login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Flour Tortillas  (Read 3560 times)

Description:

Offline SilverLining

Flour Tortillas
« on: December 02, 2013, 07:03:44 AM »
 Originally posted by nameless.

I just use my KitchenAid ---  it would take forever-and-a-strong-arm to make them in bowl with a wooden spoon!

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon baking powder
⅓ cup vegetable oil
1 cup warm water

Instructions:
1.Combine flour, salt and baking powder in the bowl of a stand mixer. With the dough hook attached mix dry ingredients until well combined. Add oil and water with mixer running at a medium speed. Mix for 1 minute, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl. After about 1 minute, or when mixture comes together and begins to form a ball, decrease mixing speed to low. Continue to mix for 1 minute or until dough is smooth.

2. Transfer from mixing bowl to a well-floured work surface. Divide dough in half, then in half again. Continue until you have 16 fairly equal portions. Form each piece into a ball and flatten with the palm of your hand as much as possible. If dough is sticky, use a bit more flour. Cover flattened balls of dough with a clean kitchen towel and allow to rest for 15 minutes before proceeding.

3. After rest period, heat a large pan over medium-high heat. Roll each dough piece into a rough circle, about 6-7 inches in diameter, keep work surface and rolling pin lightly floured.  Don't stack uncooked tortillas on top of each other or they will get soggy.

4.When pan is very hot, place one dough circle into pan and allow to cook about 1 minute or until bottom surface is lightly browned in places and starting to bubble a bit. If tortilla is browning too fast, reduced heat a bit. If it's taking longer than a minute to see golden brown spots on underside of tortillas, increase heat a bit. Flip to other side and cook for about 30 seconds. You want the tortilla to be soft but have small golden brown spots on surface. Remove from pan with tongs and stack on a plate till all tortillas are cooked. Allow to cool completely if not using right away, When cool, tortillas can be placed in a large zippered bag or plastic container. They will keep well at at room temperature for 24 hours or can be frozen indefinitely.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2013, 12:54:09 PM by SilverLining »

Offline SilverLining

Re: Flour Tortilla
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2013, 07:05:22 AM »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Flour Tortillas
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2013, 10:24:02 PM »
I heartily recommend a tortilla  press.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 10:49:34 AM »

I have checked as many stores as I could think of....nobody is selling these here.

I found a YouTube clip that I think will work.

Wax paper sprayed with Pam. 
Ball of dough.
Wax paper sprayed with Pam. (Sprayed side down)
Glass pie plate to press down.

You can see through the glass to keep it round.

I'm going to try this.

Offline nameless

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 04:33:04 PM »

I have checked as many stores as I could think of....nobody is selling these here.

I found a YouTube clip that I think will work.

Wax paper sprayed with Pam. 
Ball of dough.
Wax paper sprayed with Pam. (Sprayed side down)
Glass pie plate to press down.

You can see through the glass to keep it round.

I'm going to try this.

You're still going to need to roll it thinner if you want a good tortilla. :-/
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 06:15:41 PM »
If it doesn't look thin enough I'll use my rolling pin.

There used to be two brands I could buy.  One now has the taste and texture of old cardboard.  The other now carries a sesame warning.

Sometimes....my life sucks.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 07:48:03 PM »
Sometimes people can send you stuff.  :)

It is HEAVY though.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 07:48:14 PM »
Also, sometimes there is Amazon.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2014, 08:50:31 AM »
I don't know if I will ever be willing to order anything on line again.  I get burned.  And due to the weight, it would be expensive to ship.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2014, 09:45:10 AM »
Never order online again?  That seems extreme. There are aluminum ones, too. I don't think they'd be very heavy but would still enable you to press it flat.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2014, 10:51:56 AM »
It is way to frustrating.  Dealing with hidden charges, lost packages, companies that put through the charges, then are MIA when there is any problem.  And these are companies that have been around for a long time.  One was a mail order company long before computers were invented, but the issues I had with them my last two orders, I am now stuck only buying crafting materials in store....and nobody carries some of the stuff.  Companies that blame Canada Post, yet eventually it turns out THEY FORGOT TO MAIL IT or the SENDER ADDRESSED PACKAGE WRONG.  And after I spend three days on the phone and track down the package, the sender refuses to make one short call to correct it and get it delivered to me.

If I cannot order IN CANADA I'll have to do without, because American companies are making it quite clear they do not want my business.