FAS has upgraded our forum security. Some members may need to log in again. If you are unable to remember your login information, please email food.allergy.supt@flash.net and we will help you get back in. Thanks for your patience!

Author Topic: "7 Mistakes to Avoid . . . 504 Meeting" Allergic Living  (Read 2066 times)

Description: by Gina Mennett Lee

Offline ajasfolks2

• Committee Member Firebird
Is this where I blame iPhone and cuss like an old fighter pilot's wife?

**(&%@@&%$^%$#^%$#$*&      LOL!!   

guess

Re: "7 Mistakes to Avoid . . . 504 Meeting" Allergic Living
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 12:05:35 PM »
More or less, yes.  That's about what I would say.  I'm not sure about the title but that's minor detraction.

Upon further thought one not so minor detraction: #6.  It should be emphasized that the EAP is not part of the 504 as it's not a modification to programs or activities, and it's not an accommodation.  It's the IHP that should be included with the 504 but certainly categorized under duty of care and IHP.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:21:31 PM by guess »

Offline CMdeux

• Global Moderator
  • -- but sometimes the voices have good ideas!
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 01:08:47 PM »
Yup.

ALTHOUGH...  there are instances in which "detailed" means different things to different people.  Protocol exists for a reason, and providing "wiggle room" isn't it.

KWIM?

I'd also add that one other common mistake that I see parents make, over the years?

ONLY thinking about their child as a Kindergarten student (or whatever grade it happens to be). 

Your ideal should be a plan that fosters GROWTH in management, and awareness, as appropriate for that individual child.  Yes, your 5yo will need more interventions/accommodations than s/he will at 16.  That's to be expected.  But be aware of what that developmental arc is likely to look like-- and plan for it. 

This means that self-carrying is in play sometime in elementary-- because there are still teachers and aides to offer coaching/reminders at that age, and get it to a state of automaticity by the time middle school rolls around. 

Understand and convey to both physician and school staffers that YES, you do understand that at the end of this arc, your child will have ownership and management of his/her allergy in the "real world."  THIS is about laying the proper foundation for that transition-- and making sure that it happens safely and in a way that is healthy and positive FOR YOUR INDIVIDUAL CHILD.

That arc isn't the same for all children, and they have different needs for scaffolding/supports for that reason.  This is the crux of why a nursing document or a school policy, no matter how thorough or well-intended, is entirely inadequate as an individual plan, IMHO.

Resistance isn't futile.  It's voltage divided by current. 

Western U.S.

guess

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
That's it.  That's what bugged me about the title.  I was rolling it around my mind thinking about how she must be in a state that offers great allowance for non-attorney advocates to represent legal matters like this because under my legal professional categorization I must disclose that I am not a lawyer and cannot offer legal advice.  I can work for lawyers without issue.

What CM is saying.  It's really about unique needs when it comes to 504.  I get the whole mistakes to avoid, guidance theme - it's a catchy title but the foundation of 504 and IEPs are unique needs.  When Dr. Zirkel issues something similar he would not make that mistake so I think the rest of us who are not lawyers should put the same caveat.

I should also say this: Massachusetts has about the best of the best sped and 504 support in terms of compliance, comparatively.  Many in Mass don't realize this and think the entire country works in the same level of compliance.  They don't know how bad it gets in other places.

That last bit will not make me any friends in the advocacy community running in MA.  But, it's true.

Overall, though, I would put this really as the core guideline towards drafting a solid 504 in my personal opinion.  I don't think anything will ever be perfect but it's a good core for strategy.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2014, 01:45:13 PM by guess »