login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: What Went Wrong w/School Allergic Reaction  (Read 2786 times)

Description: gratefulfoodie

Offline LinksEtc

What Went Wrong w/School Allergic Reaction
« on: October 28, 2014, 08:55:51 PM »
Tweeted by @gratefulfoodie

"What Went Wrong w/School Allergic Reaction"
http://www.gratefulfoodie.com/went-wrong-wschool-alllergic-reaction/

Apparently, there was a kitchen mix up and peanut butter was used instead of a sunflower seed butter.  The second grade student ate the sandwich, told a custodian that his throat was “clogging and itching” and then was sent out to recess.

Offline daisy madness

Re: What Went Wrong w/School Allergic Reaction
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 09:41:30 PM »
So scary.  New policies need to be implemented immediately. 

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2014, 04:44:38 AM »
I, personally, don't think it would be a knee-jerk reaction to REMOVE peanut butter from the menu offerings.

This was a predictable surprise.

Just my .02-worth this early morning.

Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2014, 04:46:34 AM »
I appreciated her blog post, as there were cascading errors . . . and the outcome could have been catastrophic.

Top down and bottom up review and serious action should be taken ASAP!!

Offline 2ndGenAllergyMom

• 2nd Generation Allergy Mom
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:04:53 AM »
That is frightening.  Sent to recess?  I tell my sons to tell a grown-up if they feel a reaction, but if that grown-up tells them the outright WRONG thing to do? :misspeak:  (Is that a shudder?  It's supposed to be a shudder.)

*Add "if grown-up tells you to 'suck it up,' find a better grown-up ASAP" to car-ride safety drill.  Or perhaps "insist that said grown-up take you to the nurse"...
--Eileen

me: tree nuts, asthma
ds1: egg, peanut, Brazil nut, mild asthma
ds2: peanut, asthma

http://2ndgenallergymom.blogspot.com/
http://www.allergysuperheroes.com/

Offline ajasfolks2

« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2014, 09:11:29 AM »
Lots of "bowing to authority" in this event . . . so hard to get some kids to overcome this and discern . . . and also can be problem depending on school climate.

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2014, 12:20:02 PM »
2ndGen-- this is something that we've emphasized with DD-- that with her allergy, SHE is the expert.  The buck stops WITH HER.  Even with her dad and I.  Period.

The reason is a reaction that she had when she was seven, which (in hindsight) clearly involved cardiovascular features, and which out and out FRIGHTENED our allergist.  He flatly told me that "this is the kind of reaction that kills people."  In front of then-7-yo DD.  (In his defense, it wasn't like 'you could die' was news to her, btw.)

Still, under-reporting symptoms has been a chronic problem for her.  It just is for some kids, I think.

It worries me terribly even now. 
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline 2ndGenAllergyMom

• 2nd Generation Allergy Mom
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2014, 11:30:48 PM »
I under-reported symptoms as a kid.  Even hid a few reactions from caregivers (not my parents.)  And DS1 has done it once.  It's actually a subject I'm planning on blogging about in the near future: "The child who hides an allergic reaction."  If breaking down and analyzing my own mistakes can possibly help other parents find ways to prevent their own kids from doing it, then that's all I can hope for.

Conversation with DS1 went well today.  We went through some of the usual questions:  What do you do if your mouth starts to feel like egg?  If your teacher told you a food was safe but you still start to have a reaction, did she do it on purpose?  What do you do if you're on the playground when it happens and you can't find your teacher?  And then, What do you do if the teacher tells you "You're okay, just go back to playing"?  He was surprised at first, it had never occurred to him that that might happen.  But with a little prompting I got him to think it through and come up with some good solutions.
--Eileen

me: tree nuts, asthma
ds1: egg, peanut, Brazil nut, mild asthma
ds2: peanut, asthma

http://2ndgenallergymom.blogspot.com/
http://www.allergysuperheroes.com/

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2014, 12:41:44 PM »
DS has had that his self advocacy will be affirmed in his 504 plan.  We had an incident--not this grave--with a custodian in elem. The custodian made DS clean up other kids' trash from the cafeteria. Grrrrrr. Well, we also put in his 594 that he is only responsible for his trash---and that came in handy in MS a number of times after band trips when the kids were cleaning the bus.

Anyway, this is one reason why it's important to self carry as soon as a child can. Because if a kid is having a reaction and the adults won't listen, it's best if they don't have to depend on them if things get serious. Better for my child to be empowered to take care of himself if no one is listening. We've practiced this, too--getting out the cell ohone to call 911 if adults aren't taking it seriously or aren't following the plan. That was another good thing about getting a cell phone in fourth grade.
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2014, 03:28:25 PM »
Not an issue now that we are homeschooling but DS1 and DS2 were told by me if the adults around you in school ignore you, walk out of class and straight to the nurse.  Not the restroom, not the office, straight to the nurse (who got it).  I will deal with the aftermath.  We had a few issues of teachers ignoring itchiness without visible hives - told DS1 that nothing could be done.  DS1 doesn't always exhibit outward signs of hive...
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

Offline PurpleCat

« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2014, 08:49:50 AM »
With DD in the room, I always told the school nurses, if a teacher does not respond to concerns, you give my child permission to leave a classroom no matter what the teacher says and to take a friend and go straight to the nurses office.  The school nurses always stepped in and told DD "YES!  You do that and I (the school nurse) will deal with the teacher and administration". 

I was always supported on that concern by the nurses.