FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Rich's Ice Cream  (Read 3388 times)

Description: Small company out of Florida

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Firebird
Rich's Ice Cream
« on: September 03, 2014, 07:32:54 AM »
Am trying to nail down current and correct info on Rich's products today.

There are a few dessert items of theirs offered via our school cafeteria.

Have concerns about Rich's allergen page, as the page and .pdf indicate "Updated 1/05/2011" . . .
http://www.richicecream.com/Allergens.cfm

It is unclear if they are TRULY labeling for "May Contain" and "Shared Facility" even though at the bottom of their allergen statement there is this caveat:

"*These items are produced on the same machinery that produce products containing peanuts.  However, the items are run on a different day after a full cleaning and sanitation program is completed to prevent cross contamination of peanuts and other allergens."

Some items are listed as being "Gluten Free" while there is no claim to anything being "peanut free" or "nut free".

Have call in to them today for some clarification . . . (but my focus is the peanut and nut issues, not asking gluten-related questions).
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:41:36 AM by ajasfolks2 »
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
Re: ** Rich's Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 07:35:31 AM »
Spoke with their company rep today:

#1 -- They are having tech issues such that they are unable to update the website allergen and nutrition info.  He sent me an updated version via email . . . I suggested they post new, current allergen statement to FB page, at the least to help themselves (and us) out.  Hoping they do this soon!

#2 -- ONLY the cone items are on shared line with peanut.  The ONLY peanuts (or nuts) used are the peanuts that top some cones.  The product labels for the peanut containing items state peanuts in ingredients.  However, the "may contains" don't say so on the individual product or the box -- you have to read it on the website allergen info to know.  (See their statement above as to caveat.)

#3 -- Their ice cream has no nut flavors or peanut flavors -- no obvious possible x-contam or shared lines there.

#4 -- The ice cream sandwiches also no obvious possible x-contam or shared lines with peanut / nuts.

Their products are available in *2* ways:  SCHOOLS and some ICE CREAM TRUCKS.  They do not currently supply to / sell in grocery stores.

They do not currently label anything as "peanut free" or "nut free" (remember there are no US food standards for that designation) -- but for our family's needs, their ice cream and novelty products -- OTHER than the cones -- would be acceptable so far as no peanuts or nuts.  Obviously, each family needs to assess for own use.

Very nice, knowledgable gentleman.  They are small, niche company working toward quality product that meets fed school lunch nutrition rules & regs, while being very mindful of the safety and needs for food allergic customers.

Guess I'll be going in to have lunch with a kid or 2 this week and trying one of these for myself.  Our kids will be THRILLED to be able to eat an ice cream sandwich again (it's been years!).

This was nice discovery today for our peanut / nut allergic family.

:happydance:
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 08:43:48 AM by ajasfolks2 »

Offline hezzier

• Global Moderator
Re: Rich's Ice Cream
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:48:52 AM »
It's a shame they don't sell to grocery stores.

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 08:49:21 AM »
This is body of their latest cover letter regarding some allergens:

To Our Valued Customers,                     June 3, 2014

Rich Ice Cream Company has developed systems for the management of allergenic materials minimizing the risk of allergen contamination. Our allergen program is based on best industry practices which include a robust sanitation program and strict adherence to cGMP’s (Current Good Manufacturing Practices).

Rich Ice Cream Company produces one product that contains peanuts (Nutty Sundae Cone), this product is produced on days dedicated solely to the Nutty Sundae Cone and as an added precaution employees wear a uniquely colored smock while working with peanut allergens. The equipment then undergoes a detailed cleaning/sanitation step. Additionally all equipment is visually inspected and is verified to be free of allergens using specialized equipment to detect traces of allergen proteins.

We at Rich Ice Cream are dedicated to safe quality products and feel confident that our allergen programs are adequate to prevent allergen contamination.

Respectfully Submitted by

Terry Merwin
Director of Food Quality, Safety and Sanitation

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 08:53:25 AM »
I am unable to successfully copy/paste the updated allergen info page as it is in a table format that won't translate here.

Bottom line as to peanut / nut:

CONES -- one cone has peanuts as topping;  Other cones on same shared line, but with the caveat as in my opening post and the letter I just posted from them.  Cones, technically then, are a "shared line" and "may contain peanuts".

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2014, 07:54:07 AM »
Ajas, before I show this to DS, can you confirm that this is the same company?

http://www.richicecream.com/Products.cfm?CategoryID=2
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2014, 08:16:05 AM »
Yes, that is same company.

:thumbsup:

Offline MamaZu

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2014, 03:04:03 PM »
I haven't been here in ages , but popped in today and am so happy to see this post!

Are these yummy Rich's treats in all of the county's schools?  :)

Must look into this...as I have never even considered checking the safety of icecream....

Offline ajasfolks2

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 06:07:34 AM »
Hey there, MamaZu!

Not sure if in all county schools . . . but on the county nutrition list . . . we may need to ask cafeteria managers if they can get & perhaps push them to add to individual school's offerings. 

So far, my DD says not at her middle school, but I'm gonna ask them if can get.  May take them awhile to go thru their supply of other items before they can order these from county supply . . . KWIM?  I don't know exactly how it works.