imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Food Allergy Awareness Week 2014  (Read 2941 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Food Allergy Awareness Week 2014
« on: April 05, 2014, 06:23:17 PM »
sesame seeds labeling: US specific (laws, loopholes)

Food Allergy Awareness Week

http://www.foodallergy.org/food-allergy-awareness-week#.U0CIZn-9KSM

May 11 - May 17

My wish for this week is that one of the major allergy organizations makes a commitment to try and get sesame added to the USA list of "major food allergens".

What's your wish?

Do you have any plans to raise awareness?

« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:53:28 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline spacecanada

Re: Food Allergy Awareness Week 2014
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2014, 02:47:01 PM »
I heard the world-wide focus for 2014 was to make sure more people have allergy emergency action plans in place.  That would be really, REALLY nice!  I have never had a kid with allergies hand one to me, ever, and after I ask for one I get a deer-in-the-headlights look from their parent, then they give me just one EpiPen and half the time it's expired (and I have to request a new one).  Sigh. 

Every little bit of educating we can do can make a difference, if only in a handful of individuals. 

Adding sesame to the US priority allergen list would be incredible too!
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

hk

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2014, 09:49:45 PM »
sesame seeds labeling: US specific (laws, loopholes)

Food Allergy Awareness Week

http://www.foodallergy.org/food-allergy-awareness-week#.U0CIZn-9KSM

May 11 - May 17

My wish for this week is that one of the major allergy organizations makes a commitment to try and get sesame added to the USA list of "major food allergens".[/

What's your wish?

Do you have any plans to raise awareness?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2014, 10:03:29 PM by hk »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2014, 08:40:58 AM »
Hmmm...

my wish... my wish...

well, my wish is for truly low-profile and rugged epinephrine-- and something that can manage wider temperature excursions and has a 3-5y shelf-life, and which has repeating doses (maybe 3 doses per device, but still in a single-use device, if that makes sense).  I keep thinking about it.

More realistically, anaphylaxis AWARENESS in the general public-- what I wish that most people understood:

1.  Knowing what we can eat is only the first STEP in being 'safe' because what YOU eat, where you eat, and what you do with yourself and your detritus after--  is a risk to some people with food allergies.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

twinturbo

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2014, 03:37:58 PM »
Basic goal? Food out of the curriculum. Full stop.

Reach goal? Replace energy, money and time spent on food in curriculum and birthday celebrations during class time with more science and art materials.