FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Probiotics  (Read 8273 times)

Description:

Offline sneaker

Probiotics
« on: October 16, 2014, 10:37:05 AM »
The doctor had recommended probiotics to help my dd, lots of eczema, acne and issues.  But I remember in the past when I had looked at probiotics in the store, that some of them contained milk. 

Does anyone recommend any probiotic brands that don't have milk?  Thanks.  She also can't have peanuts, tree nuts or sesame.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
Re: Probiotics
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 08:43:18 PM »
We just started DD on Digestive Advantage on the advice of her pediatrician. They're gummies.  They don't contain milk and the label reads fine for nuts and sesame, but I didn't call since DD is not allergic to those.  We bought ours at Costco.

ETA link:  http://www.digestiveadvantage.com
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 08:46:10 PM by rebekahc »
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 03:17:58 PM »
The one I mentioned in the other thread is top 8 free and I do find with a sesame allergy.

I didn't have access to the name when I posted this comment originally. It's Klaire Ther-biotic complete.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:53:31 PM by Macabre »
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2014, 03:31:22 PM »
I don't remember if I posted this in that other thread. I know I intended to.

Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline LaurensMom

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 03:35:06 PM »

My doctor recommended this type for us:
http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-brand-16

She uses them for her family. I don't think they contain milk because on their website, you can shop by "allergen free'.

Hope it helps

forvictoria

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2014, 01:16:27 PM »
I use
http://www.solgar.com/SolgarProducts/Advanced-Multi-Billion-Dophilus-Vegetable-Capsules.htm

CONTAINS NO MAJOR ALLERGENS
FREE OF: Gluten, Wheat, Dairy, Soy, Yeast, Sugar, Artificial Flavor, Sweetener, Preservatives and Color.

guess

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2014, 04:03:42 PM »
I'm looking into Culterelle for Kids right now.  The US adverts say milk free.  The Canadian adverts do not.  I'm unsure of the manufacturing processes between the two countries.  It does worry me when I read labels like "dairy, lactose and milk free".  What does that sort of repeated configuration mean with regard to FALCPA and cross contact in manufacturing?  Is the message for allergy concerns or for the co-opted definition of allergy that means self-diagnosed intolerance having nothing to do with actual allergy?

Offline MaryM

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2014, 07:58:10 PM »
Culturelle was the brand recommended to me by the nutritionist at Mt. Sinai for my dairy/egg allergic DS. 
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 08:41:37 AM by MaryM »

guess

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2014, 08:21:23 PM »
Right. on.  :thumbsup: Gonna go for it.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 09:38:42 AM »
Just as an FYI - not sure if it was Culturelle or contamination but the amount of uncontrollable diarrhea that DS1 had was unbelievable. 

But this is where I also add that he was avoiding wheat, rye, barley, rice, oats, corn, dairy, soy, eggs, peanuts and tree nuts so his diet was ummm, strange.  (Insane allergist who told me he wasn't gaining weight because he was eating foods he was allergic to - but if you test him via SPT and RAST, he will react to everything).  Corn avoidance really gummed up the works because it is probably the most added allergen in the weirdest of places.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA