FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Mystery reaction  (Read 8799 times)

Description:

Online YouKnowWho

Re: Mystery reaction
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2014, 12:36:11 PM »
No quoting please, I will remove.

Allergist said uticaria, not food.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2014, 01:08:17 PM »
Urticaria is just the medical term for hives.  I know idiopathic urticaria exists, but for your DS it really seems to be tied to either heat or food (or a combination of both).  There is a wheat/exercise combo allergic reaction, I wonder if your DS has something with heat and a specific food/spice/seed? Has he shown any other signs of heat urticaria (other than hot foods)?  Low 80's isn't really all that hot except that he's not used to higher temps yet since it's just starting to really warm up.  Was he outside after eating lunch on both Sat and Sun?  Did he eat before the trip to the bird center?

Or maybe... Birding class = lots of bird seed/nut contamination of the area?  Mustard's a seed - what about the bread, was it seeded rye?  Even if it wasn't, the bread was most likely seed contaminated.  Full allergy cup and a high threshold seed allergy?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:57 PM »
It seems to be heat related - he does not tolerate changes in temps at all.  He is the kid that is bright red when most people find it comfortable outside.  He was outside both days, prior to coming in to eat (about 1-2pm).  We have had the a/c on for a few weeks now.

Our pollen counts are dropping to almost nothing after cresting into the thousands, but it's been down for almost a week.

We went through this two years ago with him constantly hiving up after having been in the pool and coming in.  After a few trips to the ER because it scared the you know what out of me and consulting with allergist - it was blamed on temp related urticaria.  Then we dealt with lip swelling that I thought might be allergy related but again, temp related urticaria.

The bird class today was canceled - taught by Audobon, no bird food or peanuts allowed because we are dealing with multiple food allergies within the group.

He was the one that consumed most of the bread loaf prior to Saturday (seedless rye).  He has never had issues with wheat, rye, barley.  I do note behavioural issues with dyes and sugar.  Both DH and I test negative on Celiac bloodwork (we were concerned that my other son might have Celiac on top of the ltfa). 

Allergist is closed - will call again tomorrow because wild speculating sucks.

DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2014, 01:44:11 PM »
Has he ever played in the snow? DS2 does have temp change that has resulted in two ER runs before we found out it was not food. He hived magnificently from the ocean (temp) and from snow exposure on skin. For this reason he can't have cold drinks or food. Which ironically goes along nicely with the thought in Chinese medicine (cold food or water is bad for health).

But it's predictable. Cold wind on exposed body parts, snow/ice on exposed parts, cold water, cold lotion after a hot bath. The most he can tolerate is maybe a slightly cool watered down juice.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2014, 01:50:10 PM »
 :grouphug:  Yes, wild speculation definitely sucks.  Hopefully your allergist will have a quick answer for you.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2014, 02:04:15 PM »
TT - he gets slapped cheek syndrome in extremely cold weather.  Even if we are just venturing from the car to inside a store.  At best, he tolerates about a half hour in the snow. 
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA

twinturbo

« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2014, 02:16:09 PM »
That I don't know but DS2 does not get red in the face due to exposure. The cold reactions present just like food reactions. They are no different but for the trigger and maybe severity limited to area of exposure. It's why he can't do sorbet or other items safe but frozen. The risk of anaphylaxis from cold ingestion is there. Contact from cold will produce hives with some flare around wheal but not red patches of skin without hives. It's a leading reason we relocated to DH's hometown the weather is relatively mild year round.

Given that peanut is the only known allergen the statistical likelihood is higher there, it would have to be ruled out. There are cold urticaria tests it's just applying ice to forearm for 5 min.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2014, 06:11:40 PM »
Those eyelashes and eyes. He is gorgeous.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2014, 06:12:34 PM »
I know there is idiopathic anaphylaxis, but would idiopathic urticaria create that throat lump?
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2014, 08:55:38 PM »
Those eyelashes and eyes. He is gorgeous.

I love everything about his eyes, the lashes, the twinkle and the little laugh he can let out with him without uttering a sound.  And in so many ways, truly the window to what is on his mind.
DS2 - peanuts
Southeast USA