FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Looking for a thesis statement/topic  (Read 9083 times)

Description: Responsibility of teacher re: allergies

Karen

Looking for a thesis statement/topic
« on: July 18, 2014, 01:43:57 PM »
Hello!
I am currently in school to become a certified teacher! Just a few more semesters!  :happydance: Yeah me! For my current class I have to give a persuasive presentation that is relevant to my chosen career i.e. teacher. Since my daughter was just recently diagnosed (13yrs old) with a peanut allergy, I would like to use peanut allergy as the topic. (Kill two birds with one stone, get more information about peanut allergy and get my presentation done!) However, since I'm so new to this I just can't seem to formulate a thesis statement/question in my mind! If anyone can think of anything, even if you think it's not a great thesis post anyway, maybe I can make something of it or someone else can!

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Looking for a thesis statement/topic
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2014, 01:52:25 PM »
Oh, have you EVER come to the right place, K!! 

I'm sure that others can come up with some other ideas, but--

Epi for every school-- just like AED!

Inclusion-- what is really means for teens

Prevention > treatment-- why being prepared for emergencies is necessary, but insufficient

Can you tell the difference?  Anaphylaxis?  Or Asthma?

Just off of the top of my head, those are things that I would think are VERY powerful topics for a persuasive presentation for educators.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2014, 01:53:50 PM »
Here are some thoughts for you to explore...

Does managing a life threatening food allergy affect the student (or conversely, teacher) in the classroom?
When are foods used in the classroom and how does that affect the learning environment for the student with life threatening food allergies?
What are some alternatives to using food in the classroom that are inclusive of all students?

By thinking through those questions, I'm sure you can come up with an idea for a persuasive essay.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline fuji

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2014, 10:31:32 AM »
Thank you for your replies! I came up with a thesis with your help!
I wrote the following to the Course Mentor for approval of my thesis statement:
For my informational presentation topic I have chosen “Life threatening food allergies in the classroom, alternatives to using food in the classroom that are inclusive of all students.” The purpose would be to get teachers to think about what else they can use besides food. For instance; instead of gluing macaroni which can be allergenic to some students, using sequins or beads. Also, just to get teachers to think about the students in their classrooms that may have a life threatening allergy and how to keep all children in the classroom safe. The appropriate audience for my presentation would be teachers and or school staff.  My 13 year old daughter was just recently diagnosed with a peanut allergy and it’s got me thinking about children in the classroom that may have a life threatening allergy and all the things all three of my kids came home with, such as glued macaroni, peanut butter on toilet paper tubes for bird feeders, little gingerbread houses, peanut butter on pretzel sticks, etc. and how kids may be allergic to them and what are some alternatives if you have a child in your classroom with these kinds of allergies.

This is the Course Mentor's reply:
This is a really interesting and timely topic! ... make the connection to teachers and why this topic is relevant to them and important for them to learn more about.

Thank you so much! I am on my way!!!
If you can think of any relevant resources please let me know! I've got a couple but I'm sure you all know the most informative/relevant places!
Now I have to write out my rationale for the presentation and then an outline and actually videotape myself giving the presentation! I'm pretty excited to get this done, not only that but to learn more about this food allergies in the classroom and at home!
Thanks again!
Karen
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2014, 11:28:12 AM »
Fuji-- definitely take a look at our Schools section-- I posted a VERY timely article this morning-- a Yale research study that strongly implies that food rewards may impair learning in some individuals.    That would definitely be one thought-provoking addition, because I think that most teacher training programs have taught that learning-- like operant conditioning-- works BEST with food as a primary motivator.  This study really calls that into question in a pretty serious way.

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2014, 03:13:57 PM »
We have a thread on the use of food in the classroom. That may help to point out just how prevalent it is (and those of us who have had kids with FAs throughout elementary, middle school and now high school know how ubiquitous it is). 

It also might give an idea of the scope for change of inclusiveness is to happen.

I'm sorry you now have to deal with a food allergy with your child, but I'm thrilled you're considering that in your education. How cool is that!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline fuji

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2014, 08:18:25 PM »
Thank you Macbre and CMdeux!
I will definitely check those threads out! In working through my different classes I always try to write about something that either A is really important to me personally or B something I really, really want to learn about! It makes writing so much easier, interesting and even fun!
 So yes, giant bummer that we are figuring out this whole peanut allergy thing with my daughter, but bonus for me and any children that walk into my classroom with food allergies!
Thanks you!
Karen

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2014, 11:37:33 PM »
I'm so sorry about your daughters recent diagnosis. I love your topic though. I.Hope it has some impact. I think one aspect you can really touch on is her age at diagnosis. What if there are others who are undiagnosed and have their first reaction at school. No training, no epi. Wouldn't be an issue if there was no food in the classroom. And if there is a reaction is there any liability on the schools behalf since the parent never sent in that food or gave permission to school to serve food outside of lunch, etc.  Good luck and welcome!
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline fuji

« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:02:53 AM »
I finished my paper and submitted it, it was graded in about a half hour! PASSED!! :happydance: Yeah me! Now I just have to do the presentation in front of a video camera. If you want to see what I wrote, I'd be happy to send it via PM or Email. Just let me know if you want to see it.
Thanks again for all of your help!

Karen

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2014, 10:04:42 AM »
Congratulations!  That's terrific.   :coolbeans:

Western U.S.

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2014, 11:58:13 PM »
Awesome! I am glad it went so well for you!

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2014, 06:07:59 AM »
Good for you!  And....  Good for us!  ;D

And I'm thrilled that your mentor was receptive as well.   :thumbsup:
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US