login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Swelling in mouth - what's it feel like?  (Read 2528 times)

Description:

Offline allergyadventure

Swelling in mouth - what's it feel like?
« on: June 14, 2014, 08:10:53 PM »
At lunch today I had the weirdest reaction. I ate out and had chicken and rice with mixed veggies. Told the server I was allergic to potatoes and milk (figured there wasn't a high chance it would have banana). As I was eating my lips and mouth (but not throat) got itchy, then the roof of my mouth got all textured and had little bumps and felt super weird, my tongue felt sore, and my chin and cheeks got itchy and felt flushed. It went away after maybe half an hour.

Has anyone else had a similar reaction? I've had lip and throat swelling before and have had my mouth get itchy or burn, but I've never any kind of internal mouth swelling, so I wonder if this is what it could have been. This is the third time in the past few months that I've had a random mild reaction - all to completely different foods. I am not liking this trend. :\
Allergic to potato, tomato, banana, black pepper (unconfirmed)
Eosinophilic esophagitis to dairy, wheat, eggs, soy
Environmental & seasonal & contact allergies
Atopic dermatitis, asthma, cold urticaria (outgrown)

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Swelling in mouth - what's it feel like?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2014, 08:13:36 AM »
DD has had an itchy mouth, but I don't think that swelling was involved.

Have you discussed with your doc?  Mouth/tongue/throat swelling can be life-threatening.  I'd verify with your doc exactly when he/she wants you to give epi.

:grouphug:

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2014, 10:16:47 AM »
Yes, I agree, swelling in the mouth is usually considered life-threatening because it could so easily move to swelling in the throat.

What you describe sounds like what I have always considered to be hives in my mouth.

I wonder if the chicken and rice had chicken broth in it.  I'd bet chicken broth might have potato in it (and doesn't have to be labeled - could be listed as starch or vegetables).  Butter on the veggies?
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2014, 01:42:08 PM »
Doesn't some chicken broth have milk in it, too?

My tongue has swelled up after a contact reaction (lotion on my hands). It's been a while, so I don't remember a lot about anything else going on.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline allergyadventure

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2014, 09:14:17 AM »
Hives in my mouth, that's exactly what it felt like. Would that still be considered a serious reaction? I've never had it happen before now. I'm seeing my allergist in about a month so will definitely run it by him then.

I don't think anything I ate had potato in it - I've always had way more severe reactions from potato, although it could have been cross contact. But it's true potato doesn't have to be labelled so they could have made a mistake, I just think I'd have had a reaction beyond my mouth and face if that happened. But butter is a possibility. The dairy allergy is still fairly new so I'm still learning how to explain it so servers understand that dairy is more than just milk, although this time I told the server "milk" which was probably a mistake.

It's so confusing for me right now because I feel like I'm allergic to something unknown at the moment, something else to ask about.
Allergic to potato, tomato, banana, black pepper (unconfirmed)
Eosinophilic esophagitis to dairy, wheat, eggs, soy
Environmental & seasonal & contact allergies
Atopic dermatitis, asthma, cold urticaria (outgrown)