FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Fast Food chains...which ones safe/not?  (Read 3243 times)

Description:

Offline brownie

Fast Food chains...which ones safe/not?
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:49 PM »
DS is traveling 9hrs away for scout camp on Saturday into the Adirondacks. Yes, I am already having a heart attack, but dh is going along and ds is bringing about 10,000 calories worth of food along, and he will be given about 400 cal worth of milk a day, plus any safe(r) foods the boys prepare. 

The leader said they stopped at Hardees last year on the way home.  It looks pretty safe from the menu?  We already do McD, Wendy's and BK.  DS is supposedly "just" PA, but we avoid all treenuts bc little bro is allergic.

The other issue is that dh looked up Hardees locations...there does not seem to be a single one in NY state...so I am thinking the leader mis-remembered.  Any other fast food places you recommend besides the 3 main aforementioned chains, or that you recommend we avoid completely?  Especially those found in this part of the country?

Thanks!  Brownie
2 ds's with PA, TNA and avoiding all seafood

Offline GoingNuts

Re: Fast Food chains...which ones safe/not?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 05:04:52 PM »
I don't have much to add Brownie.  DS eats at McD's and Wendy's when he's on the road.  Not BK, but not specifically because of allergens, just because he doesn't like it.

I don't know where they will be the 'Dack's, but Chipotle should be OK too.    DS is a frequent flyer there.  ;D

I hope they have a wonderful time.  The Adirondack's are spectacular.  :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline brownie

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 07:24:22 AM »
Oh yes - forgot about Chipotle.  We've never been because my younger ds is allergic to beans but I've been wanting to take older ds.  Does anyone know if any of the similar chains are similarly safe? There's another one my dh mentioned...can't recall the name...that he was wondering if is also safe.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 08:00:55 AM »
Qdoba?  It's not in our area, so  I'm not sure.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline brownie

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 10:14:33 AM »
yup probably Qdoba because I've heard of it - I don't know if it's safe. DH in typical fashion, said if Chipotle is safe, it should be safe because they serve the same stuff!? Brownie

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2014, 03:49:16 AM »
We trust Hardee's. It's called Carl's Jr in some states so maybe that's what it was in NY? We also trust (for pa and tna) Wendy's, BK, Jack in the Box, Chipotle and Taco Bell.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 07:18:03 AM »
We eat at Qdoba and Moe's in addition to Chipotle.   DS is vegetarian so doesn't eat the meat.

Also Taco Bell.   
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 07:19:40 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2014, 06:32:27 PM »
We tried Chipotle tonight.  It was fantastic.  The staff was so nice and very allergy aware!
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 07:59:40 PM by MaryM »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 04:09:30 PM »
Email today from FARE:  Ingredient Notice: Wendy's Introduces New Sandwich Containing Egg and Milk
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 04:16:18 PM »
http://www.foodallergy.org/alerts/ingredient-notices-feed?&storyid4417=262&ncs4417=3

August 2014: Wendy's Introduces New Sandwich Containing Egg and Milk    

Thursday, August 21, 2014 1:59:00 PM

Wendy’s recently introduced a new limited time offer sandwich, the Smoked Gouda Chicken on Brioche. This product is served on a brioche bun that contains egg and milk and should be avoided by egg and milk allergic consumers. The bun is also topped with an egg glaze and is placed in the same toaster as our premium sandwich buns, which are used for our larger sandwiches. The brioche bun may be used for future products as well. Each of our sandwiches are made to order, so please request your premium hamburger, chicken, or pretzel sandwich buns WITHOUT TOASTING if you have concerns about eggs and milk. Contact Wendy’s Customer Service at (800)-443-7266 or consumer.relations@wendys.com with any additional questions.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline tigerlily

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2014, 08:20:12 PM »
Brownie--I hope your DS has a wonderful time! Typically one of us go to BSA camp with DS too. We deal with PN/TN/Fish.

I can't add anything about Hardee's. We use Chipotle, McDonalds, Taco Bell, Sbarro for fast food. and just started with Wendy's. I was really impressed with their online info and the staff/manager's knowledge. Dedicated fryers--fish is kept away from fries and chicken. Moe's dropped off our list when they reintroduced fish. Cross contaminated surfaces and tools. Wendy's does have fish during Lent--I had thought it was year round. At least for our area.

Hardees does have a bit online--call up your local manager and ask during a non-peak time about allergen precautions.
http://www.hardees.com/system/pdf_menus/10/original/H_RB_Ingredients_Allergens_2013.pdf?1384481568

Our worst instances was the traditional stop where the loaves of bread came out and PB&J sandwiches were made for the whole Troop. Most trips weren't long enough for two meals on the road--with lunch being PB&J. The one time we did join on the trip --they switched out to Sunbutter. Most of the boys didn't even notice. I thought that was rather great of the meal planner. I didn't even ask.

DS1-PA, TNA, SFA
DS2-NKA