CSPI Sesame Petition filed!!!

Started by LinksEtc, November 18, 2014, 11:09:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LinksEtc

Tweeted by @NutFreeWok

MURPHY, BLUMENTHAL, MARKEY CALL ON FDA TO LABEL AND REGULATE ALL SESAME PRODUCTS

http://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/murphy-blumenthal-call-on-fda-to-label-and-regulate-all-sesame-products

Quote"Currently, the inclusion of sesame as a major allergen in processed food is not explicitly regulated by FALCPA, making it difficult for those with sesame allergy to determine which products may contain this allergen," said James R. Baker, Jr., MD, CEO of Food Allergy Research & Education (FARE), an organization representing the 15 million Americans with food allergies. "With a significant documented increase in the prevalence of sesame allergy, which can be life-threatening, we are pleased to see Senator Murphy bring attention to the need and means for improving labeling to help families managing food allergies keep themselves and their loved ones safe."

hsw24

I get so frustrated that people won't support sesame labeling because they want better labeling on other things like cross contamination for the top 8, etc.  Just looking at the amount of time it would take to roll out a label change for sesame makes me believe we need to take care of sesame NOW and then we can talk about rolling out other changes on the same schedule since manufacturers will be looking at changing things anyway.  I love that Snack Safely is boosting the signal on sesame but I had to say something in response to their latest because I know people reading their piece will write off the sesame efforts as something that "isn't enough" for their own concerns: https://www.facebook.com/SnackSafely/posts/861392987280340

My KFA call was supposed to be today but they had to reschedule for next week - hope hope hoping that I can get a firm endorsement from them.  I emailed FAACT again this morning - my last email was May 23rd so hopefully this update will spur some response. 

ninjaroll

It's extremely myopic for any stakeholder in allergy advocacy to ignore the inroads CSPI Sesame Petition has made.  The process, the networking contacts, the cartographical value that is entirely transferable to subsequent efforts in regulatory updates.  Trailblazers need the roller derby support model. 

LinksEtc

:grouphug:   Homa.

This petition process is quite an emotional roller coaster.

hsw24

Myopic is the right word for it!  Thanks, guys... neat to see the Baker quote considering that FARE gave such a guarded statement before - I think what we need next is the meme idea mentioned upthread... maybe appealing to non top 8 folks with the "I teach my child not to trust labels..." theme?  I just don't understand the "this isn't far reaching enough" approach when ninja is so right about mapping a course.  I did try to Google what the roller derby model is but couldn't find it, though!

LinksEtc

lol ... I also used google to try & figure out what Ninja was getting at w/ the roller derby analogy.

;D

I often struggle to keep up w/ her thought process.     :bonking:

I think she will have to explain.   

ninjaroll

You throw your gal ahead, the one that's going to score for your team, at the cost of staying behind and block any attacks from opposition that would stop her.  It must be true because I saw it on television once.

LinksEtc

Quote from: ninjaroll on June 27, 2015, 10:26:53 AM
You throw your gal ahead, the one that's going to score for your team, at the cost of staying behind and block any attacks from opposition that would stop her.  It must be true because I saw it on television once.

:)

Ahhh, that makes sense.  I feel some are utilizing this strategy ... Homa, FAS, etc. ....

but a lot of the FA community isn't behaving much like a "team" ... me thinks "getting credit" & "being seen as the leader" may be highly important to some.

This was a merging of efforts (Homa, Brian, FAS, etc) but CSPI took the lead ... we should support them as they are using their resources & expertise to help the community. 

I asked the FA orgs many times to advocate for sesame labeling over the years ... most said better sesame labeling would be good but that they were focused on other priorities ... it doesn't seem fair that they get bent out of shape when we finally move ahead without them ... now FARE wants to do it their way (instead of supporting our efforts by endorsing the CSPI petition, informing their members, etc. - steps that would be fairly easy for them to do) ... whatever.

Reminder - snark is not helpful here Links.  Drop it.

Thinking nice thoughts of community & teamwork.

LinksEtc

Homa, I just tried to give you a little push on twitter.

:smooch:

hsw24

Love the roller derby analogy!  And thank you, Links!  It would be awesome if Allergic Living featured CSPI when all was said and done (wishful thinking).  They are a great group of people and if this ultimately comes from a push outside the usual FA suspects, it means the story could reach other outlets for awareness.

LinksEtc

FARE sent an email.  Glad to see.

QuoteFARE Supports Calls for Addition of Sesame as a Major Food Allergen
QuoteLast week, U.S. Sens. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) called on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to require labeling of products that contain sesame or sesame seeds.

It links to this:
http://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/murphy-blumenthal-call-on-fda-to-label-and-regulate-all-sesame-products?tr=y&auid=15752517

lakeswimr

Quote from: LinksEtc on June 30, 2015, 10:30:49 AM
FARE sent an email.  Glad to see.

QuoteFARE Supports Calls for Addition of Sesame as a Major Food Allergen
QuoteLast week, U.S. Sens. Chris Murphy (D-Conn.), Richard Blumenthal (D-Conn.) and Ed Markey (D-Mass.) called on the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to require labeling of products that contain sesame or sesame seeds.

It links to this:
http://www.murphy.senate.gov/newsroom/press-releases/murphy-blumenthal-call-on-fda-to-label-and-regulate-all-sesame-products?tr=y&auid=15752517

That's great.  I think that the bigger FA organizations will support this now that it has gone 'mainstream' via these senators.  :)

LinksEtc

FARE Supports Calls for Addition of Sesame as a Major Food Allergen

Posted at 1:58 pm by FARE, on July 1, 2015

http://blog.foodallergy.org/2015/07/01/fare-supports-calls-for-addition-of-sesame-as-a-major-food-allergen/

QuoteAs the leading advocacy organization representing the 15 million Americans with food allergies, FARE supports the addition of sesame to the list of "major food allergens" that are required to be identified on ingredient labels of processed foods.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 365 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Email:
Verification:
Please leave this box empty:
Type the letters shown in the picture
Listen to the letters / Request another image

Type the letters shown in the picture:
Please spell spammer backwards:
Three blonde, blue-eyed siblings are named Suzy, Jack and Bill.  What color hair does the sister have?:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview