FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Doctors -- Pediatrician, Allergist, Psychologist, etc  (Read 3969 times)

Description: 2013 and beyond

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Doctors -- Pediatrician, Allergist, Psychologist, etc
« on: February 28, 2013, 09:20:04 PM »
Over the years (10+ for many of us) we've had many a discussion as to the physicians with whom we've worked (or disagreed!).

As mentioned elsewhere recently, some of us are looking for new primary care doc and/or new allergist for ourselves or family member.

Now might be a really good time to have a big, fat, long discussion thread about this topic.

Sooooo . . .

just one link to read and think about your relationship(s) with your docs and what you might like to see in new doc, or what you'd maybe do differently . . . to include how YOU interact with doc/staff perhaps?

Here's a link (don't let the source scare you -- AARP -- they have some great info and this is just a springboard).

http://www.aarp.org/health/doctors-hospitals/info-12-2011/doctor-patient-complaints.1.html

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: Doctors -- Pediatrician, Allergist, Psychologist, etc
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
And I'd like to welcome any licensed care providers to weigh in as well . . .

:)

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 08:35:48 AM »
Oh, I have to come back to this one.  It will take a glass of wine and some thought!  I have not changed DD's doctors....but often second guessed if our original choices - ours or referrals were the right ones.

twinturbo

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 08:38:01 AM »
Sitting here with an Auvi-q waiting to see if mystery hives coming through Zyrtec gets worse so might as well post while I wait it out. Must have been from touching DS1's chair at the dining table he eats bread there.

Relationships with doctors? From a mix of personal trial and error coupled with many doctor friends venting about patients I think we have the chance to define the nature of the relationship through communication style, and learning about how reporting process works. In fact I think we define ourselves to the doctor forms the doctor's approach to dedicating time and resources to us as patients.

Part of it is like poker playing or business management--if it ain't working and you know it cut your losses and walk away. What I've found are the most challenging to negotiate in my favor are emergency personnel, those moments you deal in field medicine crisis with someone you've never met before and you all gotta make he right set of decision cascades in he first second starting with the first decision.

In those instances I've learned to fall back on the allergist's emergency treatment plan with EMTs and if there's difficulty with a resident MD or DO or nurse, I say I'm reporting a change in patient's condition or request the presence of an attending physician in ER ED situations.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 10:28:44 AM »
The subject of physicians making false accusations of Munchausen by Proxy OR allegations of child abuse/neglect against parents of LTFA children has been touched on by our members more than once.

I thought I'd tuck this link here too & will add others as I (re)stumble on them:

M.A.M.A. was begun in response to the fast growing number of false allegations of Munchausen Syndrome by Proxy (MSBP). Parents are being accused of making their own children ill. Increasingly, families across America, Britain, Australia, Canada and New Zealand are being destroyed by doctors and other professionals who make false and even malicious allegations against desperate mothers of chronically/critically ill children. 

http://www.msbp.com/

PLEASE feel free to share your own related links in this thread!!

Thanking you!

Offline Gray

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2013, 11:20:06 AM »
Some topics are too fresh and too hurtful to talk about right now ... but this is a great topic, and I may come back to it later.
I've learned a lot over the years from both good and bad doctor-patient relationships.
DD passed an IOFC but is now on a small maintenance dose since she started having mild reactions at home.  This is allergist supervised - do NOT try this without allergist approval - there is a risk of anaphylaxis.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2013, 10:50:20 PM »
Thank you, Gray.

We hope you'll be back to post more in this thread & other places at FAS.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2014, 09:03:25 AM »
http://www.amazingandatopic.com/2014/02/justina-pelletier-kidnapped-by-boston-childrens.html

My parents dutifully took their word when they said I would "outgrow" it and hoped for the best, but what if they had pushed back and demanded answers?  Would they have been accused of "medical child abuse"?  I shudder to think...

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 08:14:55 AM »
Can I just say that I really like our GI doc?

She gets it ... she knows I'm not trying to offend, or go overboard with questions/articles, or overstep into "doctor" territory ... in her words - "you are not trying to challenge me".   :yes:

Lol - at this point I don't think my research tendencies are going away - so best probably to acknowledge, control, and make sure our styles don't clash.  I told her - just tell me if I'm getting carried away.

She put me at ease that questions and my involvement in my dd's health were welcome.  In her words, we are a team  :yes:.  She told me that I have to be comfortable with the treatment plan, that there is some flexibility - there is more than one way to skin a cat.

At the same time, she is the doc ... she mentioned a situation where a patient wanted her to perform a procedure and she refused.

She is very patient and kind, answering questions with a little greater depth for me.  She listens and she educates patients.

:thumbsup:

ETA - I wonder if she likes Star Wars  :misspeak: .... this is too funny (warning - a little language):
"Colon Wars"
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=74oK6RFNmDg&list=PLqBLoScSYEGdT6e0PpIVNWpdTZonayRkV&feature=youtu.be

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Living with Food Allergies, FEB 2013

It's so nice when you feel your allergist really knows her stuff, when everything said makes sense, when you feel that you are in good hands.  I feel like we are on the same page as far as how to handle things.  Definitely worth the drive.

:yes:

Oh, this makes my day, Links!!   :heart:  I want that for EVERY person at FAS.

and you know what else ... she's kind, and very professional.

Yes, I also wish that for all with FA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good experiences with allergists and staff

« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 08:19:06 AM by LinksEtc »

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:25 AM »
Lots of us have tweens / teens who will be transitioning away from pediatricians and on to "adult" physicians . . . 

LOL . . . that did not come out quite right!   ;D

But you know what I mean.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2014, 10:12:02 AM »
Lots of us have tweens / teens who will be transitioning away from pediatricians and on to "adult" physicians . . . 

LOL . . . that did not come out quite right!   ;D

But you know what I mean.

It can be hard for older teens to transition to non-pediatric docs