FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Gluten free Thanksgiving?  (Read 5370 times)

Description: need recipes

Offline aggiedog

Gluten free Thanksgiving?
« on: October 27, 2014, 09:29:10 AM »
My niece was just diagnosed with Celiac.  We do big Thanksgiving at our house every year and I'd like to make sure she can eat everything.

I'm thinking we'll have to modify one of the stuffing recipes (I usually make Yankee bread and Southern cornbread), gravy (I can make homemade and thicken with corn starch), and desserts.  The turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, green beans wrapped in bacon should be fine - unless you know of hidden gluten is those things.  All are made with fresh ingredients.

Anyone have good recipes for gf stuffing and desserts? 

FWIW, she was diagnosed after years of strange illness with a GI biopsy while still on her regular diet, so I'm inclined to believe the diagnosis is correct.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
Re: Gluten free Thanksgiving?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 01:56:37 PM »
I have some good gluten free dessert recipes. My niece can't have gluten either. Are you on pinterest? I have a board full of recipes there, but if not I will post them here for you.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline aggiedog

« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 04:14:28 PM »
I can do pinterest. :)  Do you send me a link or something?  I'm only marginally social media savvy.

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2014, 04:50:45 PM »
Let me see if I can link board. If not I will send you my username.
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline cammiec

• Oklahoma Rain Photography
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 10:28:06 AM »
There is a company that makes gluten free boxed stuffing mix, I think its Glutino.  It is actually very tasty!  Also if your family likes rolls, I recently discovered Udi's Classic French rolls.  They are the most normal-tasting gluten-free bread I've ever eaten!
wheat, buckwheat, rye, oats, flax, plum, kiwi, watermelon, honeydew melon, squash, garlic, pinenuts, pistachio
And now severely lactose intolerant

Offline krasota

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 11:53:30 PM »
Custard.  You can make pumpkin pie and just use a GF pie crust.  The Whole Foods GF bakehouse crusts are quite serviceable for this.

Namaste spice cake mix is nice.  I sometimes replace the water and oil with a can of pumpkin and bake cupcakes.  They take a long time to bake, but are tasty.

I could recommend recipes, but you'd end up buying 2-6 different flours/starches, plus a gum.  A mix might be kinder. ;)

--
DS (04/07) eggs (baked okay now!)
DD (03/12) eggs (small dose baked), stevia
DH histamine intolerance
Me?  Some days it seems like everything.