login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: EMERGENCY. Need help NOW  (Read 33940 times)

Description:

Offline catelyn

• typing is not exercise
    • my diy blog
Re: EMERGENCY. Need help NOW
« Reply #120 on: February 01, 2014, 08:57:55 PM »
Adrenal crisis is not something you want to happen.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #121 on: February 04, 2014, 03:18:25 PM »
She went to a good allergist today.  The allergist's theory is that mono threw her immune system into overdrive.  Then her body went nuts over the typhoid vaccine.  The prednisone calmed it down, but when she went off it (and she did taper down), she had a rebound effect.  So now she is going up to a higher dose, then tapering off very gradually, over a six week period.  She goes back for a recheck just before finishing the lowest dose. 

The doctor said that if she is ok after tapering off, they may never know whether her theory was correct or if it was something else.  Which, to me, means carrying the epi-pen long-term, because who knows whether she may reacted to something that she seldom gets exposed to?
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #122 on: February 04, 2014, 04:39:46 PM »
 :grouphug:  Glad that at least it isn't something new and common-- and that she would need to LEARN major avoidance skills to manage.

You bit your tongue on the gradual taper on the steroid, right?   ;)
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #123 on: February 06, 2014, 03:43:58 PM »
Just got off te phone with DD.  it is not related, other than in a Murphy's Law type of way.  But DD sprained her wrist.  She was running and tripped on broken pavement.  First time running since being diagnosed with the mono that started the whole ordeal.  Spent most of yesterday getting checked out first at te university health center, then the hospital.
USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #124 on: February 06, 2014, 06:44:37 PM »
Ouch on the writs.  I hope it does not cause her too much trouble.  And I hope this will be the end of the reactions!  I would feel more comfortable having epi on hand after an experience like that.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #125 on: February 06, 2014, 06:55:25 PM »
Sorry about the wrist.  Is the allergist going to do any testing?
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #126 on: February 06, 2014, 06:57:14 PM »
I think only if she continues to have problems.
USA

bluedotairambulance

« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2023, 08:07:51 AM »
I am deeply sorry to hear about the challenging situation your friend is facing in Cuba. Anaphylactic reactions can be life-threatening, and having access to epinephrine is crucial for emergency treatment.

While I don't have direct information about obtaining epinephrine injections in Cuba, I want to emphasize the importance of reaching out to the local medical authorities, hospitals, or clinics for guidance on obtaining the necessary medication. They might have alternatives or solutions to ensure your friend's safety.

In urgent medical situations, air ambulance services like Bluedot Air Ambulance can be valuable resources for ensuring prompt medical transport to a suitable healthcare facility. Bluedot is known for its global reach and quick response times in arranging medical evacuations. If the situation escalates or your friend requires specialized medical attention not available locally, considering an air ambulance for transport to a more advanced medical facility may be an option to explore.

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2023, 01:02:41 PM »
This happened 9 years ago. And if you are a US-based company, you would not have been allowed in Cuba at all at that time.
USA