FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Anaphylactic Reaction (Unknown Trigger)  (Read 6298 times)

Description:

Offline Ciel

Anaphylactic Reaction (Unknown Trigger)
« on: September 10, 2014, 08:30:26 PM »
Hi folks, I've missed you! I feel like I need to spend a few minutes here to try and process the events of today.

It went something like this:

7:45 am - get on subway to go downtown

8:50 am - arrive at school, rush to my locker to drop off a bag that I didn't want to carry around

9:00 am - class begins

~ 10:45 - 20 minute break, I ate 2 slices of apple, about 5 grapes, 2 rice crackers, and about 3 pinches of homemade trail mix containing sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds, chocolate chips, dried cranberries and dried blueberries. The seeds, cranberries and chocolate chips were labelled as peanut-free and the blueberries were well labelled with warnings for other items, but not peanut or tree nuts. I have eaten from the same batch several time prior without incident.

~ 11:00-11:20 - feeling flushed, hot, itchy, ears are burning and slightly swollen. Red blotches on my cheeks and under my chin (but not typical raised hives or welts).

~ 11:30 - starting to feel panic and cannot organize my thoughts. Class ended, I asked my teacher where I could go for benadryl in the school. He suggest the first aid office.

~ 11:35 - the first aid office does not keep benadryl on hand. She suggested I try the convenience store, which did have some for sale.

11:40 - return to first aid office, took 50 mg benadryl and was told to sit for a while for observation.

11:50 - throat feels tight but oxygen % very good, blood pressure low-normal. feeling light headed and slightly disoriented.

12:05 - use ventolin 3x. oxygen % still good, itching almost disappeared. throat and chest feel very tight. very anxious at this point.

12:20 - injected epinephrine and paramedics were called.

12:50 - transported to hospital via ambulance. started vomiting and having liquid diarrhea, chest pain/tightness and throat swelling (mild?)

I was given fluids, antihistamines and prednisone and observed for almost 6 hours. Blood pressure was 100/52, but oxygen % stayed over 90 the entire time. I finally got home about 30 min ago, just before 9 pm.

I feel like I have been through the washing machine but definitely feeling much better now.

I already have been diagnosed with anxiety disorders and 'disordered eating patterns'. At this moment I do not wish to eat anything ever again. I have no clue exactly how this happened or what I reacted to. The only thing I can think of is that I forgot to wash my hands and then touched my food as I ate it.

I need a little talking down right now before I end up in a perpetual state of panic (I'm almost there as it is). I am terrified that it will rebound later like it did the last time I used my auto-injector.  Thanks for listening.

Offline Jessica

Re: Anaphylactic Reaction (Unknown Trigger)
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2014, 08:58:46 PM »
:( I'm so sorry. It's frustrating and scary as hell when you don't know the actual cause. Praying you don't rebound later.
USA
DD18-PA/TNA
DD16 and DS14-NKA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 07:59:46 AM »
How are you doing this morning?  So scary for you!  Hopefully you can figure out the trigger.  Meanwhile, you do need to calm your anxiety.  Go back to basic eating until you are confident to eat again.

My own anxiety is not food related.  It becomes a pattern and my doctor tells me it will not let up until I break the pattern either with medication, meditation or some other change like exercise.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 09:27:40 AM »
ciel, have not seen you here for quite a while!  I'm sorry you are here because of anaphylaxis.  How awful.  How are you this morning?
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 05:16:16 PM »
I'm so sorry that happened.  I'm glad you are OK.  How are you feeling today?

Offline Ciel

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 05:45:09 PM »
Thanks friends, your understanding means a lot. I feel much better today, mostly normal (whatever that means). I'm tired, my GI system is still upset and some eczema has popped around my eyes and nose. It's charming, trust me. Otherwise feeling pretty good.

The anxiety piece is not feeling good at all.

I forced myself to go out today because otherwise I might never leave my apartment again.

I forced myself to get on the subway and the bus today because otherwise I might never ride on transit again.

I forced myself to have a smoothie today because otherwise I might never eat again.

It's going to be a big scary challenge to walk back into the college on Monday. I'm communicating with my teachers now about the way forward, to start. I'm going to fight the urge to wear gloves indoors. And I will hope for the courage to go back.

Offline lakeswimr

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 08:24:14 PM »
((((hugs)))) 

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2014, 08:35:39 AM »
Sorry you went through this. Hope you are able to figure out a definite cause.

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 08:38:07 AM »
I completely understand that anxiety and I applaud you for getting out and forging ahead in spite of that scary reaction you had.   :clap:  You are so brave!  Don't forget that! 
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 02:26:45 PM »
I just wanted to say that I think that you're really brave for going out and getting food and trying to deal with the anxiety.  Anxiety is HARD.

Offline LinksEtc

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 06:35:08 PM »
 :grouphug:

Are you currently getting help for the anxiety from a professional that you trust?    :heart:

I'm glad that your physical symptoms resolved with treatment.

:grouphug:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 10:47:42 PM »
Ciel, I hope that today was a better day than yesterday.   :heart:  That anxiety is THE WORST in the first few days.

I'm so glad that you acted promptly and did the right things to manage your reaction.  You should really be proud of doing that.   :yes:
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 10:57:20 PM »
Oh, I'm sorry you had such a horrible reaction. 

It's really good to see you. I was thinking about you a few days ago and wondering how you were doing.  Reaction-wise and other health-wise I worry about you. This is going to sound really corny, but if you could see your way to just posting a note that you're doing okay once a month or two, it would be great to know that. 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Ciel

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2014, 08:57:17 AM »
Not corny, Macabre. Touching. I will do my best to stop by more often and I'll try to give an update in OT in the next week. I didn't think anyone noticed actually, so thank you. That goes for everyone who has offered support and encouragement -- Thank you.

Has anyone dealt with SEVERE reflux after anaphylaxis? It is awful. I have an appointment with a gastroenterologist tomorrow but would prefer some relief right now. The tissue is so irritated it is bleeding. Do popsicles help? I couldn't keep even a popsicle down this morning, maybe because there is so much inflammation and irritation going on? I just took a double dose of pantoprazole, fingers crossed.

I could use some good vibes to get me through today. I'm off to get some blood drawn for some testing and then down to the college for a class this afternoon. Between the anxiety,the reflux, the 'cannot-eat-itis', and the faded-but-still-visible rash on my face...I need all the positivity I can get.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2014, 10:25:21 AM »
You got it.   :smooch:

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.