login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: All alone at the allergy table  (Read 9869 times)

Description:

Offline joanna5

Re: All alone at the allergy table
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2014, 01:46:52 PM »
My oldest is allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard.  In the past, he has sat at the allergy table.  It's peanut and tree nut free, but does have his other allergens.  What we did the last few years is to have a buffer where no one with "spillable milk" sat in the seat on either side of him.  We also had a spare lunch in the nurse's cabinet (unopened box of crackers, a couple of Sunbutter squeezes, and a safe granola bar).  It wasn't gourmet, but it could get him through the day if his lunch did get spilled on somehow.  His first year in our district was in second grade and it took a few days to get things rolling with friends at the allergy table, but his teacher helped, as did the guidance counselor.  Last year, his table was very popular because kids from more than one class could sit there. 

This year he has the option of sitting at the allergy table or at the head of his class table (with cleaning precautions in place).  It's a big step, but he's excited and feels ready. 
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Offline fluffy

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
We also had a spare lunch in the nurse's cabinet (unopened box of crackers, a couple of Sunbutter squeezes, and a safe granola bar).  It wasn't gourmet, but it could get him through the day if his lunch did get spilled on somehow. 

It's so ironic that you posted this, because this very thing happened to us yesterday.  She dropped her lunch on the floor and it all spilled out.  I wasn't immediately available, so she didn't get to eat lunch with her class.

I will absolutely do this.  So smart!!  Where do you find Sunbutter squeezes?  Did you have to order them?

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2014, 04:52:48 PM »
A bit odd topic, but consider shelf-stable food for an extended lock down. Ours was kept in principals emergency bag
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline joanna5

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2014, 10:23:05 PM »
We also had a spare lunch in the nurse's cabinet (unopened box of crackers, a couple of Sunbutter squeezes, and a safe granola bar).  It wasn't gourmet, but it could get him through the day if his lunch did get spilled on somehow. 

It's so ironic that you posted this, because this very thing happened to us yesterday.  She dropped her lunch on the floor and it all spilled out.  I wasn't immediately available, so she didn't get to eat lunch with her class.

I will absolutely do this.  So smart!!  Where do you find Sunbutter squeezes?  Did you have to order them?

We order them from Amazon.  That's where we get our regular Sunbutter from, too- it's cheaper by the case than buying it in the store.
David (10/04): Allergic to milk, eggs, peanuts, tree nuts, and mustard
Allison (9/06): NKA
Ryan (3/11): Allergic to milk and eggs

Marie

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 08:57:10 PM »
You have forgotten the 1 person to talk with-the School Nurse.  She is the medical expert-not the classroom teacher.  School Nurses advocate for the health, safety and social emotional needs of ALL students. 

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2015, 07:52:57 PM »
When my son was younger he sat at at a multi-allergen-free table.  The school teachers and staff who watched lunch or were at the start of lunch would look for kids who got juice with their lunches and have them sit with DS.  Hot lunch was always nut-free so they could eat with DS if they had hot lunch and juice.  I hope you find a way your child doesn't have to sit alone.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2015, 07:54:19 PM »
Another option is for your child to pull a small classroom desk next to a lunch table, leaving a bit of a gap in case anyone spills milk.  The gap will keep the milk from spilling on your child's desk and food.  I can see some not liking this idea but I know some who do this and are happy with it.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2015, 10:51:06 AM »
You have forgotten the 1 person to talk with-the School Nurse.  She is the medical expert-not the classroom teacher.  School Nurses advocate for the health, safety and social emotional needs of ALL students.

Hi, Marie!  Thanks for joining us and hope you will register as a member and stay!

Some of us have kids in schools with NO school nurse or even anything resembing a school nurse.  Others have dedicated full-time school nurse, but there seems to be no guarantee as to if/how that school nurse will or won't advocate for the student.  Sometimes she/he is not willing or able to make input to the admin and/or really have much say in the matter.  Lots of dynamics here. 

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!