FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: School Cookie Sale  (Read 2159 times)

Description: Allergy-friendly Options

Offline Ree

School Cookie Sale
« on: November 18, 2014, 09:03:30 PM »
Every year, a teacher in our elementary school runs a cookie sale to raise money for the playground.  Parents bake the cutout cookies and then the kids in her class frost, decorate and sell them to the other students after lunch.  The teacher who runs it is wonderful and asked me if I had a suggestion for kids with food allergies.  I'm happy to donate prepackaged single-serve treats, but can't think of any holiday themed options. 

Suggestions??

Thanks!
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline PurpleCat

Re: School Cookie Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2014, 07:30:24 AM »
If she is asking so that question with regard to the whole school population, avoiding all the allergens will be very very difficult.  I would not let my kiddo "buy" anything. 

Any chance they can sell lemonade? or something like that at a different table? 

Offline Ree

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 08:20:30 AM »
Yea, I know... She was asking if she could put out the holiday oreos and I told her that she should have only individual pre-packaged treats with ingredients.  Plus, oreos have wheat & soy.  Maybe we can consider a selection of things like fruit snacks & candies?  I feel like there should be something to offer.  I always make cutouts at home and send them in for my kids so they don't feel left out. :-/ 
DS1 (11) - PA
DS2 (9) - MA, EA, PA, TN (on baked milk for 1 year)
DS3 (7) - KNA

Offline momma2boys

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 04:29:45 PM »
Allergies aside, different people baking, no idea what their kitchens look like, then a bunch of kids handling them all?? No thanks!!  :disappointed:
peanut, treenut, sesame
Northeast, US

guess

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 06:55:58 PM »
Can't think of a 'safe' ingestion here.  And I do not mean that in a way to doody all over this teacher's favorite bake sale I'm just sayin' there's a entrepreneurial method of diversifying her product.

Sell other non-food stuff, too.  COOL stuff.