FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Latex-Fruit Syndrome  (Read 5452 times)

Description: Newly diagnosed and looking for information

Offline RVALawGirl

Latex-Fruit Syndrome
« on: February 05, 2014, 02:47:18 PM »
I was just recently diagnosed with Latex-Fruit Syndrome. There is almost nothing out there about this and I'm struggling to find resources. Is there some hidden treasure trove of information I am missing somewhere? Anyone else dealing with this?
~ Crystal

Latex-Fruit Syndrome (Feb 2014)
Wheat (May 2010)
Dairy (lifelong)
Also allergic to: Prednisone/Cortisone, Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Naproxen

Offline rebekahc

Re: Latex-Fruit Syndrome
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2014, 04:17:30 PM »
I've never heard it called latex-fruit syndrome, so that may be why you're not finding much.  There are two types of latex allergy.  One a delayed reaction thought to be related to the chemicals used to process latex (Type IV) and the other is related to the actual latex protein and may involve cross-reactive foods (Type I) - what you and I have.  There is also a sensitivity to latex caused by exposure and generally results in contact dermatitis.  I react to latex, bananas and avocados.  I avoid kiwi just because I don't like it.  I don't avoid anything else that doesn't cause me problems.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2014, 04:38:51 PM »
 :yes:

I react also to latex-- initially this was thought to be the contact dermatitis variety through occupational exposure, but it's become clear over the past ten years that it's Type I.

I have never had a problem with avocado or kiwi either one, but have reacted to banana-- once-- when my "allergy cup" was very very full because of animal exposure + very high grass pollen + forgetting daily antihistamine.    I carry epineprhine anyway for a shellfish allergy, so I don't really avoid possible triggers like banana, kiwi, and avocado, but I'm aware of the possibility (particularly since I have asthma and have clear anaphylaxis potential via reactivity to other allergens).

Does that help?

I recommend wearing a MedicAlert bracelet and carrying epinephrine if you have a Type I latex allergy.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Crystal Bannon

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2014, 04:52:09 PM »
The food list does include bananas, avocados, and kiwi fruit on the "high reactive" level. From what I'm learning, this is something that is fairly common but because the individual foods do not produce a reactive result in allergy testing it isn't diagnosed. My doctor pointed me to this because of my known latex allergy (began as a mild skin reaction and has progress over the past 9 years to asthma attacks in addition to the skin rashes that have gotten much worse). Because my reaction was so specific - latex gloves and band-aids - I never worried about carrying an epi-pen, although I do ALWAYS have my inhaler. I am getting an epi-pen since we've come to the conclusion that this is a progressing problem. The more recent reactions with the foods are more gastro-intestinal reactions in nature although I do still get weird random rashes (I'm getting a cream for this). My doctor did say that this is a progressive type of problem, meaning that the longer I go being exposed to all of these things the more serious my reactions will become.

I've also learned that my issues with these foods can be indicative of something called markers for profilin hypersensitivity - which is another huge list of foods. I'm feeling overwhelmed by all of this but I'm trying to stay positive and read as much as I can. I'm going to attempt a complete elimination of all these foods and see what happens.

Offline RVALawGirl

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 04:53:36 PM »
That was me, somehow I got logged out.
~ Crystal

Latex-Fruit Syndrome (Feb 2014)
Wheat (May 2010)
Dairy (lifelong)
Also allergic to: Prednisone/Cortisone, Aspirin, Acetaminophen, Naproxen

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2014, 05:13:32 PM »
Yes, it's a progressive thing-- but it's also WAY individual in terms of whether or not you're one of the "lucky" individuals who is reactive to the possibly cross-reactive fruits.

Not everyone will eventually react to them, by any means.

It's a high percentage of latex allergic people (relatively speaking, that is-- for example, only a small percentage of people with peanut allergies react to other legumes via this kind of mistaken identity kind of thing-- about 5%, actually...  and with latex allergy, that percentage is higher-- more like 30-50%) who are reactive. 

It's not clear from looking at the literature in this area, though, whether ongoing exposure to things that you DO tolerate 'encourages' your immune system to begin thinking of those related things as threats eventually.

It seems (anecdotally) to be either you do or you don't, or maybe (like me) only when your allergy cup is otherwise REALLY full.  So I avoid bananas now if I know that I'm having other allergy stuff going on that would make it more likely-- but I don't actively avoid bananas otherwise.  Does that make sense?  It's more of an individual determination based on my quality of life, though-- my family already works around a LOT of other food allergies, and banana/kiwi are some of the things that don't cause other family members problems with oral-allergy-syndrome.  It is what it is, you know?

Has your allergist talked to you about using epinephrine?  Odds are good that if you're having asthma as a result of latex exposure-- s/he SHOULD.  That's probably not asthma-- and if it gets bad, it won't respond like it, either.  Please take a look at our main board and the discussions about when anaphylaxis LOOKS like asthma.  It's really a challenge to manage that.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »
when anaphylaxis LOOKS like asthma. 

Here is a great article about that topic:

http://www.aanma.org/pdf/AnaphylaxisGuide.pdf

pages 11-13:  "When Anaphylaxis Looks Like Asthma"

---------------------------------------------------------------

On FARE's ECP/FAAP

http://www.foodallergy.org/document.doc?id=234

Do not depend on antihistamines or inhalers (bronchodilators) to treat a severe reaction. use Epinephrine.

Here is another helpful (general tips) thread:

What would you tell someone new to LTFA?

Welcome!