FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Discussion Boards > Recipes & Cooking

eggplant

(1/9) > >>

becca:
More branching out in the veggie world.  I have only made eggplant parmesean. 

More adventures in increasing the quantity and variety of plant based foods in my diet, vs animal proteins. 

Today, I roasted some eggplant slices, brushed with olive oil with some crushed garlic in it.  Then I made into a salad with a very good summer tomato, chick peas, torm basil leaves, and a basil salad dressing that I make.  It tastes good!

Also, I experimented with "massaged kale salad" this week.  LOL.  Basically, you work some lemon and EVOO into chopped kale and it softens/cooks with the acid, and looses the bitterness.  Yesterday's was so-so, but edible, and good with the beets, and cranberries an dgoat cheese crumbles. 

Today, I will try combining some of the pesto dressing into the kale I have left and have this eggplant salad with it. 

Maybe a lot of oil in this, so not low fat, but all EVOO, and fresh, local produce. 

nameless:
I *love* roasted eggplant!

I slice it into 3/4" rounds, and then cut the rounds into chunks (comes out mostly like triangle shapes).  I brush evoo on non-stick foil, put out the eggplant to lay flat, then brush evoo onto all of it. Eggplant sucks up evoo like nobody's business, so tossing it doesn't really work.

I roast it up at 400F until done. meanwhile...I've de-seeded roma's or a winy heirloom tomato...and roast that in a glass dish along side.

Then..I sea salt everything to season and it goes in the fridge.

I make a cold salad from cheese tortellini, the roasted eggplant and tomato, and basil (or spinach), and mix it up with olive oil.

SO GOOD!

I also will put the eggplant onto pizza or in a toasted sandwich (eggplant, tomato, mozzarella)

YUMMERS!
Adrienne

becca:
Oh, yum! 

I did think about roasting the tomato as well.  But was lazy, trying to minimze dishes. 

I think I overcooked it a tad, but I still like it. 

Macabre:
This is one of ours fave ways to eat eggplant. You roast eggplant rounds. While you're doing that, make a sauce if EVOO, balsamic, chopped parakeet, chopped kalamatas. Capers if you've got them. Whisk together. When you remove the eggplant from the oven, too with the green sauce. Wowza!!

--- Quote from: Macabre on September 01, 2014, 09:20:38 PM ---Eggplant with amazing green sauce (parsley, kalamatas, capers, olive oil, balsamic or red wine vinegar).

--- End quote ---

Macabre:
If I don't cook eggplant well enough my mouth itches a bit.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version