login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Stock Epinephrine  (Read 2063 times)

Description: Canada

Offline spacecanada

Stock Epinephrine
« on: August 29, 2014, 03:27:41 PM »
Does anyone have a link to the stock epinephrine laws in Canada?  We're trying to assess them for at work (summer camps) but cannot find the guidelines.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum

Offline LinksEtc

Re: Stock Epinephrine
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2014, 10:13:00 PM »
Hmmm ...

Here are some general "Provincial laws, policies and guidelines" ...
http://allergicliving.com/2013/12/16/schools-and-allergies-resource-hub-canada/2/

let me do another quick search ....

I'm not finding too much.  I'm wondering if it's often handled at a local level.

"Anaphylaxis in Schools & Other Settings"
http://csaci.ca/images/upload-files/Anaphylaxis_3rd_Edition.pdf
Some school boards and schools purchase stock epinephrine auto-injectors (i.e. not prescribed for a specific person) for use in an emergency situation.

Maybe try contacting Allergic Living & ask them if they have more info?

« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 10:41:07 PM by LinksEtc »

Offline spacecanada

Re: Stock Epinephrine
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2014, 11:05:40 PM »
Thanks, Links. I couldn't find much either. The occupational health and safety first aid instructor who did training at work was very adamant that we couldn't use stock epinephrine under any circumstances and even had cases where people were charged and went to gaol for using it. That makes no sense and goes against my previous training. We have had stock epi in Canada for years! All the local camps and many schools have it too. So now everyone at work requires proof that we can keep it, yet alone administer it to anyone. Gah!

I will contact Allergic Living directly. I posted on their forum with no results.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum