FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Lofthouse Cookies  (Read 29670 times)

Description: added a nut free facility

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Lofthouse Cookies
« on: August 28, 2014, 09:05:46 AM »
http://www.lofthousecookies.com/

This is not a cookie we eat, but in a jam have wished they were safe since they seem to be everywhere.  I found out from a FB group that they are added/or made a facility nut free.  The FB post said to read the packages because they will be selling off old stock. 

FYI: this is a ConAgra company

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Lofthouse Cookies
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 12:42:01 PM »
Aww. They're not here, but I've shown then to DS so that when he is on the east coast for speech tournaments he'll know he can buy them.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 02:26:00 PM »
Someone on one of the facebook groups emailed Con Agra to ask about ingredients such as sprinkles. Here's the reply:

Suppliers of ingredients have to make their own allergen declarations. No peanuts or tree nuts are allowed in the facility NOR are any ingredients with any form of precautionary statement for peanuts or tree nuts. We do not, however, subject all incoming raw materials to confirmatory testing.

so it's similar to krispy kreme's policy.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Jessica

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 02:31:17 PM »
Also, if you can find them, here is another option:
http://www.richs.com/richs-nut-free-frosted-sugar-cookies-deliver-satisfying-solution-recent-nut-allergy-ecosystem-survey-findings/

Also we have seen and bought peanut and tree nut free cookies sold at Walmart. I can't remember the brand but I think it's COR or something like that.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 03:59:07 PM »
Jessica, that is very interesting.  I may call Rich's and see if their pizza dough is now made in that factory.  For years, they made their pizza dough on the same lines as their peanut butter cookies (I've called a number of times). This prevented DS from eating pizza at the skating rink at his birthday party--the rink switched to Rich's the week before the party.  We've run into Rich's pizza at places like convention centers and skating rinks that make pizza but don't make it from scratch.

Anyway, that would be cool if they've switched their pizza to their pf facility.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Jessica

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2014, 04:23:00 PM »
Farm Rich (another Rich's company) actually moved a few of their items back into a facility with nuts and of course no warnings on the labels. I don't understand how a company can be so allergy aware they come up with a cookie made in a nut free plant but yet so unaware at the same time.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2015, 03:43:32 PM »
For those who can eat baked egg......

I confirmed last week that the egg ingredient is in the cookie, not the frosting.  DD had a frosted cookie after school today and I did not have to make it!

(we had been getting their un-frosted cookies for awhile.  The frosting and cookie ingredients are not separate.

Here is what they wrote: 

Thank you for contacting us regarding our Lofthouse Cookies.

We understand your concerns about food allergies and we want to tell you about what we do to make sure our labels are clear and will help you make decisions about which products are a good choice for you and your family.

Currently we do not use an egg in our Lofthouse Cookies frosting. 

The cookies are soft and so is the frosting and the boys are eyeballing them for after dinner tonight.

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2015, 01:17:11 PM »
So people are actually eating these then?!  I am soo tempted because we buy them often for the kids, but I was always kinda stand offish lol.
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2015, 02:45:59 PM »
Well, we do.  DD is the only one with allergies and she eats them with a big grin on her face.

Offline Princess Cheese

• The Princess of Cheese
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2015, 04:18:20 PM »
That's awesome!!  Is she peanut and tree nut allergic?

We also bought mini spring cupcakes at Walmart that said peanut free, and I believe it was by the Walmart bakery?  Can't remember right now!
U.S.A. || Adult || PN/TNA  ||
I also avoid fish and shellfish. 

Mommy to 5 amazing kids!! :)
2 girls & 3 boys <3

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »

We also bought mini spring cupcakes at Walmart that said peanut free, and I believe it was by the Walmart bakery?  Can't remember right now!

Technically those cupcakes are baked by an outside baker (whose name is really alluding me right now) and shipped to Walmart frozen.  Not all of the mini-cupcakes at Walmart are safe but we do consume a fair amount of the peanut free ones that are labeled as such.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
I have seen a lofthouse like frosted cookie at one of my grocery stores and I know it was from Canada...took me a while but finally found it...Soft and Delicious by Create a Treat. 

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 08:33:56 AM »

Yes, she is allergic to peanuts and all of the tree nuts except for recently passing a coconut challenge.

The Peanut Free cupcakes and brownie bites sold around here are from a bakery in NH called Freed's.  http://jacobsagency.com/mapleHurst_landingPages/cycle3/freeds.html  Originally the labels were done at either the plant or the store.  Now they are done at the plant and have a peanut free logo.

Ironically when I googled for their name, I found a thread from 2008!  YKW posted in it with a bunch of old friends!  http://allergy.hyperboards.com/?action=view_topic&topic_id=8054&start=1

I know there were threads later on about them too.  I remember posting in them about the labels.

Here's a quicky from 2012, Freeds Bakery
I find these all over now.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 08:37:53 AM by PurpleCat »

Online YouKnowWho

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2015, 09:13:09 AM »
Freeds - I kept coming up with Maplehurst last night but knew that was not the name but too tired to figure it out.  So Maplehurst owns Freeds now.

I have pointed out to the kids who can enjoy the Freed's cupcakes that Two Bite is similar, but unsafe.  Same with other mini-cupcakes.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2015, 08:37:35 PM »
Well, we do.  DD is the only one with allergies and she eats them with a big grin on her face.

Same here.
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy