FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: 504 index - The Meeting(s)  (Read 3683 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

504 index - The Meeting(s)
« on: February 02, 2014, 09:41:30 AM »
Please don't post in this thread  :heart:

If you have suggestions for the index threads, please post them in this other thread:
504 index - Suggestions

Offline LinksEtc

Re: 504 index - The Meeting(s)
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:18 AM »
http://blog.onespotallergy.com/2012/08/filing-an-ocr-complaint-exercise-your-rights-or-lose-them/
Consider tape recording 504 meetings. It provides indisputable documentation of what transpired.

Is there any law that says parents must be allowed to tape record a 504 meeting?
If all else fails, bring a "recorder" who will take extensive notes-- and then pop those notes DIRECTLY into an attachment on an electronic LOU to everyone concerned.

We got a scribe for our meeting.  I let the school know ahead of time (when they'd told me I couldn't record until eligibility was established. 

504 accommodations: is unwritten okay?
Posted: 09.13.2011 at 11:14:40     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do 504 accommodations for life threatening food allergy need to be written? If not, how would you know what was agreed to?

Posted: 09.13.2011 at 11:24:07       

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The short answer is--

no. ANY accommodations for a qualifying disability are, by definition, a "504 plan." In theory, anyway.

On the other hand, you have already cleverly deduced why this is somewhat problematic in practice.

In other words, if the school decides that a particular accommodation is a pain... good luck proving that they ever agreed to it in the first place.

<sigh>

I'm assuming they are aware of the loophole and this is why they refuse to put it in writing. No accountability. 

School won't sign 504

They are telling me there is no signature line and requires no signature by anyone to be in effect.

TECHNICALLY, I think that this is probably true.

It's true, for example, in the same way that "a 504 plan need not be in writing"  and "a parent need not be included in an eligibility or 504 team" is technically true...

Ill-advised on many counts, of course.... but true.   ~)

I might sweetly respond that you'd feel BETTER if you knew that everyone who helped to write the document could sign off on all that hard work... and that you're sure that the district legal counsel would probably be happier if there were signatures involved.  You know, just to make sure that there aren't any misunderstandings later on.  How unfortunate THAT would be.  After all that work.  You know.

That's how I'd play this one, anyway.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:35:01 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:30 AM »
KFA 504 & IHCP Webinar 1/14/14
She said you have the legal right to stop the 504 meeting if you arrive at the meeting and the school system has brought an attorney without informing you.

------------------------------------------------

New here, but need help before meeting with principal
DO have a list of absolute REQUIREMENTS for him to: a) safely and b) inclusively, attend school.  Don't get into the list of specifics, though, until you have eligibility established, and DO NOT be side-tracked by "policy" covering those items, or by the notion that they could be included in a "health plan."  Practice saying (cheerfully/pleasantly/neutrally); "That's wonderful.  Since you're already doing that, let's include it in {child}'s 504 plan, too."  (As though it will be NO PROBLEM to do it-- after all, why WOULDN'T they want it in writing if they are promising it to you, hmmm?)

------------------------------------------------

The PRE-504-Evaluation Meeting BRAND NEW THREAD
For many of us in the USA, the "504 Process" has a PRE-504-Eval meeting.

This meeting is typically used by the school to make determination if the child meets their "tests" to even go forward to a full 504 Evaluation Meeting.

For some, this is a mere formality and many/all are simply referred on to the 504 Evaluation/Determination meeting.

For others, however (sadly) this may be a meeting where there is a gatekeeper bound and determined to NOT forward child on to the 504-Evaluation.

OF course, everybody's experience will be unique on this topic.

This thread may have parallel discussions -- whether this "gatekeeping" is even legal/allowed, AND, if you HAVE to go through one of these pre-504 meetings, exactly HOW to plan, prepare and the process.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:29:34 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
Need quick input re letter to principal
They acknowledged immediately that he qualifies and we moved onto accommodations.  Overall, I got the major things we wanted

Today's the day!
This may be a "dual purpose" meeting-- that is often how the process works in practice

That is, there will be a short (hopefully) review of data and your doctor's letter, etc, and then a form will be passed around which establishes eligibility (hopefully) or says why the team finds the child ineligible.

If it's the latter, then walk away from the meeting at that point.  DO NOT DISCUSS ACCOMMODATIONS, and make it clear that you'll appeal the decision.

Remember-- eligibility first, accommodations AFTER.

Accommodations can be anything that you-- and the team-- feel is necessary and workable.  This is going to vary tremendously, and it's the reason why this is an INDIVIDUAL plan.  "Policy" doesn't work for disabled individuals because their individual needs may differ substantially.  Some general tips:

a) if you have trust in another member of the team, listen to what s/he is telling you about daily workability within the school setting-- THEY have the expertise on that side.  That is their role here.  (Doesn't mean that you have to agree-- more like "I hear what you are saying, and I respect your opinion").

b) YOUR role is to be the expert on managing your child's disability in the real world.  NOBODY else on earth is better at that than you.  YOU ARE THAT EXPERT.  Period.  Own that.  If you know that something is inadequate or dangerous-- say so.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2014, 06:27:31 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:53 AM »
Lessons Learned 504: Avoiding pitfalls, setbacks, and failures

ajasfolks2   Sep 14th, 2011

When players at the 504 table change -- key/critical players -- it makes the 504 process even more challenging: Unless, of course, the 504 had EXTREME level of detail and had actually been read and disseminated to all staff concerned. Even still, some of the NEW players (school staff) may not agree to the accommodations and/or might have the mistaken belief that he/she cannot (officially) adhere to the accommodations as previously written and agreed to (signed on) by all previous parties.

So, am going to get this thread going and will include own situation details as I'm comfortable sharing . . . and will certainly entertain advice and/or commiseration as any other poster might feel appropriate.

Suffice to say, our recent 504 meeting did not go swimmingly.

Some of the players are less educated as to LTFA. Some of our players are less educated as to his/her role at the school so far as decision and rule making.

And some of our players may, in fact, be far more married to the use of food -- and conflate it with RIGHT . . .

Another uphill battle.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:21:13 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:04 AM »
"supposedly writing a 504 on wed...."
http://allergy.hyperboards.com/action/view_topic/topic_id/11905/start/1
Older Link

CMdeux   Aug 25th, 2009

SO, let me understand this....

the school is doing the following at this meeting:

1) eligibility determination,

2) if eligible, accommodation meeting.

Just in the same meeting, right?

That is how our original 504 plan was written, too. It isn't a bad sign that they plan to write one immediately after finding eligibility.

Things to be prepared for in this scenario:

keep the meeting focused on eligibility first, THEN accommodations. STRICTLY. ADAMANTLY. Cart after horse. KWIM?

have TWO folders-- one for each portion of the meeting...

have a plan... make yourself a flowchart if you need to. Option A is what to do next if they deem your child ELIGIBLE, and option B will be the series of actions for your personally if they find him INeligible. (Will you try to get accommodations written into at least an IHCP of some kind? Or will you stop the meeting at that point and tell them that you will need the decision in writing before you decide what your next steps should be? (Don't feel you must share that strategic plan here... it is the internet, after all... just have a plan.)

Bring a notebook or something to take notes with. I might even ask if there is an 'agenda' or anything that you might need from them prior to the meeting-- anything that can act as a framework for your notes will be helpful. Carefully record WHO is there, WHAT each person's title is, and a rough timeline. Anything particularly outrageous, RECORD WHO SAID IT and as much context as you can get down.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 10:31:37 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:17 AM »

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:43:31 AM »
Please don't post in this thread  :heart:

If you have suggestions for the index threads, please post them in this other thread:
504 index - Suggestions