login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Foods with allergens in classroom for class parties and events  (Read 6735 times)

Description: Foods with allergens in classroom for class p

Offline Beach Girl

Re: Foods with allergens in classroom for class parties and events
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 11:29:33 PM »
Where in CA are you?  I am in southern CA.  I am 19 and in my second year of college.  When I was in elementary school I was allergic to milk, egg, peanuts.  My 504 said I had a food free room.  All food had to be eaten outside.  If you are in southern CA, this is doable. If you are in northern CA, it might be too cold during the winter.   My mom and I had lots of experience with OCR in CA.  They are pretty clueless, but the threat of going to OCR was very effective with the school.  I filed a complaint with OCR two days after my 18th birthday when our Prom vendor refused to serve another girl with food allergies and me, and the school refused to tell them they had to.

PM me if you want.  I can give you my mom`s email address.  She remembers the details from when I was in elementary school much better than I do.

Offline allergymom_ca

« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2014, 01:48:39 PM »
Thank you all very much. The party went quite smoothly and I felt all my stress and time was totally worth it because my daughter could enjoy it safely and also have the snacks that other kids had. I had typed a letter to the principal regarding the cupcake incident, but did not send it. We had a family medical emergency at the same time - my f-i-l is battling terminal brain cancer and was in the ICU. My husband had to leave to be by them (out of the country) at a short notice to support them. He was going to review it before I sent it and wanted to the talk to the principal himself to prevent me from being any more stressed out. However, I didn't want to add one more thing to his worries right now and decided to drop the cupcake issue (which may be a mistake; time will tell). We had 4 day outdoor education camp after this party and surprisingly, the camp staff (not affiliated to the school) went out of the way to accommodate us, which I was very grateful for. We had another event this month (outdoor run in the school), for which the rest of the moms got popsicles and the teacher checked with me in advance. So far so good.

Once my husband returns, I will be revisiting this with the principal/vice-principal and making sure those additional accommodations get added to our 504!

Offline allergymom_ca

« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 01:51:45 PM »
Where in CA are you?  I am in southern CA.  I am 19 and in my second year of college.  When I was in elementary school I was allergic to milk, egg, peanuts.  My 504 said I had a food free room.  All food had to be eaten outside.  If you are in southern CA, this is doable. If you are in northern CA, it might be too cold during the winter.   My mom and I had lots of experience with OCR in CA.  They are pretty clueless, but the threat of going to OCR was very effective with the school.  I filed a complaint with OCR two days after my 18th birthday when our Prom vendor refused to serve another girl with food allergies and me, and the school refused to tell them they had to.

PM me if you want.  I can give you my mom`s email address.  She remembers the details from when I was in elementary school much better than I do.

Thank you. We are in northern CA. I found someone in the same school district who has since moved out, who had a similar 504 plan preventing those allergens in the classroom. I will be trying to get them to share the contents of their 504 plan and then try to get ours updated. If I can't move forward, I'll send you a message requesting your mom's email. Thanks again.