FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Woman loses job offer for having peanut allergy  (Read 2625 times)

Description:

Offline LinksEtc

Woman loses job offer for having peanut allergy
« on: August 14, 2014, 05:45:48 PM »
Tweeted by @AllergieVoeding

"Woman loses job offer for having peanut allergy"
http://www.theindychannel.com/news/u-s-world/woman-loses-job-offer-for-having-peanut-allergy?utm_medium=referral&utm_source=t.co

Kameela Coleman said she was scheduled to start her job working as scheduling coordinator at a dental outpatient clinic at Boston Children's Hospital this week.

Experts said that the severity of the allergy could determine if Coleman would be legally covered under the law. Even with a severe allergy, employers can argue that hiring a person with a disability would result in an "undue hardship" for the employer.

This was at a hospital  :-[ .

« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 05:51:04 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Woman loses job offer for having peanut allergy
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2014, 08:44:47 AM »
Yikes.

How with the new ADAAA? Undue hardship my right foot. I know of a nonprofit where the CEO cannot drive anymore due to vision loss, and the org accommodates him.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline RudderBird

Re: Woman loses job offer for having peanut allergy
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2014, 03:52:13 PM »
That is sad. I am so thankful that my employer has been extremely understanding and supportive of me. If anything, my allergy keeps the office more tidy...sunflower seed shells make a nasty mess!