FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Reaction that's just a rash?  (Read 3103 times)

Description:

Offline allergyadventure

Reaction that's just a rash?
« on: April 16, 2014, 08:34:28 PM »
I eliminated wheat, milk, eggs, and peanuts a week and a half ago after seeing an allergist to try and figure out what is triggering eosinophilic esophagitis (which has not improved at all with the change ...). On Saturday night right after eating dinner I got a small rash on my face, but I didn't eat any new foods that day that I hadn't been eating all week.

The rash stayed the same until Monday when it exploded so it covers both cheeks. It's still there today. It's intermittently really itchy, but it's not hives. I tried Benadryl cream and moisturizer, both of which had no effect. I figured it was eczema, since I get that on my hands sometimes.

Since it's been there for five days with no signs of abating, and is on my face where it's visible to all, I went to a walk-in clinic today to see if I could get some cream or something. The clinic doctor said it doesn't look like eczema, he said it looks like an allergic reaction. He asked about new detergents or anything. The only thing I've changed is my diet. I'm thinking I'm allergic to one of the new foods I'm eating like sorghum flour that I've never had until now.

Do any of you know if it's possible for a food allergy to result in just a rash on the face that is not hives or eczema? He prescribed an eczema cream, but seemed to be guessing, which does not inspire confidence ... Can an allergist help with this? I go back to see the allergist in two weeks.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 08:36:26 PM by allergyadventure »
Allergic to potato, tomato, banana, black pepper (unconfirmed)
Eosinophilic esophagitis to dairy, wheat, eggs, soy
Environmental & seasonal & contact allergies
Atopic dermatitis, asthma, cold urticaria (outgrown)

twinturbo

Re: Reaction that's just a rash?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2014, 08:49:40 PM »
Atopy goes with allergy. It could be dermatitis. My youngest has a terrible time with mite sensitization and atopic dermatitis which early on looks like a typical reaction on him. My oldest has had viral hives. Sometimes you never find out what it really is until it repeats and you find the pattern when it's less than life threatening.

Offline allergyadventure

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2014, 09:10:31 PM »
Interesting, by  mites do you mean dust mites? I'm highly allergic to dust mites, and this rash is actually exactly on the area where my face rests against a pillow (on both sides). I've had the rash at times before, but never this extensive.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 09:41:22 PM »
Yes. I do quite a bit of mite control but not to the point of sterility or anything. Your pillow could be a build up of irritants especially if you shower in the morning and not at night before going to sleep. In Asia at least the more humid/tropical lattitude most people shower at night before heading to bed because you get kind of nasty running around the heat of day, the pollution if you're a city dweller and plain never dry out where and when it's super humid.

Try treating it like dermatitis, shower right before bed use a clean pillow case. I wouldn't go crazy on mite control but I change pillow cases for the kids very often and bathe them both right before bed. When I've been in Asia over summers I always wash off at night before bed.

I don't know if it will work but atopy is generally something you have to manage as something that happens with allergies not always as an allergic reaction. Allergic disease is frustrating that way. Hives can manifest from viruses as well. You just have to deal with the curve balls as they come.

You might want to think about adding a daily antihistamine if you're not already on one. It filters out the really low level irritants to your system. It's not going to block a true reaction just give you a little relief and comfort from environmentals. One kid who is dermatographic and gets small ideopathic hives, temperature change hives and dermatitis gets Zyrtec daily for the comfort. His emergency action plan remains the same for epinephrine and Benadryl.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2014, 09:50:44 PM by twinturbo »

Offline allergyadventure

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2014, 10:08:21 PM »
Thanks for the information. I already have dust mite covers on my pillows and mattresses and wash my bedding in hot water, but that's because before I took those measures I was literally waking up coughing and completely stuffed up every morning and with my eyes swollen and "glued" shut from watering all night. I still wake up with allergies, but not nearly as bad.

I was taking a daily antihistamine but stopped about a month ago for allergy testing, and never started back up again. I had been taking it basically year-round and didn't like the idea of taking a drug non-stop like that. But I do notice I definitely have more allergy symptoms without it, so I think I'll start it up again.

I've recently begun showering before bed because otherwise I have to get up at 5:00 AM (I have a long commute to work). So at least I have that one covered. I'll give your other suggestions a try.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2014, 09:29:01 AM »
I recently had periofacial dermatitis which doctors thought was an allergic reaction at first (twice, actually) before it was properly diagnosed.  From what the dermatologist told me, a compromised immune system (from something like allergic reactions and steroids) can sometimes bring this on, although it seems to come at random in many cases.  So there's another possibility for you if it isn't hives.  (And if it is perioral dermatitis, get treatment right away... we thought it was allergies for so long that it's now taking forever to get rid of this hive-looking rash on my face.)

As twinturbo said, atopy can sometimes walk hand-in-hand with allergies.  Hives can turn into eczema, long-standing hives can be dermatitis, etc.  It adds an extra inning to the ball game.   >:(
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2014, 09:49:31 AM »
The rash stayed the same until Monday when it exploded so it covers both cheeks. It's still there today. It's intermittently really itchy, but it's not hives. I tried Benadryl cream and moisturizer, both of which had no effect. I figured it was eczema, since I get that on my hands sometimes.

I'm just gonna throw this one out there-- is there ANY chance that this rash is bright red?

Possible that you had contact with little kids sometime in the last few weeks?

Could it be Fifth Disease?  It's generally not symptomatic in adults otherwise-- I'd think that a physician would have thought of that, but you never know.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline allergyadventure

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2014, 08:30:08 PM »
I haven't had any contact with kids, but I do work in the school system (in a more consultative role) so do have contact with teachers. The rash was red and really itchy when it first developed, now it's less itchy and red but still there.

The doctor did ask if I'd been sick recently, so maybe he was thinking of viral illnesses. I answered no, because I haven't been sick. I see the allergist in two weeks, so if it's still there at that point I can ask him about it.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 08:36:18 PM by allergyadventure »