FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Going away to college with LTFA  (Read 33025 times)

Description:

Offline PurpleCat

Re: Going away to college with LTFA
« Reply #60 on: September 22, 2014, 02:48:44 PM »
That is the one and it is huge!  (OK, the 75 quart is bigger but still)  Just warning.  If I fill it, which I do for softball tournament weekends, I can not lift it alone!  And it takes up lots of room in my van...but it is the size I need.

I bought it at Target and they had some smaller ones that were more square with wheels and some smaller ones that did not have wheels.  I have also seen these coolers at Walmart and Dicks Sporting Goods.

Here's the Walmart page:  http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/colman-xtreme

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #61 on: September 22, 2014, 05:18:58 PM »
I portioned out a veggie lasagna for DS; I cut it up, wrapped it in freezer paper, then placed in a freezer ziploc bag.  I traveled 6 1/2 hours with a full cooler and everything was still frozen solid.  Just make sure the cooler is packed to capacity and as CM said, that everything fits together tightly.

And - if something is just slightly defrosted, it is still safe to go back into the freezer.  It might alter the texture slightly, but it is still safe to cook and eat.

We'll be going up in a couple of weeks, and I'll be cooking up a storm in preparation.  Can't wait to see my boy.  ;D
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #62 on: October 08, 2014, 11:08:40 AM »
Five day cooler worked great!!  Had everything portioned and frozen in deep freeze.  Didn't take too much this time because I wanted to try it out first but everything was still frozen solid when we arrived!  Going to take much more next time.
Thanks everyone for all the advice and great ideas!!

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2016, 09:34:15 AM »
Bump
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2017, 08:18:41 AM »
I'm not sure if this is the best thread for this, but I wanted to share that Drake University has gone peanut and tree nut free in the cafeteria. They're going to start a top allergen free station this year.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #65 on: August 03, 2017, 12:54:28 PM »
That is awesome!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline my3guys

« Reply #66 on: January 20, 2019, 08:49:53 AM »
No words. But good reminders for all of us with teens, especially those going away to college.

https://www.today.com/parents/after-daughter-s-peanut-allergy-death-parents-teach-teens-t146930

This girl was a freshman. She died at school. Her parents now want to bring awareness to the importance of talking to rommates, friends, RAs about allergies and treatment of anaphylaxis.

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #67 on: January 20, 2019, 10:45:06 AM »
Benedryl.....again.....it does not save lives.  So sad.