FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Off to College with Allergies and Asthma  (Read 5461 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Off to College with Allergies and Asthma
« on: August 06, 2014, 01:05:19 PM »
"Off to College with Allergies and Asthma"

This article has been reviewed by Thanai Pongdee, MD, FAAAAI

http://www.aaaai.org/Aaaai/media/MediaLibrary/PDF%20Documents/Libraries/EL-living-with-allergies-and-asthma-college-patient.pdf

Offline nonuteen

Re: Off to College with Allergies and Asthma
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2014, 02:08:05 PM »
I think it is scary that at the bottom of the article it states "only 3.5% of those with food allergies inform dining staff" .  Maybe that's why the college my dd is attending says they have never dealt with someone with a LTFA before?? 

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »
There was just a twitter "back to school" chat - #allergyschool

There were lots of great links, especially for college, that I'll try & post when I have some more time.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2014, 03:00:15 PM »
I think it is scary that at the bottom of the article it states "only 3.5% of those with food allergies inform dining staff" .  Maybe that's why the college my dd is attending says they have never dealt with someone with a LTFA before??

I know-- I really wonder at that, too.  I certainly hope that it's the case that they simply haven't felt the need given a very high reaction threshold.   :-[
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline maeve

« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2014, 03:35:08 PM »

I know-- I really wonder at that, too.  I certainly hope that it's the case that they simply haven't felt the need given a very high reaction threshold.   :-[

I think that is definitely the case.  I have known of kids in the public elementary school who have food allergies and had not informed the school. One with a shellfish allergy didn't have an EpiPen and once her mom told me that the girl had had a reaction because she simply pulled the shellfish out of sushi and ate what remained.
"Oh, I'm such an unholy mess of a girl."

USA-Virginia
DD allergic to peanuts, tree nuts, and egg; OAS to cantaloupe and cucumber

Offline nonuteen

« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2014, 07:04:04 PM »

There were lots of great links, especially for college, that I'll try & post when I have some more time.

I'm not on twitter but would very interested in any college/FA links!!:)

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 12:06:37 AM »

I'm not on twitter but would very interested in any college/FA links!!:)

I started a college thread here ...

College - General Clearinghouse Thread

Some stuff was from the twitter chat ... a lot of other links I collected quickly from google & from our board.

Hope it helps.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 12:32:43 AM »
We've kicked around the idea of combining the teen forum with a college forum. Whichever of these links aren't  already in the Teen forum, perhaps we should move them.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2014, 12:41:30 AM »
Honestly, this is one of those things that probably NEEDS to be in the teen forum, but indexed here in schools somehow.

It's a crossover area-- much like first jobs, etc.  Sometimes it's parents helping to troubleshoot (and they may look in "schools" for something, or in "adults") and sometimes it is teens themselves doing the looking.

:)

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2014, 08:09:04 AM »
Which is why we should have a college subforum in teens or in schools. :yes:

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2014, 08:39:45 AM »
I'm not sure of the best way to handle it ... the teen stuff in the college thread from yesterday ... I was probably going to start a teen thread in the teen section and include a link in the college thread.

-------------

A lot of our college info is targeted to teens, but at the same time, not everybody that may need FA college info will be a teen ... so I'm not sure if combining the 2 is a good idea.

College is different than other school so maybe "college" or "college/advanced ed" needs to be by itself (maybe sub to school) and then stickied links at the top of each section (college & teen) can connect main top thread (or just a simple thread in each place describing the types of posts in each section and the connection) in each section so it is realized by readers that there is relevant/related info in other section.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 08:49:12 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2014, 01:49:27 PM »
Maybe a sticky in each forum--

adults, teens, and schools--

since this touches upon parenting, schools, and young adulthood, as well as potential employment issues for other adults (in academia).

Where should it ultimately live?  Well, my inclination is to put it in adults.  That is where a young adult (19-20 yo) would go looking for it first, most likely, and I suspect that adults managing FA on their own on a college campus may not go looking for info at 17 or 18, but might be more likely to after problems become apparent during their first year of campus life.  KWIM?

I'm disinclined to put it here in Schools because the rules are substantially different for higher ed than they are for K-12, and some elements of eligibility are not even applicable in the age group typically served in higher ed.

But "teens" doesn't seem quite right, either.  Well, some elements of it are, I suppose-- but really, college management is only initially a "teen" (and beginning independence) issue, if you see what I mean.

Yes, cross-linked and sticky threads.  Maybe with headings and categories, even, to point out locations of OTHER useful threads/topics in other fora-- so for example, if I were looking for "safe snack" threads, I might initially look here in schools, but there are also those threads in Main, in Manufacturers.  It's not wrong that they are in those places-- especially if they don't particular pertain to a school-related concern of some sort-- but they would probably be helpful to anyone looking up the information, too.

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2014, 02:31:52 PM »
My thinking is that the collection of links is very helpful. But what we really need is all the threads that relate to college in one forum.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2014, 04:45:02 PM »
My thinking is that the collection of links is very helpful. But what we really need is all the threads that relate to college in one forum.

It's evident that I was in my scattered thinking/communication mode with that last post  :).

Yes, I agree a college forum (or sub forum) would be a good idea ....

Where to put it ... hmmm

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2014, 05:11:54 PM »
Teen?  Adult? 

Western U.S.