login
FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: Peanuts on Southwest  (Read 2139 times)

Description:

Offline Penny

Peanuts on Southwest
« on: November 06, 2014, 07:24:19 AM »
I was hoping my peanut allergy had become non-existent but flying Southwest yesterday tells me I'm as allergic as ever.  In the past I've requested a peanut-free flight but have had so few problems with peanuts (and asthma) that for the past year or two I've not requested a peanut-free flight on SW and haven't had an issue. But a late afternoon flight yesterday had me hacking, wheezing and hoarse within five minutes of the peanuts being served.

Question:  I am reluctant to request a peanut-free flight as it 'just' causes coughing/wheezing/hoarseness...equivalent to having a large hairy dog sitting in the seat next to me for the flight. I've read in the past that though airborne peanut dust can cause a reaction, there's not a worry about a serious reaction.  Does breathing peanut dust put my immune system's peanut antibodies into high gear, thus making the allergy worse?  Or is it no big deal..... 

What are your thoughts on this? 

« Last Edit: November 06, 2014, 07:27:36 AM by Penny »

Offline Macabre

• Global Moderator
  • Don't Blink!
Re: Peanuts on Southwest
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 07:30:16 AM »
I don't know ther answer to your last question, but anaphylaxis can present as asthma. Not that you had anaphylaxis, but I would never want to discount asthma-like symptoms.

It won't kill them not to have peanuts but raisins for a couple of hours. Protect yourself.

I'm sorry you're in this boat. :-/
Me: Sesame, shellfish, chamomile, sage
DS: Peanuts

Offline becca

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 07:36:37 AM »
Yeah, that would make me be sure to request no peanuts if it were dd having those symptoms.  How uncomfortable for hours on a plane, even if not deadly.  But who knows how it could turn? 
dd with peanut, tree nut and raw egg allergy

Offline starlight

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 08:40:57 AM »
yeah, I'm definitely NOT airborne allergic, but I always request the peanut-free flight when I fly Southwest. I mean, you're in a tin can high in the sky, why risk it and cause yourself that much extra anxiety? And you get to pre-board, which you can use to pick the very best seat and wipe the hell out of it and the window and the air conditioning controls.

Plus, then they distribute snacks that you might be able to eat and are way better than paltry peanuts (if you're ok with Nabisco that is). The pretzels have a may contain, but the plane cookies are awesome. And I've even gotten oreos before.

The only sad thing is that when I fly them, I'm scared to read Skymall because of the fingers that may have already touched it.  :pout:

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 10:17:59 AM »
Yup-- honestly, those are warning signs that you're in a HIGHLY unsafe environment, IMO.

I'm really sorry, but this sounds like a classic case of "YES, request the peanut free accommodation."   :-/
Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

Offline rebekahc

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2014, 01:37:00 PM »
I agree.  Ask for the peanut free flight.  When I get symptoms from airborne exposure I leave the area.  I assume that's why the reactions haven't gotten worse.  On the plane you can't leave, so I would think there's at least a good possibility that the reaction could continue to progress with the prolonged exposure.
TX - USA
DS - peanut, tree nut, milk, eggs, corn, soy, several meds, many environmentals. Finally back on Xolair!
DD - mystery anaphylaxis, shellfish.
DH - banana/avocado, aspirin.  Asthma.
Me - peanut, tree nut, shellfish, banana/avocado/latex,  some meds.

Offline Mfamom

• Committee Member Hermes
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2014, 01:53:49 PM »
maybe have the new component testing done.  You will have a better idea of what your risk of ana. reaction really is. 
It does sound like you're putting yourself in an uncomfortable/risky situation.  the asthma symptoms are troubling too as an out of control asthma attack can be risky. 
When People Show You Who They Are, Believe Them.  The First Time.

Committee Member Hermes

Offline Penny

« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 04:40:23 PM »
Thanks everyone. When in doubt I ask my friends here.  I'll ask for a peanut-free flight for my return.

Offline Penny

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 04:42:16 PM »
I'm not familiar with the new component testing - but I'll google it.

Offline Penny

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2014, 11:33:06 AM »
Yesterday I flew from BWI to PHX on Southwest and someone had already requested that my flight be peanut-free.  Couldn't help but wonder if someone from FAS was on board the same flight as me!

No peanuts were served but I was still hoarse for the entire flight.  I can't blame it on the lack of humidity in the aircraft as I fly a lot and this only happens on Southwest.  The SW aircraft must be permeated with peanut dust for this to happen.

Offline GoingNuts

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2014, 07:45:22 PM »
They are.

I had to take an early morning SW flight to go to a funeral. DS wasn't with me, so I wasmtt worried.  First flight ou and the plane reeked of PN.  And the flight attendants were actually tossing them at people like it was a game.  I was just looking on in horror.

Not only would i ask for a PN free flight, but you might want to wipe everything down as well.  Or find another airline.
"Speak out against the madness" - David Crosby
N.E. US

Offline Penny

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2014, 08:22:05 PM »
I'm also allergic to pinon, oak, pine, etc.  If someone threw a bucket or two of pinon pollen into a closed aircraft, I would expect to have issues. I don't know why reaction to peanut surprises me.
It has happened before but I thought it was 'getting better'.