imagelogin
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Looking for quick easy breakfast for Teen  (Read 10551 times)

Description:

Offline fuji

Looking for quick easy breakfast for Teen
« on: August 11, 2014, 01:21:53 PM »
My DD13 was recently diagnosed with PA this summer, so we are starting a new school year with a new allergy. She's not a big breakfast eater and gets nauseous easily; eggs before 10am, too sugary(ie cereal, donuts, pastries), eating too early, eating too late, not eating, eating too much, etc.). Last year I would make her a (1/4cup) meal replacement shake (It's a MLM,so I won't mention the company name), however upon reading the label it is manufactured on equipment that also processes peanuts. :pout: This was about the only thing she could get down so early and not feel nauseous. This shake actually tastes good, I've tried some others and they taste terrible.  The shake we were using had 33% of most vitamins and minerals for the daily requirement and it was sugar free. It did have just a tiny bit of splenda, which I would prefer not to have. However, it was a minute amount.  She doesn't seem to have a problem with splenda or other artificial sweeteners, I just prefer to stay away if at all possible. She must have protein, between the milk and the shake I think she was getting about 5-8 grams. Any ideas?
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
Re: Looking for quick easy breakfast for Teen
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2014, 01:43:05 PM »
Well, I had to (eventually) just let go of my 13yo actually eating something that I considered a reasonable breakfast at about this age.

It just doesn't work for her (and she has many of the same problems with nausea if she eats 'wrong' or not at all).

Fruit smoothies work for her.  I use frozen fruit and half-and-half for calories.    I can also add powdered mineral supplements to it if I'm truly concerned, say, about her calcium intake.

I also make "breakfast cookies" that are basically "Monster" cookies made with sunbutter, orange juice concentrate (fortified with calcium) or pumpkin, flax seeds, oats and other grains, and craisins or raisins.   Sometimes she likes those, and being home-made, they don't have the added sweeteners that make things "too sweet" like commercial breakfast bars do. 

Sometimes she just grabs a snack about 10:30 once she's had a chance to be awake for a bit longer.  Teens often switch their eating habits and sleep needs anyway-- just something to think about there.

I'd also invite HER to come up with some alternatives-- I've found that my DD is much more willing to try HER ideas than mine.   :thumbsup:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline fuji

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:30 PM »
I've asked her if she has any ideas, but she hasn't come up with any. However, she knows she needs to eat something, even if it's just a bite or two. :) She prefers a smoothie/shake, what do you put in yours? I think those cookies sound marvelous, but I think they would be too much for her. She's mostly an afternoon/early evening eater. I'm not worried so much about her nutrition as much as getting something in her so she's not nauseous first thing in the morning.
Me: Mild hayfever, asthma
DH: Mild hayfever
DS24: Grass allergy, very mild hayfever
DS16: Severe grass allergy, mild hayfever
DD14: Peanut allergy, very mild hayfever

Offline hedgehog

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:40 PM »
Maybe you could bake some mini-muffins.  That way she can have only one or two if not hungry, more if she feels like it. 

Also, there is nothing wrong with non-breakfast foods for breakfast.  My childhood best friend did not like any traditional breakfast foods, so she usually ate either a sandwuch, or something like beef stew or chili in the morning.  Hey, whatever works.
USA

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2014, 04:39:07 PM »
Um... my DD's "usual" breakfast?

A few sips of chocolate milk.   A tiny serving of mandarin orange segments, or a few bites of sliced peaches.    :hiding:

Sometimes she'll make herself a mini-sandwich out of a King's Hawaiian roll and a slice of turkey-- sometimes even with some cheese.  This makes a slider-sized "sandwich" of sorts.

1/4 of half-and-half with 1/2c of frozen fruit (peaches or mixed berries are DD's favorites-- she doesn't like bananas).  For smoothies, a mini-blender that will handle frozen fruit is a must for small quantities like this. 

She eats well otherwise, so I don't worry about this too much.  Honestly, if I want her to eat breakfast, she has to get out of bed at least an hour beforehand.  That is my real trick with her.   She gets up at the same time (roughly) each morning, and runs, then comes back and has breakfast (such as it is) before showering.
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2014, 09:27:40 PM »
DS doesn't sit for breakfast. He's 16. PA only. And vegetarian.

Some things in our house:
•Cheese stick
•Nuker cheat quesadilla (instead of a quesadilla on the panini maker, slap some cheese in the flour tortilla, gold it over and nuke for 20 secs.
•Cream cheese roll up nuked for 15 secs (in a flour tortilla)
•Bagel (we use Lender's) with cream cheese. To make things faster, we keep them in the fridge, not freezer.
•Hard boiled egg
•MacMuffin homemade. We use Thomas English muffins for him. I cook an egg, add cheese. And pop it in the oven on low to keep warm
There are a few store bought brands that have been safe, but I've forgotten what they were
•Egg burrito (you'll notice we use flour tortillas a LOT!)
•Eggo waffle on the go (so not with syrup on a school morning).
•leftover pancake frozen and warmed in oven. Also without syrup. DH usually adds bananas.
•Nutrigrain bar
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2014, 08:03:05 AM »
Yogurt or Kefir.   I can't eat early in the morning.  I eat a yogurt (lactose free for me) and sometime mid morning I eat a protein or fiber bar.  That is when I seem to actually be hungry.

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2014, 08:45:23 PM »
I am all for skipping the breakfast food because it is just gross to me.  I head for last night's leftovers (and yes, I cook with those thoughts in mind).

I have also been bad at doing the whole breakfast thing for the last 10+ years but I have been working out in the morning and have come to the conclusion unless I want to face plant in front of my trainer, I should probably eat something ;)  Now I just have to worry about tooting.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2014, 10:36:59 PM »
I generally don't do 'breakfast food' either.  There aren't a whole lot of convenience breakfast options for someone with my allergies, and I typically need something relatively quick because I tend to be pretty tired in the morning, but if I take all my meds without food, bad things will happen.

I don't know if it is nut safe (not an allergen of mine) but I occasionally will use the Atkins meal replacement shakes when I'm not feeling well - I like the strawberry banana morning ones.

For breakfast foods, I do a lot of sandwiches - my typical breakfast is a ham and cheese sandwich.  Sometimes I do chicken sandwiches or grilled sandwiches.  I like to have pasta for breakfast.  Sometimes I'll do a bagel with cream cheese, and occasionally I will have grits.

jackbrouno

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2014, 06:21:09 AM »
How about Wheat oats as an healthy breakfast

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2014, 08:27:27 AM »
Safe granola-type bar?

My kids weren't breakfast eaters with they were in Middle and HS either - just too early for them.  It really became a problem for younger DS b/c he had numerous low blood sugar episodes, one which resulted in passing out and a concussion from smacking his head upon landing.  :disappointed:   I hope you can find a good solution for her.

I love breakfast, but can't do carbs in the morning.  I need serious protein; if I don't have at least one egg I'm a mess all day.   I also find that my stomach responds best to routine in the AM; if you can find something that works for her stick with it.  Sensitive tummy types tend to need routine and repetition, especially first thing in the AM when the stomach is empty. 

And I second not limiting the choices to "breakfast" type foods - a rolled up piece of turkey or ham with cheese may work well for her.

Good luck!
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline nameless

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2014, 10:20:14 AM »
does she like oatmeal? Not the packet-flavored kind, but plain quick oats w/ some berries thrown in.

I also like to do the high-protein homemade "energy bar". You control the sugar and add-ins, so something won't get too sweet. You can cut 'em in smaller pieces, maybe she just wants a bite or two or keep a ziploc baggie in the backpack to hit a few bites again mid-morning.

I riff off this base: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Playgroup-Granola-Bars

I've been cutting the brown sugar completely out and using maple syrup or honey (and less than the recipe requires). You can really do it to taste and then just keep mind of the moisture in the recipe. I use unsweetened applesauce for all the oil, so that helps when I cut the syrup/honey.

I use whole wheat flour and the wheat germ, add in crushed flax seeds, and you can add in protein powder too.

From there - it's the add-ins you want. I like to do sunbutter (I'll cut a little of the applesauce) and chocolate chip, or I'll do unsweetened coconut and cocoa nibs. Another yummy combo is pumpkin (again, cut the applesauce a bit) and craisins and then top with toasted pepitas (inside of pumpkin seed).

Depending how you play with the recipe you'll have to figure out the moisture ratio to get a cakey or crisper/denser bar.

They freeze exceptionally well.
40+ years dealing with:
Allergies: peanut, most treenuts, shrimp
New England

Offline LaurensMom

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2014, 05:36:01 AM »
DS has a similar issue. He has hypoglycemic tendencies so if he doesn't eat as soon as he gets up, his low sugar makes him nauseous and then he can't eat anything until it passes.
Turkey bacon is a favorite I have ready for him. I think the brand we have is Oscar Meyer Select, which has no nitrates. The bacon is really quite good.

Another favorite: Turn broiler on high. Put a piece of bread on the rack an watch it for just 3 minutes or so. When dark-to-taste, take out, flip it over and top the uncooked side with a slice of cheese. Watch it for another 3 minutes or so and watch the cheese bubble. Take out whenever you like. DD2 likes the cheese just melted. DS likes the cheese browned and bubbled. I love it either way. I grew up on this.

Other that than and bagel/egg sandwiches, DD isn't a fan if breakfast foods. So what do I give her? Anything she wants. Leftover steak, pasta, salad, meatballs...anything we have in the fridge. Pastina is a favorite - a pasta of tiny little balls boiled, drained with a beaten raw egg added just after cooking and butter/salt to taste. The pasta is so hot it cooks the egg immediately. Because the pasta is so tiny, it is easy on the stomach. I grew up on this too - especially recovering from a stomach bug.

Could you please post the type of breakfast drink you purchased? Looking for a protein option for myself to keep at work.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2014, 06:39:43 AM »
DS (PA) drinks the Kellogg's To Go mix drink.

A few years ago when he was on a liquid only drink he used Ensure I think. I will need to dig up that thread but is elsewhere. I will never forget that another member here, YKW, called the company for me. I wasn't able to do it myself because of what was going on with ds. It was a beautiful and thoughtful thing for her to do for me. :heart:

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 06:41:47 AM »
Ha--I grew up with the cheese bubble, too.  I haven't found that my Ds has taken to it or that it works well with the cheese we buy.  Glad someone else enjoys watching it!