FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: American Candy/Chocolate list!  (Read 5886 times)

Description:

Offline spacecanada

American Candy/Chocolate list!
« on: May 03, 2014, 10:09:48 PM »
Opposite to the Canadian candy/chocolate thread, we're visiting America and would like to try some of America's finest allergy-free offerings and bring our favourites back home with us.  Any and all recommendations are welcome!

We have the ability to order things to an address ahead of time.  I will be calling Divvies on Monday to place a very large order of sweet treats.

Allergen list: tree nuts, peanuts, sesame; dairy intolerance
No shared lines or facilities (except dairy - that one has a much higher threshold)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 01:15:02 PM by spacecanada »
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline bleh

Re: American Candy/Chocolate list!
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 07:50:33 AM »
Dove has a peanut / tree nut free plant. You just have to read the label.

http://www.dovechocolate.com/aboutDove/AllergenFreeFacilities
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 09:42:41 AM »
Do we have any candy here that you can't get there?  I could be wrong, but I think most of our PN/TN free stuff has a Canadian version already.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 11:40:08 AM »
Vermont nut free is more of a true chocalatier. The bars I used to be able to buy in store but DH ordered a box for me once before DS's milk allergy surfaced big 'n mean. The only other one I would recommend are the makers of Suncups last I checked they sold other chocolates.

Both should have products without direct milk ingredient you'd have to order carefully. American candy makers tend to use milk proteins in nearly all chocolate even in their version of dark. The Belgian style ones I find have at least darks usually without direct milk.

The other one would be Guittard's wide variety of premium dark bars. All are shared equipment for dairy. In one part of the plant they use almond but they will label for that. Otherwise you should be able to use dark bars, chips, tinned cocoa, melting chocolate.

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2014, 02:05:02 PM »
Is Sugar Daddy still safe?  I can only find it here at expensive import stores.

Offline nameless

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
Hmmmmm...the only think I can think of is ordering/delivering to the US address some Vermont Nut Free. Well I mean, not "some" but like one of everything :P

Seriously - their truffles are really really good and it's the only ones I have ever found safe!

I also like the crispy rice chocolate, b/c I've not found any of that safe either.

BTW - I'm not ashamed to admit I spent $100 in snack size Kit Kats, Coffee Crisp and Mars bars, then some chunky Kit Kats and Coffee Crisps and regular Kit Kats. This probably more than a year's worth for me...but soooooo worth it!
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

twinturbo

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2014, 07:23:56 PM »
nameless is going to sleep on the pile of choco like a dragon on its gold. perched on top with one eye open.

Offline Jessica

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2014, 09:46:06 PM »
check on dark suncups. not sure about the dairy on those.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

twinturbo

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2014, 09:48:48 PM »
Even the dark chocolate sun cups.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2014, 09:33:51 AM »
Sun Cups would be an excellent find!  As would individual serving containers of Sunbutter.  There's no Whole Foods where we're going (it's not due to open until later this year), but hopefully another speciality food store exists in the area. 

I also saw that Earth Balance makes crackers - may be worth trying as well, or no?  According to someone I trust, they called and found out they are made in a peanut and nut-free facility.

Any other snack foods, not necessarily candy or chocolate? 

Offline Jessica

« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2014, 12:10:58 PM »
I think sunflower shops carry suncups.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #11 on: May 06, 2014, 02:51:37 PM »
I think sunflower shops carry suncups.
Sunflower shops?  I've never heard of such a thing.  Is that a chain name or a store that specifically sells sunflowers?  Will a place like Target or Publix or regular grocery stores have these?

Offline Jessica

« Reply #12 on: May 06, 2014, 05:04:06 PM »
It's like a health food store. My sister has 2 in Vegas so she bought some suncups there for my daughter.

Some regular stores might have them. I've bought them at Meijer in the past but they don't have them anymore.

eta: i guess there are no sunflower shops anymore. There are places called Sprouts in Vegas that have sun cups so maybe they changed owners or name or something.

eta again: apparently Sprouts bought out Sunflower.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunflower_Farmers_Market
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 05:09:21 PM by Jessica »
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline maeve

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2014, 06:59:27 AM »
Enjoy Life also makes "chocolate" bars and chocolate chips.  They make a crisped rice bar that's like a Nestle Crunch. You can find them at Whole Foods. I haven't seen them in other stores (I'm on the East Coast).
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline candyguru

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2014, 06:21:30 PM »
Enjoy Life also makes "chocolate" bars and chocolate chips.  They make a crisped rice bar that's like a Nestle Crunch. You can find them at Whole Foods. I haven't seen them in other stores (I'm on the East Coast).

In Toronto, you can pick up Enjoy Life chocolate bars at Noah's ay Yonge & Bloor and Ambrosia at Yonge & Steeles (and possibly Whole Foods too, not sure)
-----------------------------------------------------------
CANADA, land of maple syrup and poutine
Me:  peanuts, ragweed
DD1:  PRACTICALLY EVERYTHING NOW! peanuts, tree nuts, sesame, eggs, wheat, lentils/peas/beans, leaf mould
DD2:  milk (and avoiding peanuts)