FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Udi's Products  (Read 9328 times)

Description:

Offline RudderBird

Udi's Products
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:02:23 PM »
Hello. I have a question...has anyone on this forum tried Udi's products?

http://udisglutenfree.com/about-us/story/

I saw them in a case at the grocery store this past week and wondered if they were any good. If so, what products do you like best?

I was reevaluated for food allergies about a month and a half ago and was diagnosed with a wheat/oat/barley/buckwheat allergy. After having gotten rid of all of those offending products, I have no longer been experiencing hives and nasty eczema flare-ups. It's definitely trial and error trying to figure out what tastes good and is worth buying.

Thanks!

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Udi's Products
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 10:20:10 AM »
DS1 cannot eat Udis (egg allergy on top of wheat, rye and barley). 

However my MIL is gluten intolerant and was just talking about Udi's this morning.  She developed her intolerance in the last 3 years after 70+ years of eating gluten.  She thinks Udi's products are far superior to anything else on the market (she found their raisin bread at SuperTarget a few weeks ago and is in love).  She buys the Udi's multigrain bread weekly.

I always find her praise for various gluten free products more telling because she has had gluten (whereas DS1 couldn't tell you for squat one way or another because he has been GF since birth).
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 10:59:50 AM »
Udi's produces a lot of oat products. I have one child with IgE-mediated allergy to oats as well as wheat/barley/rye. For him it's probably cross-reactivity because his wheat and barley is so awful.

Buckwheat is not related. So I would really, really be exacting if buckwheat is something you *must* avoid. It is typically a good alternative because it is not related.

Offline krasota

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 09:55:44 AM »
Are you sure about buckwheat?  It's not related to the others.

I like Udi's.  No oats in the GF bread at all.  I'm avenin-sensitive and have been okay thus far, but YMMV.  They do contain eggs, do I have to be careful given DS' egg allergy.  I eat the multigrain.
--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 04:44:25 PM »
Glad to see people have had good experience with their products.

I don't find it too hard to avoid the buckwheat as well. Since I haven't experienced any episodes of hives or rashes in the last month and a half, I'm okay with the current plan of avoidance. I'm limited on what packaged goods I can buy because I am deathly allergic to sunflower. Simply touching product with sunflower [seeds] in it sends me into anaphylaxis. Unfortunately these days it seems sunflower oil is in EVERYTHING. The bulk of my diet is fruits and veggies (I'm a vegetarian), but I do eat a few packaged goods (rice and peanut butter bars, wheat-free animal crackers, yogurt, etc).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 04:59:11 PM by RudderBird »

twinturbo

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 05:30:12 PM »
Re-order the logic to see what we mean. Buckwheat is not related to wheat, it does not have the gluten proteins or anything structurally similar to gluten therefore it is typically used in gluten free products. As it is not a major allergen, it is not related to wheat despite its name, nor does it contain gluten it would not be required by law to be disclosed on a label, it would also be highly likely to be part of a gluten free product legitimately. Therefore if you have been and continue to use gluten free flours and 'grain' alternatives (another misnomer) there's a good chance you've been eating it the whole time.

As an aside I would sincerely hope a doctor did not diagnose you as allergic to buckwheat because of the name alone contains the word "wheat" in it. Oat is a grass and is botanically related to wheat. Buckwheat is not a grass nor is it related to wheat.

To eat strictly gluten free products and truly eliminate buckwheat would be an incredibly limiting and time consuming task. And when one invoked the term allergic here we take it seriously.

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 07:59:19 PM »
Ummm...Not sure what to say here. Simply wanted a review on Udi's products, not to be attacked that I somehow don't take things "seriously."

Twin turbo...the first night in my brand new house nearly ended in disaster after I accidently came into contact with sunflower seeds. I carry TWO epi pens on me at all times. My workplace has banned sunflower seeds after I became violently ill one night when someone accidently ate them in the office. You do not know me or my story personally. I don't appreciate such a response. I have had numerous close calls in my lifetime. To indicate I don't take the word allergy "seriously" is quite ridiculous.

Yes, I was evaluated by an allergist. I'm not making stuff up off the top of my head. Like I said, I wanted to hear others' experiences with a product.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:07:25 PM by RudderBird »

twinturbo

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:27:52 PM »
Putting aside the feelings, please. We're trying to answer based no more and no less than what you asked about.

You put buckwheat alongside wheat, barley and oats. Rye, for whatever reason, either you left out and/or your allergist left out. You said it's an allergy to gluten but you're describing more of an intolerance based on gluten. I have a child with a known history of anaphylaxis to barley. The related grains are rye, wheat and further out a little botanically is oat as it it a grass. Buckwheat is not related, yet rye is.

Spare yourself the indignation, it's pointless to be upset about this. If you've got an IgE-mediated allergy to wheat/barley it's serious business. Therefore you would most likely need to avoid rye but not buckwheat for a 'gluten allergy' if the point is avoiding what those with Celiac *must* and my understanding that many are in the same situation as krasota about avenin.

But if you feel the need to continue to reduce this to feelings, the impact is felt more keenly for a child like mine every time the misnomer 'gluten allergy' is bandied about and items like rye are left off for things like buckwheat despite the botanical facts.

You asked about Udi's and your allergens, I responded on topic with exacting detail. I think if your doctor doesn't know that buckwheat is not related that's a concern. YOUR concern for avoidance but for putting out the accurate info that would help you, others.

I know your sunflower is extremely dangerous, it only further makes it imperative that you would be able to prioritize avoidance. That's already one super item on your plate as an ubiquitous non-top 8. Adding avoiding gluten then buckwheat would not be a good direction to head in heedless.

Get pissed if you want but get pissed for reasons like I'm either wrong or don't have your best interest at the top of my list. Fighting with me isn't going to change your results or the botanical relationships.

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 09:59:06 PM »
No feelings here, but you really need to reread my original post. I nowhere said I had an allergy to "gluten." That's your assumption. Nor did I ask about Udi's and my "allergens." I wanted to know which products people on the forum liked best. I decided to add a personal experience to the end of the post regarding my improvement after eliminating certain products.

I don't need a lengthy analysis of how I may be wrong, my doctor is wrong, etc. This doctor is the THIRD allergist I have been to. It's been wonderful not being covered in disgusting rashes!

I just wanted to know if Udi's products are worth the money, because I have bought products in the past that have completely torn up the roof of my mouth and/or tasted like wallpaper paste.

I came to this forum to find other people like me that have to live with food allergies from day to day. I am new to this forum, but I don't think you give the impression of being a welcoming community towards new people by jumping out with radical assumptions towards someone elses' diagnoses. And of course I understand hives and rashes aren't as serious as anaphylaxis, because trust me, I know first hand what anaphylaxis is like.

« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:06:08 PM by RudderBird »

twinturbo

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:55 PM »
Then let's at least get the objective issue taken care of still lingering. Are you aware now that buckwheat is not relates to wheat, but rye is?

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 10:21:34 PM »
Yes. To satisfy your question, yes I am aware of that.

I don't eat rye.

And that has nothing to do with my question about the quality of Udi's products. (What products do you all like best...).
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:23:14 PM by RudderBird »

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
I think you are misunderstanding TT.  We often hear from people who are avoiding buckwheat because they under the assumption it is a wheat product when they are actually unrelated.

Okay wanted to come back and add while not on my cell phone (which tends to autocorrect the words I wrote correctly and not the words I misspelled).

What you might view as unwelcoming is the product of many folks coming here that have also been diagnosed by professionals who give a long list of allergens with no real reason to avoid.  My son is one of those people who is supposedly allergic to wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, eggs, milk, soy, peanuts and tree nuts (a few others that I no longer remember).  The reality being that he is allergic only to wheat, rye, barley and egg (yes, we avoid oats because they are often wheat contaminated). 

Keep in mind that she asked because we see many others here who have a laundry list of allergens they are avoiding for no known reason. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 02:02:33 PM by YouKnowWho »
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:11 PM »
^ Right.

They were questioning buckwheat because it is usually well-tolerated, and because of that, is often included in products which might otherwise be fine for you.

Which could improve your quality of life, yes?  Being wheat-free is pretty rough, realistically, and even moreso when you have a nut or seed allergy that is life-threatening.

So I guess the question was related to the original list that you posted, which seems to indicate that after reactions, you were (skin?) tested, a short list of things was positive, and you're now avoiding them all...

yes?

But that isn't considered best practices at this point in time, even for people (like many of us here) who have MFA-- avoid what DOES cause reactions, not what might have been responsible.  That's the goal, anyway.

Hope that clears things up.

Since we're egg-free here, no really conclusive verdict on Udi's, other than to note that I thought that the one or two times I've tried the whole grain rolls, they seemed far better than much of the gluten-free products on the market.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 03:59:50 PM »
Welcome here!

Does anyone know if Udis is safe for but allergies?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline RudderBird

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 06:14:45 PM »
Thank you for the replies. I am not avoiding buckwheat because of a self diagnosis or assumption. That was a result that came back as a positive from the allergist when tested. This is the third allergist I've been to over the years. I'm not just seeing witch doctors here. I just think it's a little out of line to jump on someone regarding their diagnosis. If you applied the same logic to my sunflower allergy, you could probably question why I can eat sesame and flax with no issue. Everyone is different. Every body is different. I just think it's bad practice to jump all over members in that way. But back to the original point. I am glad to hear Udi's are a good brand.