 02:20:43 PM by CMdeux »

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2014, 12:05:59 PM »
*sigh* I think my full version is on my Dell laptop that died before I did successful full backup . . .

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!