login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Wheat allergy is not Celiac or an intolerance  (Read 6267 times)

Description:

guess

Wheat allergy is not Celiac or an intolerance
« on: November 16, 2014, 01:17:40 PM »
http://www.foodallergy.org/allergens/wheat-allergy

Wheat allergy is most common in children, and is usually outgrown before reaching adulthood, often by age three. Symptoms of a wheat allergy reaction can range from mild, such as hives, to severe, such as anaphylaxis. Therefore it is advised that people with wheat allergy have quick access to an epinephrine auto-injector (such as an EpiPen®, Auvi-Q® or Adrenaclick®) at all times. To prevent a reaction, strict avoidance of wheat and wheat products is essential.

A wheat allergy should not be confused with “gluten intolerance” or celiac disease. A food allergy is an overreaction of the immune system to a specific food protein. When the food protein is ingested, in can trigger an allergic reaction that may include a range of symptoms from mild symptoms (rashes, hives, itching, swelling, etc.) to severe symptoms (trouble breathing, wheezing, loss of consciousness, etc.). A food allergy can be potentially fatal.

Celiac disease (also known as celiac sprue), which affects the small intestine, is caused by an abnormal immune reaction to gluten. Usually diagnosed by a gastroenterologist, it is a digestive disease that can cause serious complications, including malnutrition and intestinal damage, if left untreated. Individuals with celiac disease must avoid gluten, found in wheat, rye, barley and sometimes oats.

People who are allergic to wheat often may tolerate other grains. However, about 20 percent of children with wheat allergy also are allergic to other grains. Be sure to ask your doctor whether foods containing barley, rye, or oats are safe for you or your child to eat.

Offline YouKnowWho

Re: Wheat allergy is not Celiac or an intolerance
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 02:50:44 PM »
Thank you  :smooch:

We do have a member here who has the double whammy of allergies to wheat, rye and barley combined with Celiac though - it is possible.

DS1 is allergic to wheat, rye and barley.  Celiac is still on the table due to other issues but not at the point that we want to pursue further testing because it would be invasive at this point and in all likelihood stop something that we have worked hard to increase, his appetite.

But I also deal with the MIL who avoids gluten because it makes her feel miserable (who is an avid reader of Dr. Mercola and other quack based research) - the reality is that she probably does have Celiac but believes true medical drs are quacks.
DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

guess

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 03:19:16 PM »
I do worry about Celiac for the kids.  I think too often it's a rush to defense.  Just because they are not the same it's not wrong to be clear about the difference.  Quite the contrary, I would think it is more important for us with wheat/barley/rye to be more expert on Celiac for potential related differentiation.  If no other reason than threshold.  I think my kiddo has some minute threshold for IgE.  If he had Celiac, and I pray he doesn't, I wouldn't have any threshold.

Regardless, they're not the interchangeable.

Offline YouKnowWho

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 03:38:17 PM »
I understand.

But I will trust items vetted by the Celiac Sprue Association vs those from companies who cater to those with intolerances, ie Whole Foods and Dominos.

DS1 - Wheat, rye, barley and egg
DS2 - peanuts
DD -  tree nuts, soy and sunflower
Me - bananas, eggplant, many drugs
Southeast USA

guess

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 03:55:23 PM »
Me, too.  It's the only way to get a good read on the non top 8 like barley.  In fact, that might be a good thread topic alone.  What brands and products do we trust for barley and rye labeling since there's no FALCPA protection.  Moreover, I find it so dang hard to get real info on grain contamination from companies that no, it's not just a gluten thing, it's going to be all the proteins.  For nuts it's typically easier to get info.  I find with grains LTFA there's a technique to get past the Domino's definition of gluten free where it's more of a marketing term for no direct gluten ingredient but it's contaminated as all get out.

BTW, I posted an OIT on wheat.  It's the only one I've seen so if you've seen others let me know.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 04:03:31 PM by guess »

Offline spacecanada

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2017, 12:21:50 AM »
Adding this here as well:

https://www.anaphylaxis.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/Wheat-Allergy-v5-formatted-with-AC-logo-and-name-1.pdf

They have some good comparisons of various reactions to wheat: allergy, intolerance, Coeliac, etc.
ANA peanuts, tree nuts, wheat, potato, sorghum