Strange Symptom Last Night

Started by notashrimpwimp, January 30, 2014, 12:42:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notashrimpwimp

Last night, I noticed sharp pains in my chest when I bent over to check something on my chair. When I tried to take a deep breath they intensified and that familiar chest heaviness returned. I hoped that using my inhaler would reverse the symptoms, but they did not respond to it at all. I also flushed quickly and was wheezing pretty badly.

I know I was having trouble earlier in the evening at a meeting involving people eating dinner, but thought the Benadryl I took alleviated the symptoms. I did notice that I was itchy and had a sharp chest pain, but both subsided.

Have any of you experienced that sort of needle-like pain in your chest when trying to breathe? What would that be indicative of?

Why, after a year free of Epi-pens, have I suddenly required them once more? Is it that I am more sensitive again or is it that I am reacting to something else?

jenavy21

I don't have answers on what it means.  But I have had that same thing happen.  And actually happened tonight.  Earlier I was exposed to peanut (but inhaled not eaten), took Benadryl and Pepcid, all tightness subsided, but left with sharp pains in chest when breathing, some wheezing (on and off), and an overall weird feeling with palpitations and needle like feelings.  I went ahead and used my inhaler because I was getting a very barky cough even though felt fine for most part.   I was thinking about if that would be a reason for Epi if heart rhythm was off.   

I hope you feel better soon!!!

becca

I do not know it that is typical, but i think, anything is possible with allergy symptoms.  They seem to run the gamut.

How are you today?
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Macabre

I have had chest pains during a reaction. Sharp. I don't know that they corresponded with my breathing. This was during a shrimp XC reaction--my worst one. It was the symptom that caused me to Epi.

I also get chest wall pains. It's a muscular thing. Also sharp. They are not reaction related.

Also, my lower right lobe is the one that always hurts when I am getting bronchitis. Occasionally it will just hurt when breathing when I am flirting with illness. I don't know why.

Since you were having other symptoms, I would suspect allergy.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

notashrimpwimp

Feeling much improved but still confused. I intend to call tomorrow to ascertain the ingredients of what I believe caused the reaction, and also renewed the conviction to head to the hospital when that happens.

Maybe this is just the evolution of reactions, and they will scale back after a while. Now I only have Auvi-Qs which seem easier to use properly.

rebekahc

You said it's been about a year since needing to epi?  I wonder if something environmental and seasonal is filling your allergy cup making you more susceptible to food reactions...
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

notashrimpwimp

To be honest, I had a few reactions where I should have Epi'd. Like the time I lay wheezing for an hour while my fiancé begged me to epi. Maybe this is a consequence of that inaction. Or a false sense of security. From apparently epi'ing too much, the pendulum swung to never (despite the cues of pending danger). I've also misattributed other health concerns that eventually revealed themselves to be allergic reactions. Last year was not my most responsible.

I've often wondered if hormones could exacerbate reactions. I also take an antihistamine daily so that usually curbs the small stuff.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Spell the answer to 6 + 7 =:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview