FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Anaphylactic Reaction (Unknown Trigger)  (Read 6299 times)

Description:

Offline MandCmama

Re: Anaphylactic Reaction (Unknown Trigger)
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2014, 07:53:38 PM »
So sorry you're going through this. It sounds like you're doing a great job of handling one thing at a time, one foot in front of the other. Anxiety is such a bugger on its own. Add in LTFAs and it's just so much for one person. I truly hope there is someone in your life you feel safe enough to talk some of this through with. Someone you trust. I pray you feel more peace each day  :heart:
Pennsylvania, USA
DS#1 (Born 11/2006)- allergic to peanuts and tree nuts
DS#2 (Born 3/2009)- allergic to egg, peanuts, and tree nuts (and Penicillin as of ‘18)

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2014, 09:59:20 PM »
Ciel - could it be the steroids causing the reflux?  I gave up on steroids the last time because the acid was so bad (I was going through a huge mystery rash).  Janelle has said that the liquid steroids worked better in regards to reflux.

I just want to offer  :grouphug:
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline Janelle205

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2014, 03:42:18 PM »
Yes - pred bursts make my reflux really, really bad and painful.

I do double dose PPI in the morning (mine is omeprazole) and then double dose of an H2 blocker at night (mine is Zantac).  A few years ago some research came out that PPIs work better in the AM and H2 blockers overnight.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2014, 06:55:44 AM »
Popsicles are not good for reflux. At least for me. Sugary foods tend to kick up the acid.

I will take a Zantac. Not only does it help the acid reflux, it is a histamine-2 blocker.

Also--this is anecdotal. My allergist has me on a probiotic. I know. I rolled my eyes, too. But a University of Chicago study last month leads me to believe this could actually be beneficial for food allergies. (Study posted elsewhere in another thread).

Anyway, one day I was taking my probiotic pill and i was having awful acid reflux. The acid was really bad. I didn't know about changing the efficacy of either the Zantac or the probiotic if they were taken together, so I didn't want to do that. I also didn't want to take a tums with the probiotic in case they messed with it. 

So I just took the probiotic. And wow--I did not need the Zantac or tums. I'm not surprised that the probiotic helps my acid reflux, but I was surprised to get any benefit with a single dose (it was my first dose). Overall I have noticed a significant improvement in my reflux. In the last week I've only had to take a tums once and no Zantac (it was before bedtime and I needed quick relief [ate tomato sauce for dinner], so I took tums). I was taking it four to five times a week (or more). Also, taking too much in the way of Tums causes kidney stones for me, so I was already trying to reduce them. The probiotic is making that better it seems.

I am not necessarily recommending that for you. I'm taking one because my doctor told me to--and a particular one (that is top 8 free). But I just thought if mention something that is helping me.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2014, 06:56:29 AM »
And duh--of course people notice when tire not around! 
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Ciel

« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2014, 08:54:35 AM »
I think you guys are right about the steroids. I'm finished with the Prednisone now, at least.

I had my appointment yesterday with my Gastroenterologist/Internist. He switched up my meds again and prescribed Pariet (Rabeprazole). I was on Omeprazole for almost two years but it wasn't helping anymore, even with supplemental Zantac, so my GP switched me to Pantoprazole about 6 weeks ago. I've been on Nexium before as well. The pharmacist recommended liquid Gaviscon on Monday which actually helped soothe my throat tissue.  Janelle, I'm going to ask about the PPI in the am/H2 blocker in the PM -- I hadn't heard that before.

I feel like the Pantoprazole it is less helpful than the Omeprazole so I wonder if the combination of steroids, the decrease in efficiency of the meds, and the systemic upset pushed everything over the edge. He also scheduled me for an ultrasound, a gastroscopy and a colonoscopy and put in a referral to send me back to the geneticist.  And I need another referral to an allergist from my GP and I already have referrals in process for a dermatologist and CAMH. I'm overwhelmed!

I've taken probiotics for years off and on, I haven't paid attention to see if it helps my reflux. I've been lax about it lately so I will get back on it. Great suggestion. Vitamin C. has some anti-allergy properties too. Ginger, peppermint and/or nettle leaf tea were also recommended by my naturopath.

Right now I'm supposed to be in the class where the reaction started last week. I haven't even worked up enough courage to walk out the door yet.  :-/

Offline GingerPye

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2014, 09:55:35 AM »
 :grouphug:
DD, 25 - MA/EA/PA/env./eczema/asthma
DS, 22 - MA/EA/PA/env.
DH - adult-onset asthma
me - env. allergies, exhaustion, & mental collapse ...

Offline Mfamom

• Global Moderator
  • Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2014, 08:08:22 AM »
Hi Ciel,
i havent been on much lately and was thinking of you the other day.  Came to see if you've been here and found this.  I am glad you are okay and I'm so sorry you're having trouble.  Hang in there.   I hope you're feeling better! 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes