FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Has anyone contacted Kraft USA recently?  (Read 2932 times)

Description:

Offline Jessica

Has anyone contacted Kraft USA recently?
« on: February 10, 2014, 01:28:34 PM »
I emailed and this is part of their reply:

We know that some people may be very sensitive to even minor traces of an allergen and understand concern about potential carryover between products that are manufactured on shared equipment. If the presence of one of these allergens, like peanuts, may be unavoidable despite all the precautions we take, we label the product as follows:

"ALLERGY INFORMATION: MANUFACTURED ON EQUIPMENT THAT PROCESSES PEANUTS."

Our labeling informs consumers clearly about the potential carryover and the exact allergen that may be present. However, we believe that this type of "may contain" labeling should be used judiciously -- only when an allergen could be present despite all precautions to prevent it. Also, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration advises that "may contain" labeling should not be used in place of good manufacturing practices that include cleaning of equipment.

I emailed back for clarification because many have called recently and been told they label for shared facilities. This has not been my experience. They called me last week and basically said the above, and that if they feel that there is cc or if an ingredient supplied by an outside company may have cc they will label for it. They also mentioned the falcpa several times.

Today I called again because someone said they called today and was told they label for shared facilities. They told me the same thing-that they will label for shared facilities. I asked about the person who called me last week and they pretty much said he must not have known what he was talking about. When I mentioned the falcpa the lady today had no idea what I was talking about. Then she went on to tell me that the email I got (the one shown above) says that they label for shared equipment,. When I read that it's not what I see. I see that if they think there's cc despite their best efforts to prevent it, then they will label. I came away from this phone call more confused than ever. The inconsistency is staggering.

I also thought about their pistachio pudding. Since no other products (that I know of anyway) are made with pistachio and none of the other puddings have pistachio warnings, then their claim to label for shared facilities means they have a dedicated facility just for the purpose of making pistachio pudding. Really?

Anyway just wondering what others may have been told recently.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Has anyone contacted Kraft USA recently?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2014, 01:42:12 PM »
The written response sounds like it was written by very knowledgeable people, possibly with lawyer help ... jmo .... but I would have more confidence in that.

------------------------

I see that if they think there's cc despite their best efforts to prevent it, then they will label

That would be my understanding also.

------------------------

They would probably not be too happy if their cs reps were telling people something different.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 01:52:46 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2014, 03:14:53 PM »
I came away from this phone call more confused than ever. The inconsistency is staggering.

I also thought about their pistachio pudding. Since no other products (that I know of anyway) are made with pistachio and none of the other puddings have pistachio warnings, then their claim to label for shared facilities means they have a dedicated facility just for the purpose of making pistachio pudding. Really?

Yup.

Sounds to me like that is time well-saved on my part over the past seven years, frankly.

We just avoid 'em.  I spent about five HOURS on the phone with them trying to get them to tell me whether or not Minute Tapioca was produced:  a) on shared lines, and if so-- shared with WHAT?  and/or b) in a shared facility-- and if so, shared with WHAT?

They wouldn't even tell me when I made it clear that this information was needed because a child had nearly DIED from anaphylaxis.  They were the most singularly unhelpful corporate entity that I've ever dealt with-- before or since.  And I seriously do not say that lightly.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2014, 03:17:01 PM by CMdeux »
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 05:10:07 PM »
From a peanut only perspective I find Kraft to be fine. I have found labeling for shared equipment in the last year.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline justme

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2014, 03:35:10 AM »
One of ds' worst reactions was to Jett Puff Mashmallows. They said there was NO WAY it contained peanuts. University Of Nebraska said differently. There was no recall, no anything. I will NEVER trust Kraft again even though this many years ago.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2014, 08:46:24 AM »
DD has reacted every time to Kraft Marshmallows, and to Kraft Jello.  They were actively obstructionist when I was trying to find out what had nearly KILLED my then 2yo daughter-- refused to tell me if Tapioca was on shared lines or in a shared facility.  (Totally true and unembellished-- I was CRYING by the end of that phone call, I was so frustrated and angry.)

I still see no warnings on either package, and until I do, like JustMe, we will never trust them.

Western U.S.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 01:43:38 PM »
Need to get links to OLD Kraft / Nabisco posts in here, as would be helpful to have the history easily visible, I believe.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2014, 02:34:25 PM »
We never have a problem with peanut, sesame or shellfish.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2014, 07:32:12 PM »
For our family, the thing about Kraft - Nabisco, et al is that they DO have shared lines for EVERYTHING and do not label for it.  If their cookie assembly line machinery is all available to run ANY food ANY time, albeit with an allergen wash, then it is ALL shared and I have the right to know it -- as labeled on the packaging in the store.

I believe their practice is deliberately evasive and that they do not wish us to have the complete truth.

When it comes to peanut and nut, I do not trust the "allergen wash" and then "call it good".

I want to know there are shared lines / machinery so we can continue to avoid.  Period.

<yes, Kraft / Nabisco torques me.>

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 02:31:04 PM »
Current info as to Kraft product, Whipped Philly Cream Cheese . . . and pecans:

http://allergicgirl.blogspot.com/2014/10/philly-cream-cheese-pecans-food.html

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2014, 03:57:23 PM »
Such a simple question-- and what a nightmare to actually get the information out of them.   :disappointed:

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2014, 11:18:32 PM »
That was arduous to get the Philly Cream Cheese info. Thankfully, we've used the whipped since DD was little, and I'm glad that none of the nut products are made on the same line.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber