login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Happy Birthday, FAS!  (Read 10228 times)

Description:

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
Happy Birthday, FAS!
« on: September 19, 2011, 12:27:06 PM »
Wow-- some birthday present, huh?

The new forum should hopefully feel like home, only maybe a bit better in the same way that a really nice hotel suite is "better" than home.

It will be a little rough going over this first week, we know.  :grouphug:   Sorry about that, but there's only so much that a handful of people can do in 16 hours, you know?

There should be thread TITLES and STARTERS for anything that was "live" on the old forum, though for the time being, those thread titles may have little IN them but a link back to hyperboards.  The search feature here is also MUCH nicer than at hyperboards, though, so finding things should (over time) get easier and easier.  Moderators, Committee Members and Administrators are still moving contentRepeat:  all those links back to hyperboards ARE expected to be mostly temporary.  If there is older content there that you NEED to have, please add a thread starter and a link in the first post, so that you can continue the conversation in the thread.  We can merge threads here, so it should be possible to make most things very smoothly continuous.   :coolbeans:

We've tried to preserve the "feel" of the forum the way we're all used to, but there are things which are different.  Most of that is in a good way, we hope!

Aloha, everyone! 

Offline tigerlily

Re: Happy Birthday, FAS!
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2011, 03:32:10 PM »
 :thumbsup:
DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 05:35:25 PM »
So what are my favorite things about here??

Same:

emoticons!  I just love this one:  :hiding:   and our oar, of course.  Not really FAS without an oar.   :thumbsup:

Same great community!

same INFORMATION

New and oh-so-much-more-awesome:

sockpuppets (that is, accounts used for anonymity where needed) can be "linked" invisibly to your main account in your preferences.  No more sign-out, sign-in, post, sign-out...just use the jump box on the header.  For Committee and Administrators, you have no idea how wonderful that is.  :heart:

spam controls SO much better.  SO much.   :coolbeans:

we. can. MERGE. threads. here.  <swoon>  this is going to make things SO much easier to search for in the long run!!!  Seriously in love with this feature.

Better splits, polling, moving, etc.  MUCH more finesse. 

Nifty new SLEEK look to things, but with our same lovely blue color scheme

NO ADS-- it's our site.

Now, I hate change.  I'm still getting used to the PM system here, which feels quite peculiar to me.

Offline admin rebekahc

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 07:44:15 PM »
And don't forget no one can take any of our buttons or tools away!
TX USA

nonuts4me cant log on

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 08:26:34 PM »
Hi all, I can't get logged on. It says that my username is in use.

Also...what happened with the old board?

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 08:28:51 PM »
 Wow!  Thank you to the admins/committee/mods for all of your hard work ... it could not have been an easy decision to pack up and move.  I hope that we will be happy at our new home  :heart:.

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 08:36:02 PM »
ANYONE who is having trouble logging on here should double check to make certain that they are using the information given in the PM's sent to their accounts at the old site.

Barring that, go ahead and register your username (or a close approximation) here and we'll help you figure it out from there.

Thanks, Links!

There were a lot of reasons for the move, but mostly they can be summed up into "increasingly obvious professional differences" with hyperboards management.

As long ago as two years back, the site Administration and Committee Members had discussed the wisdom of banking on hyperboards for the long haul, and the decision, even then, was "we'll see." 

This move has been planned since mid-May. 

I think that most of the changes here are positive ones, and I do think that this will be an excellent home for FAS!  :heart:

nonuts4me cant log on

« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 08:46:30 PM »
Yes!!! Thank you for all your hard work and continuing this wonderful place!!!

Sorry, I didn't realize I was/could login at the old site. Got my password.

:grouphug: Again, much thanks.  :heart:

Offline Mezzo

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2011, 08:51:23 PM »

NO ADS-- it's our site.

How are we paying for it?  Do we need some funds?

Offline AdminCM

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2011, 08:59:01 PM »
Eventually, yes-- but as always, this is never going to be a fee-for-user service.  Donations and goodwill ONLY.

But this is the same problem that we have always had; our redirects aren't free and never have been.  They've just been covered behind the scenes by a handful of people all along.

It certainly isn't an amount sufficient to warrant charging people what Adam wanted just to make a few ads disappear.  ~)  Or whatever someone else wanted, once upon a time, for an edit button.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2011, 09:01:06 PM by AdminCM »