login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Well, these exist - nut-free waffles and something none of us ever, ever wanted.  (Read 2262 times)

Description: the high and low of groupon

Offline starlight

So, groupon had these waffle snacks for sale, they say they're nut free. Awesome, right? http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-belgian-boys-waffle-snacks?utm_medium=social&utm_source=TWITTER&utm_content=&utm_campaign=US_GOOD&utm_term=&linkId=8131960

But then, horror of horrors right above them. Powdered peanut butter. Just, omg. o.m.g. why?! http://www.groupon.com/deals/gg-pb2-powdered-peanut-butter-12-pack

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Because G is no good. I haven't followed the link. I don't want G to show up on my FB. I hate the company. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

I hate G too. Maybe not for the same reason but I still hate them. I hold a grudge-I just can't help myself.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline bleh

Why does everyone hate G and why are we calling it G?
DD: PA/TNA/EA (baked eggs are okay)

Offline maeve

G is Groupon and they did a very mean-spirited blog entry several years ago about food allergies. When approached about that blog, Groupon was unapologetic and did another blog entry mocking the response of the food allergy community.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline starlight

For those of you who don't want to click on groupon:

The waffle/pancake/crepe goodness is here: http://belgianboys.com/. I ordered way more than I should have, and not through groupon. :)

The powder form PB comes in what looks like a spice container/shaker. It's meant to be mixed with water to make PB. It's literally condensed peanut in dust form.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
I've seen the powdered pb on the shelf at my grocery store.  It's in the organic section right next to the Sunbutter.  ~)  Even if I could have PB, it just sounds disgusting  :tongue: - kind of like those PB slices (wrapped like American cheese) they came out with several years ago.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline hedgehog

Actually, it looks to me like something very similar to what DS had daily while he was being desensitized. 
USA

Offline SilverLining

Isn't it powdered pb used in the take-always in UK that have been causing fatal reactions lately?  Because it's cheaper they are substituting it for other nut powders.

Is it used just for cooking....or do people add water and eat it?  I can see it as a thickening agent.