FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Newly Found Mom of Gluten,Wheat,Dairy & Sulphite Anaphylaxis Daughter  (Read 5666 times)

Description:

Offline AnaphylaxisMomma

Hi,

I am very newly being introduced to a young 6 year old child who suffers from anaphylaxis to Dairy, Wheat,Gluten & Sulphite.  She is touch reactant.  Her father and I got involved with each other approximately 4 months ago.  And although he has spent numerous hours educating me, and showing me the ropes on how to shop for his daughter and ensure her safety on all aspects, I am still beyond nervous.  You see his daughter lives with her mother full time and we live in a completely different area.  Although I have had short interaction with her, I have never been placed in a situation where my partner will not be present at all times during visits.

This weekend that is about to change, on the 20th we will have her for 3 whole days, she is very much aware and conscious of her allergies, and I am beyond nervous, I am trying to ensure that nothing takes place that could cause her to react, Shopping is the hardest part.  My daughter is touch reactant to life! Does anyone have any tips on how I could not only ease her fears (although she openly voices she has non), and let her know that I am going to try 1000% to keep her safe, as well as my own. Any pointers will be helpful, my partner works full time as a towe truck driver and is on call around the clock. 

On top of being anaphylaxis, she also suffers from Bacterial Overgrowth Syndrome and needs to take over 8000 (i think i quoted that number right) pro-biotics every morning just in order for her system to function regularily.

If anyone knows of a resource list that has ALL of the dairy related food groups, as well as wheat, gluten and sulphite that would be great, my partner knows them, and he knows what he is looking for but we cant seem to find a refined search list of these products so that i can properly educate myself on the subject as well.

AnaphylaxisMomma, Stepmom of Anaphylaxis Daughter Justice touch reactant to Dairy, Gluten, Wheat, Sulphite

Myself- Anaphylaxis to Wasp stings, Bee stings, HorseFly Bites, FireAnts & some Spiders. Currently waiting to undergo environmental testing for Anaphylaxis reaction to Sulphate

Offline SilverLining

Re: Newly Found Mom of Gluten,Wheat,Dairy & Sulphite Anaphylaxis Daughter
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2014, 07:30:12 PM »
Hi, and welcome to the forum. :)

There would not really be a list specifically for those allergens.  They would each be listed separately.

Would it be possible for her dad to go with you to do the shopping?   And set a specific area the is all "daughter safe foods".  And if it's not in that area, she is not allowed to have it unless her dad says OK first.  If her dad is not available by phone, would her mom be open to talking to you?

One thing you haven't mentioned is about cooking. Do you you and her dad have separate pots and pans for preparing her foods to make sure you don't cross contaminate safe foods?

Also, you mention that she is very aware of her own allergies.  Maybe with her dad there, let her tell you what foods are safe...or not safe.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2014, 11:04:03 PM »
So she has anaphylactic contact allergies to dairy and wheat?  (People aren't actually allergic to gluten in the same way they are to something like wheat, dairy or peanuts--it's a bit different). Sulfites are also a bit differ t, as it's a chemical allergy. What may be comforting to know is that a sulfite allergy is very rarely anaphylactic. More often than not, it's anaphylactoid.  It will cause a person to present with similar symptoms as one would see in anaphylaxis, but it's not really that. However it is possible.

I deal with a sulfite "allergy," too. Yuck--it's awful.

In addition to purchasing food, you'll need to deal with cross contact/contamination. Think counter tops, towels, the fridge handle. Dish scrub brushes and sponges.  It could be contaminated with wheat and dairy right now. I don't know about those, but peanut protein is effectively removed with Lysol wipes or Clorox wipes.

If you can't a new set of pans for her food, send what send what you have through the dishwasher a few times. Don't use anything porous like wooden spoons or things that don't get washed like cast iron.

I would avoid using dairy or wheat while she's there.

It's a lot!  I hope the next few days are great prep days for you!
« Last Edit: September 17, 2014, 07:02:22 AM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline SilverLining

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 06:36:10 AM »
Cutting boards is another high risk for cross contamination.  I would recommend buy a few new ones. They don't have to be expensive. And put them aside between her visits, so they always stay safe for her food,

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 06:41:44 AM »
I do not deal with those specific allergies but i was thinking the same as SL, to have dad go shopping with you to get safe food in the house for her.  Have a dedicated place for it, maybe even in a covered container, like a rubbermaid storage box.  And also, new sponges, clean kitchen surfaces, etc.  I know in my home, I sometimes find crumbs in odd places, like the silerware drawer, so my utensils could all be contaminated with wheat or gluten.  I think other family members open a bread bag with the drawer open.  So, be sure all storage spots are free of such contamination.  A separate set of cooking itmes sounds like a good idea or be very clean. 

It is great of you to go the extra mile in fidning out how to keep her safe. 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:27:15 AM »
My niece has to avoid dairy and gluten and I do a lot of baking for her. There is an app you can get for your phone to check products for gluten but you are dealing with so much more I'm not sure that would help.

I.would suggest eating very basic, clean food and avoid processed food. I'm talking chicken breast, vegetables and potatoes. There is a product called vegetti and you can make pasta from zucchini and other cool things and it is only around $10-15.

I don't know what the relationship is like with mom but I would ask her to email you a list of known safe products. I guarantee she is more worried than you are and should be happy to help keep her f2f safe. One thing I always tell people, is if you have any questions at all, ever, call me! I would much rather have you call me and be sure instead of making a judgement all on your own.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 09:46:18 AM »
We deal with allergies to wheat, rye, barley and egg.  There is not a list that I know of - I do tend to check the Celiac.com messageboards - they tend to deal more with milk and gluten allergens (I cannot tell from your post if you are in the US or abroad, they also have a large worldwide population).

DS1 is fine with pans that have no coating but teflon pans hold proteins.  We have his allergens in the house but with caveats - he is inhalent reactive so I never mix wheaty products but can cook them pre-mixed, ie frozen buns or canned biscuits.  For baking, I place parchment paper on our pans or use non-stick foil sheets. 

Toaster - can you purchase one that is solely for her use?  DS1 has one that is just a $10 toaster, it's not fab but great for taking the chill off his bread which has to be refrigerated or frozen to prevent spoilage. 

Above all - ask mom who deals with it on a day to day basis, she will probably have preferred and trusted brands (and there is a level of anxiety as an allergic person, so continuity will be key). 
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA