FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Allergy Eats - Son had rxn  (Read 3352 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Allergy Eats - Son had rxn
« on: July 03, 2014, 06:03:37 PM »
I think I'm allowed to post this ... if it's a problem, mods can delete.

I'm glad that his son is ok.

---------------------------------------------------

"Our First Experience With the Epi – All the Details and 16 Lessons to Take Away"
http://www.allergyeats.com/blog/index.php/our-first-experience-with-the-epi-all-the-details-and-16-lessons-to-take-away/

I took the injector, held it against his thigh, and pressed (this is how the Auvi-Q works, a little different from the Epi-Pen).  It was just like the trainer.  It counted down from 5 (with Epi, you count to 10) and said “injection complete.”  My son IMMEDIATELY said “It feels better now.” 

---------------------------------------------------

"After the Epi – Our Real Nightmare Begins!"
http://www.allergyeats.com/blog/index.php/after-the-epi-our-real-nightmare-begins/

I now realize that I never learned what happened AFTER the ER.  I always assumed that once the observation period is over, the patient goes home and resumes normal life.  Nothing else.  It’s done.  Nightmare over.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Allergy Eats - Son had rxn
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2014, 07:23:31 AM »
Yep. Pred can have awful results.

Fortunately, most folks who stay around this wonderful community  for a while learn that and have some basic awareness of it. And many here would know to question the 80mg script. I'm wondering why the pharmacist didn't wave that red flag more strenuously. Yikes what a high dose.

I'm glad his son is okay and safe. It sounds like a very scary few days for him. :grouphug:
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2014, 08:18:10 AM »
I always thought when released the prescription was for a lessening amount each day. Not always?

Also, am I missing it or does he not mention biphasic reactions at all?  I am very glad his son did not suffer one because often they are worse than the original reaction.  But he has a lot of followers....it's info he should share.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2014, 12:09:41 PM »
The reality, though-- is that ANY dose of steroids can lead to psychological effects which are quite frightening.  It's also not terribly predictable either from course to course or individual to individual--

yes, 80 is pretty high.

On the other hand, a severe reaction that is refractory to treatment can call for that.

Yes-- any dose of steroids other than VERY low level calls for tapered dosing.  BUT, what that means is a huge initial bolus to elevate blood levels, and successively decreasing the dose.  Adrenal insufficiency is just as ugly as the steroid side effects, and actively dangerous as well.

http://www.med.ucla.edu/modules/wfsection/article.php?articleid=154
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2014, 06:17:08 PM »
Also, am I missing it or does he not mention biphasic reactions at all?  I am very glad his son did not suffer one because often they are worse than the original reaction.  But he has a lot of followers....it's info he should share.

Yes, his son actually had a biphasic rxn.  I feel when people share their experiences, it helps others learn and prepare, especially newbies.  Anyway, I'm glad he & his wife were prepared to handle that rxn.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 06:23:44 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 09:18:15 AM »
Thanks Links.  I must have just missed it then.

It one thing so many are not aware of, and ER's don't always warn people.  I was not warned after my anaphylactic reaction (major city). But when my son a reaction that was NOT life threatening, the ER doctor was very clear about that risk. (Smaller town).  He suggested we not go back to our cottage until the next day, so we would be close to a hospital if he suffered a second reaction.