FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Seattle  (Read 6535 times)

Description: walking distance, northwest end of UW camp...

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
Seattle
« on: July 04, 2014, 06:03:50 PM »
...or on-campus dining possibilities?

I'm VERY allergic to peanuts/cashews-- anything Asian/Thai in particular is going to be off limits completely.  Contact and X-contamination sensitive to most treenuts, it seems.  I'm going to be close to the university market, so that's good.  Any recommendations?...
Nie mój cyrk, nie moje małpy.

Der Regenbogenfisch kannst dir jetzt nicht hilfst!

Peanut, treenut (except hazelnuts), egg.

Western US

Offline Stinky10

Re: Seattle
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2014, 09:48:17 PM »
HI Sky - I'll post this in the Wafeast closed facebook group.  I don't know that area really well.  I would suggest Chipotle and Molly Moon....but more ideas will come from the fb group.   Let me know if you want an invite to join that group if you are on fb.  If not, I'll just crosspost their answers here.    You could always come to my house - just about 10 miles east of you
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2014, 10:00:16 PM »
Thank you so much!! May I get your phone number? (in PM)

Western US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2014, 12:39:19 AM »
:)
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Stinky10

« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:40 PM »
Well the only suggestions that I'm getting are Mod Pizza and Red Robin.  I know that there have to be more - guessing many people are away this weekend.  We'll keep checking.

Sending you my #  :)
Spanking cats for 40 years!

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2014, 02:52:08 PM »
FYI, Sky, Red Robin serves a burger with a fried egg on it, so you'll need to carefully vet your safety there.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline maeve

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:47:08 AM »
I don't trust Red Robin for being allergy aware. We had a not so good experience (the staff were clueless) at our local Red Robin. Perhaps, they're better on the West Coast. But they did not give me the warm and fuzzies.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 10:12:51 AM »
They haven't me, either-- with my SFA, I mean.   

It sounds like she's dealing well with the local food options-- the group is avoiding Thai/Chinese, so that she can accompany them to meals out as a group, and she's got a couple of bento boxes and a thermoelectric cooler to act as a mini-fridge. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline SkyScorcher

• let them eat pi
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 11:37:29 PM »
Both labs-- whole project, basically-- went for dinner at an Indian place tonight.  Vetted it before by scanning the avenue of restaurants.  Menu had NOTHING peanut or tree nut on it and I was careful to keep my bento to myself.  Advisor is remarkably good about not bumping anything against me/my stuff.  Worked well. 

Western US

Offline maeve

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 10:50:56 AM »
Sky,
I'm glad the outing went well.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:19:12 AM »
 :thumbsup:  Well-managed, Sky.   :heart:

Western U.S.

mmgshih

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2014, 03:53:09 AM »
Not sure if you are still in Seattle but I eat out here all the time.  I have multiple food allergies.  A few places I have recently eaten at as a vegetarian with allergies, to tree nuts, peanuts, shellfish, and eggs include-

Din Tai Fung
Red Robin
Staple and Fancy
Cuoco
Cactus
Tutta Bella
Mamma Melina
Mandarin Chef
Shanik
Ivar's Salmon House
Chipotle

Also, would love to know the name of the Indian place you ate at successfully.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2014, 12:47:43 PM »
Whoops!  Just now seeing this-- I'm VERY confident that she did not eat anything at the Indian restaurant.

Then again, her sensitivity level is way higher than most people with even pn/tn allergies, so individual mileage may vary there.  (We're not comfortable with Red Robin, for example, because there are several peanut-containing items on the menu-- though clearly others find that it is a great option for themselves or others with nut allergies). 

Western U.S.

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2016, 11:33:28 AM »
We are planning a weekend or possibly day trip to Seattle this spring.  Are the above recommendations still valid?  I probably won't eat anywhere except Chipotle the whole time anyway... But it is good to know what options exist.

Also, what activities would you recommend? It will be our first time visiting there, though we may go back several times due to our new close proximity.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

name

« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2016, 12:55:53 PM »
space:

Look up Din Tai Fung and Little Rae's Bakery.  DTF's menu really seems to really get allergies, at least in the Seattle area.  The kitchen is open (you can see the dumplings being made) but the wait gets insane especially because they don't accept reservations.  DTF, being rather authenticity Taiwanese despite how chainlike expansion has brought, has take-away down to a science.  You go to the take-away window halfway through to fill out your slip.  It will not be cheap.

DTF is not nut/peanut free.  They serve a spicy sauce that has peanuts.  I don't know the name in English, and it's not one of those items most people would know just eating there.

Last time I ate there was early this year.  I don't know what might have changed since then.

mmgshih:

Sky didn't actually eat the food at the Indian place mentioned.  She ate her own food at the restaurant if I'm reading that post correctly.