FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Waivers and "Limitations of Liability"  (Read 3400 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Waivers and "Limitations of Liability"
« on: January 25, 2014, 08:12:27 AM »
When working on the index threads, this is one area that confuses me a little so I thought it'd be a good idea to start a general discussion thread.  Here are some threads and general ideas that I'll stick in here as conversation starters.

-------------------------

Schools trying to say that they are not legally obligated to administer meds.
***UPDATE*** ADA/other Federal laws require the administration of Epi-pens?

Limits on liability from law/regulation
Example:
NJ stock epi bill 12/16/13
A lot of previous wording for stuff like this talked about "good faith" mistakes, but what if somebody makes a huge mistake & they really should have known better?  Does the school have some responsibility to some minimum standard?

Another Dumb 504 Question
Do NOT sign a waiver of anything-- particularly not a waiver which limits their obligation to administer life-saving medications.  Period.

Another time the issue seems to get fuzzy is "self-carrying" meds vs "responsibility to self-administer"

Any thoughts?
« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:05:54 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Waivers and "Limitations of Liability"
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2014, 08:27:11 AM »
"Anaphylaxis In Schools and Other Child Care Settings"
http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2014/01/anaphylaxis-in-schools-and-other-child-care-settings/

regardless of whether or not a student is capable of self injecting, they will still require the help of others

parents should NEVER sign a waiver absolving the school of responsibility if epinephrine was NOT injected

(As far as when to use epinephrine, I would recommend discussing this issue with your allergist and getting a written plan from your allergist.)

« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 11:40:14 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Last Edit: February 01, 2014, 07:11:40 AM by LinksEtc »